Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Dec 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,216 of 5,310
Quote:
I can't wait to hear your impressions, I always loved the TF10 but felt it lacked a bit on the lows so it will definitely be interesting to see what they will be like with the added dynamic driver.

That's exactly my experience with them. They are years old as a design now, and while the bass is good and the 'V' shaped signature accentuates it even more, where I found they always lacked with modern music is the sub-bass. largely I suspect because sub-bass did not have a large place in music when the TF10 was designed and was therefore not really a consideration. Someone on the TF10 appreciation forums, told me that according to measurements of the TF10, they are able to hit sub-bass no problem and advised me some EQ settings to try, which I did, but still there is sub-bass rolloff. They don't cope anywhere near as well with sub-bass as my Vsonic GR07, my T-PEOS H-100 or my CE HY3, which all contain dynamics. I am well aware that modern BA's are capable of resolving sub-bass, but the TF10 isn't a modern BA.

Phil thought it would be an interesting experiment to try a Dynamic with the TF10's BA's and I agreed with him that it would be fun to try it. Nothing to lose by experimenting eh ? 
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,217 of 5,310
This album with the HY3. Stunning. It has been mastered really well and has a great soundstage and lovely funky, rumbly basslines and punchy drums. Plus, Bill Hicks pops up with advice about getting stoned and playing the sitar ! What more could you want...
biggrin.gif

My thanks to H20Fidelity for introducing this to me in the first place. Those of you that like things like Younger Brother and OTT, should check this out...

http://kalyascintilla.bandcamp.com/album/dance-the-spiral-never-ending-2

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,218 of 5,310
That's exactly my experience with them. They are years old as a design now, and while the bass is good and the 'V' shaped signature accentuates it even more, where I found they always lacked with modern music is the sub-bass. largely I suspect because sub-bass did not have a large place in music when the TF10 was designed and was therefore not really a consideration. Someone on the TF10 appreciation forums, told me that according to measurements of the TF10, they are able to hit sub-bass no problem and advised me some EQ settings to try, which I did, but still there is sub-bass rolloff. They don't cope anywhere near as well with sub-bass as my Vsonic GR07, my T-PEOS H-100 or my CE HY3, which all contain dynamics. I am well aware that modern BA's are capable of resolving sub-bass, but the TF10 isn't a modern BA.

Phil thought it would be an interesting experiment to try a Dynamic with the TF10's BA's and I agreed with him that it would be fun to try it. Nothing to lose by experimenting eh ? :cool:
No harm in trying. If it turns out like we hope, you sir will have a lot of people wishing they could do what you did!

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,219 of 5,310
Don't know whether it's come up in the topic or not, but received an email from Phil saying they'll put frequency graphs for each model as they have no demo units. That'd would make things easier. :) Think I'm also going to wait with ordering until new cables are available. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,220 of 5,310
Oooh nice! frequency response graphs would be really cool! That way I can compare it really nicely, altough it is hard to judge sound according to frequency response. For me the most important thing is that the treble isn't harsh and that the seperation/soundstage is very good. Both something my akg K550 sucks at. 

As some good news, my pure starts to sound pretty impressive! That's good to hear so i'm going to write a short review to phil and you guys soon.

:D

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,221 of 5,310
I know that's hard to say how exactly will earphones sound, but stil it's better than nothing. :) I also don't want anything harsh sounding. Don't know whether analytical sound could be smooth, though. Analytical, smooth sound with good soundstage is a way to go. :D Wonder if CE has something like that in their arsenal.

Btw, K550 have a quite good soundstage. Yes, high were piercing for me too.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,222 of 5,310
Quote:
Don't know whether it's come up in the topic or not, but received an email from Phil saying they'll put frequency graphs for each model as they have no demo units. That'd would make things easier. :) Think I'm also going to wait with ordering until new cables are available. 

That's nice, but I honestly don't know how to read them.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,223 of 5,310
Well it's prety hard to read without alot of experience, I'm only able to read the sub treble region a little bit now, the highs were going all the way up and down for me to learn. And fr is only a very small factor of the sound!

