Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,756 of 5,310
I am incredibly excited about BA4.First impressions are wonderful as far as I can see. UERM like natural? Gosh that's perfect. I guess we will hear Phil's name more and more. Also, those faceplates.... Man I am melted inside. I wish I could finish the master right now and find a job asap 
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to hear more about your impressions Project86.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,759 of 5,310
project86, I remember you have experience with UM Miracle, how do you compare it with BA4? It doesn't supposed to be pages and pages long, just a little paragraph would be more than enough.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,760 of 5,310
Quote:
Well that blows. Oh well, I'm testing out a $50 portable amp from Ebay soon, maybe I'll just use that until I can get my hands on an Arrow or something :p

The electric avenues PA2V2 is pretty nice, I've been using it for quite a few years. Not very portable for me anymore but a pretty nice amp for the price. I'm looking for something smaller now since I don't carry a bag or anything with me when I go out.

Hm, the BA4 sounds like what I want but I do want deep lows from time to time.. What to do. I don't listen to music with a lot of bass, I honestly don't know what type of sound signature I prefer but I think the most important thing to me is clarity. I want to be able to hear everything clearly so I'm guessing something neutral like the BA4 is what I'm looking for.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,761 of 5,310
Quote:
project86, I remember you have experience with UM Miracle, how do you compare it with BA4? It doesn't supposed to be pages and pages long, just a little paragraph would be more than enough.

Still need a lot more time with BA4, but for now - BA4 is more neutral, smaller bass impact, more direct presentation (less expansive soundstage). Miracle has deeper bass extension which might be considered too prominent by someone looking for pure neutrality. It also has slightly sharper upper mids. 

I'm realizing that the BA4 likes power. My Sansa Clip+ needs to go almost all the way up in volume before I reach a comfortable level. And using a better DAP like my iHiFi 960 gives me improved bass definition and more clarity. The BA4 is very revealing of source!

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,762 of 5,310
Quote:

Still need a lot more time with BA4, but for now - BA4 is more neutral, smaller bass impact, more direct presentation (less expansive soundstage). Miracle has deeper bass extension which might be considered too prominent by someone looking for pure neutrality. It also has slightly sharper upper mids. 

I'm realizing that the BA4 likes power. My Sansa Clip+ needs to go almost all the way up in volume before I reach a comfortable level. And using a better DAP like my iHiFi 960 gives me improved bass definition and more clarity. The BA4 is very revealing of source!

Thank you for your first impressions. Looking forward to hear from you more about BA4. Have you heard Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor? If you, would you compare both of them? Or, let me ask you like this, are you going to write a review about BA4? It would clear out many many questions I guess.

I feel like we will hear more about Phil and Cosmic Ears in the future. Keep up good work CE 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,763 of 5,310
Quote:
Thank you for your first impressions. Looking forward to hear from you more about BA4. Have you heard Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor? If you, would you compare both of them? Or, let me ask you like this, are you going to write a review about BA4? It would clear out many many questions I guess.

I feel like we will hear more about Phil and Cosmic Ears in the future. Keep up good work CE 
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the UERM myself, but I know several people who have it. I'm mostly judging the BA4 based on what I know about the UERM from them, along with my direct comparisons with some of my most neutral CIEMs like Earproof Atom, Heir 4.A and Frogbeats C4. I'll be reviewing it as part of a project I'm working on... due by the end of April. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,764 of 5,310
Quote:

I haven't heard the UERM myself, but I know several people who have it. I'm mostly judging the BA4 based on what I know about the UERM from them, along with my direct comparisons with some of my most neutral CIEMs like Earproof Atom, Heir 4.A and Frogbeats C4. I'll be reviewing it as part of a project I'm working on... due by the end of April. 

I can't wait
tongue.gif
Frogbeats C4 gets so much praises, I wonder how BA4 competes with them.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,765 of 5,310
Quote:

Thank you man also good luck on your project 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,766 of 5,310
I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the various models available. Is one of these a great jack-of-all-trades IEM? One of the hybrids maybe? My musical preferences are extremely broad, so it's hard to say what I'd be listening to at any given time when out and about.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,767 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the various models available. Is one of these a great jack-of-all-trades IEM? One of the hybrids maybe? My musical preferences are extremely broad, so it's hard to say what I'd be listening to at any given time when out and about.

That would probably go down to your preferred sound sig. Do you enjoy pure neutrality, revealing every truth in the music, good or (often) bad? Or do you like a little less treble and a little more bass? Jack of all trades will be different for everyone :) For example, would you say the Uptowns are close to your perfect sound, but you want to advance from there?

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,768 of 5,310
I'm not sure I've found my 'perfect' sound sig yet. I really enjoy the Uptowns, but I like my MH463s more. I'm not sure how well IEMs replicate soundstage and instrument separation, both of which I seem to value highly. Neutrality also seems to be something I enjoy, but I can't say I've heard a good V-shaped anything to compare apples-to-apples.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,770 of 5,310
You probably need to figure out your preferred sound sig before committing to a custom molded IEM. 

Most CIEM have the dynamics and transient response covered well enough to handle EQ, I would take an average CIEM before a slightly better run of the mill over-ear any day.

Besides, there are no freq. response charts and the last thing I trust is word of mouth when people jump a bandwagon and many people spout he-said-she-said as first hand information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back