Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Apr 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,771 of 5,310
Quote:
Most CIEM have the dynamics and transient response covered well enough to handle EQ, I would take an average CIEM before a slightly better run of the mill over-ear any day.

Besides, there are no freq. response charts and the last thing I trust is word of mouth when people jump a bandwagon and many people spout he-said-she-said as first hand information.

OK, thanks for telling us how you feel. I'm not sure how it relates to the questions BBEG was asking though.... he said he thinks he likes neutral but has never really heard a good example of a V-shaped sound signature. Doesn't it make sense for him to investigate what he really likes prior to making a commitment with a custom IEM? 

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,772 of 5,310
I know one thing and that is that it's extremely hard to find out your ultimate sound sig. I hate treblish/harsh headphones but I love the re-zero, grado rs2i and the treble of the srh1440/1840 was prett nice to listen to. I love the great soundstage/seperation the re-zero gives me but i read everywhere that cans are much better at soundstage and seperation.
I like a warm sound and hate a thin sound.

But I seem to get better at reading graphs. I dislike a 100hz dip (thin) and 7khz peak (harsh)
I feel like i might like in ears more then full size cans, don't know why that would be. :p but it might be true.

I bet there are more people in the same boat here.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,774 of 5,310
Quote:
Would the hy2/3 be good for gaming?

I doubt someone ever tried that. One can only guess so I give it a shot, I believe they perform way much better than regular cans, but they were not specially made for gaming, so I wouldn't expect an ultimate performance. However, as I said, without trying no one can say something solid.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,776 of 5,310
Yes, the option not to pick it is in the order menu.

Hopefully my ma2's should arrive this week.  Also I should be putting my tf10's in the post for a reshell as well.  Thinking of Black faceplate/Blue shell to kind of mimic the appearence of the tf10's.

Been a long road but should be there now :)

Cheers

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,777 of 5,310
How spooky is that?  After posting the above just randomly checked my email's to find one from phil/CE.  Monitors going out tomorrow, and could get them by the end of the week (though likely beginning of next :)

MA2 (old version) :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,778 of 5,310
Hey project86, I have a question for you. How do the BA4 compare to the TF10? The TF10 is about the only balanced armatures I own so that's all I have to base off of. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,779 of 5,310
Quote:
Hey project86, I have a question for you. How do the BA4 compare to the TF10? The TF10 is about the only balanced armatures I own so that's all I have to base off of. Thanks.

TF10 attempts a far more colored, exciting sound. I say "attempts" because it isn't always successful imo. But it's got exaggerated bass, sucked out mids, and tipped up highs compared to the BA4. The TF10 lover would say the BA4 sounds too sterile and cold. The lover of neutral sound would say the TF10 is a caricature of what real music should sound like. 

Essentially, the two don't really compete for the same audience, if that makes any sense. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,784 of 5,310
Quote:

TF10 attempts a far more colored, exciting sound. I say "attempts" because it isn't always successful imo. But it's got exaggerated bass, sucked out mids, and tipped up highs compared to the BA4. The TF10 lover would say the BA4 sounds too sterile and cold. The lover of neutral sound would say the TF10 is a caricature of what real music should sound like. 

Essentially, the two don't really compete for the same audience, if that makes any sense. 

I have a HY3 from Cosmic Ears and also a TF10 reshelled by them as a CIEM. The difference between the two is like day and night. The HY3 is balanced, smooth and relatively neutral, with good quality, extended bass, very slightly recessed mids and a slightly rolled off treble at the top end. The reshelled TF10 on the other has pronounced mid-bass (without being able to manage the extension of the HY3) and a bright treble, with considerably more recessed mids.

The HY3 is superior to my reshelled TF10 musically, for every single genre of music I have, with the possible exception of Classic Rock, where the TF10's 'V' shaped sound sig, suits it very well.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,785 of 5,310
Quote:

I have a HY3 from Cosmic Ears and also a TF10 reshelled by them as a CIEM. The difference between the two is like day and night. The HY3 is balanced, smooth and relatively neutral, with good quality, extended bass, very slightly recessed mids and a slightly rolled off treble at the top end. The reshelled TF10 on the other has pronounced mid-bass (without being able to manage the extension of the HY3) and a bright treble, with considerably more recessed mids.

The HY3 is superior to my reshelled TF10 musically, for every single genre of music I have, with the possible exception of Classic Rock, where the TF10's 'V' shaped sound sig, suits it very well.

I'm getting really interested in this brand, I would really like to purchase a model from them. I was thinking the BA4. However, the molds need the extend passed the second bend of the ear canal. However, that bend so big in my ear canal, that it completely blocks the rest of the ear canal. Is it even possible for me to get custom in ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back