I'm going to write something about the Pure now.
I will start regarding a little fit issue I have.
Phil just sent me an email that he saw I have some fit issues and he offered to fix it. Isn't that a great service? :D My left ear doesn't fit perfectly but I've found a way to still get a good seal so my review is atleast trustworthy.

The Pure's best point, Well now I'm stuck, I want to say comfort and I want to say soundstage, maybe even how lovely they sound.
I'm really starting to like them :) They were ok in the beginning and I didn't expect them to sound any better. The goal of my purchase was to get to know customs (and I couldn't wait for the stocks to go back up
biggrin.gif
) They satisfied me for that purpose but they wouldn't do for a go to custom for work or in public. They had a few edges here and there. 
Now a lot of hours of listening later I've completely changed my mind. They do suffice for work now :D They really sound lovely. Nothing strange about them anymore, absolutely great soundstage and a nice seperation too.  They exceeded my expectations by far now. I prefer these over my akg k550. They don't have the detail my akg have. They might lack a bit in the higher end of the treble but they are much easier to listen to. You ears won't get pierced with treble. So in every other aspect they sound better.  
I prefer them over my senn hd518 too. The sound is somewhat comparable but the bass is less muddy.

If you want a nice sounding IEM with great isolation, absolutely great comfort and pretty impressive soundstage. Then wait no longer and get that damned Pure! Phil is a great guy too with some really good service! He even gave me a free cable :) So now I have a choice for white and black. 

Did i forget anything? Should I say anything more? :) Just ask me!

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,224 of 5,310
The Pure's best point, Well now I'm stuck, I want to say comfort and I want to say soundstage, maybe even how lovely they sound.
I'm really starting to like them :) They were ok in the beginning and I didn't expect them to sound any better. The goal of my purchase was to get to know customs (and I couldn't wait for the stocks to go back up:D ) They satisfied me for that purpose but they wouldn't do for a go to custom for work or in public. They had a few edges here and there. 
Now a lot of hours of listening later I've completely changed my mind. They do suffice for work now :D They really sound lovely. Nothing strange about them anymore, absolutely great soundstage and a nice seperation too.  They exceeded my expectations by far now. I prefer these over my akg k550. They don't have the detail my akg have. They might lack a bit in the higher end of the treble but they are much easier to listen to. You ears won't get pierced with treble. So in every other aspect they sound better.  
I prefer them over my senn hd518 too. The sound is somewhat comparable but the bass is less muddy.

If you want a nice sounding IEM with great isolation, absolutely great comfort and pretty impressive soundstage. Then wait no longer and get that damned Pure! Phil is a great guy too with some really good service! He even gave me a free cable :) So now I have a choice for white and black. 

Did i forget anything? Should I say anything more? :) Just ask me!

Sounds great, seems to say good bass, good soundstage, slightly recessed highs. Nice impressions!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,225 of 5,310
A dual BA with a dynamic driver? I gotta hear that...

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,226 of 5,310
This wait is getting longer and more difficult to bear by the minute.

Holycheese's positive comments about the pure make me tempted to pull the trigger, just to have something as an introduction to customs, and then wait until next year or longer for something bigger.
However, I got the soundmagic PL30's the other day and was rather impressed. I haven't fully made my mind up about them yet, but I was still disappointed that I couldn't differentiate them so well from my phonak 112's. That kind of made me a bit hesitant.

As always, full of difficult choices...

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #1,228 of 5,310
Quote:
 You couldn't tell the difference between phonaks and pl30? Do they play very similar? That'd be outstanding due to difference in price.

Oh no, there is definitely a difference. I guess what I was trying to say is that it didn't smack me in the face as much as I expected, that's the thing with reading a lot of forums, you approach something new with a lot of expectations.
Remember I've only recently got them, and I notice more differences between the two as the days go on.
It's 30 vs. ~100$ if I remember correctly, so hopefully there should be a significant step up, at the same time soundmagic has a reputation for good sound/price performance.

Then again, the pure aren't much more than the phonaks :D

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,230 of 5,310
Another minor tease update on cosmic ears facebook page :-

"2013 is soon here and soon we will be announcing our new model line up for 2013"

We already know about the HY2 and BA4, I wonder what else they have lined up :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back