Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Dec 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,202 of 5,310
I guessed TF10 drivers!
(you left it out of your quote!)

Also, as a total aside, how are you liking the VC02?

The VC02 are quite amazing for their price. I certainly haven't heard anything as good up to at the least the $100 mark. They are musical straight out of the box and suit absolutely everything you throw at them. They might not suit extreme bassheads, but they are not lacking in bass, everything is just right. Astonishing value for money.

EDIT: Removable cables, tiny IEM's that can be worn normally, or with deep insertion and how they manage to get that sound out of a 3mm micro-driver is a feat of engineering in itself. For me, it has redefined what you can expect from a budget IEM. At £25 form ebay, delivered to the UK, it's an absolute steal.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,206 of 5,310
very excited for you opinion, hope they are good!

I suspect this is only going to go one of two ways, Swiimsonny. Either it will be a work of genius, that everyone else will wish they had done before, or it will assault my ears in such a way that I end up with permanent hearing loss. :D

Clearly, I am hoping for the former :D

Either way though, it will be unique and an experience, and you need those sort of things in your life.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,208 of 5,310
yes no your lucky for getting to try and i hope for the former too!

TF10's have to be the most reshelled IEM around. Mostly, I suspect, because people love the sound of them but struggle with the fit. I have seen many companies offering re-shells of them, indeed some of them can add additional drivers too, but always, the additional drivers are BA's.

What I have never seen, is anyone adding a dynamic to a TF10 reshell and when Phil suggested it to me as an experiment, I thought "absolutely, why not, who knows how good it might be". My TF10's had been gathering dust since I got my HY3 and I guess I could have sold them, but why not take the chance to turn them into something more than they ever were, eh ? :cool:

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,210 of 5,310
I hope it'll work out good!

And i;m jealous of your ears. Mine are probably too small for a HY3 of 4 BA :frowning2:

Thanks dude.

My ears aren't huge either, in fact CE struggled with my HY3 initially because my ears were too shallow. Phil went back to the drawing board and re-did the shells with more depth to accommodate all the drivers. While it means the HY3 don't sit perfectly flush with the hollow of my ear, neither do they stick out, and I can lie on them quite happily. It's surprising what can be done.

BA's take up much less room too. You might well find that a 4BA takes up less room than a Hybrid and may still be an option for you, even with small ears.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,212 of 5,310
Damn that's a surprise!.
I hope that these work out, and that Phil re-considers offering this as an option.
It'll be fascinating to read your reaction to them.
I hardly ever listen to my TF10's.
Partly because of the recessed mids, but mostly due to the discomfort.
It's a real shame as they're pretty excellent otherwise.
I've often considered getting them re-shelled by one of the cheaper companies, or 'upgraded' to a greater driver count, but no-one in the EU does this, so costs escalate quickly, especially if fit adjustments are required.

I've just picked up the 'stand-in' monitors Cosmic kindly made from the remains of my shattered Flex, and they are GREAT.
I really like the colours ( see my sig' pic' ) and the finish is fine too despite Phil saying that if I were paying for them he wouldn't send them out as they don't quite meet his quality control standards.
There's some barely noticeable bubbles in the shells, but really, you have to look very close, and even if I'd paid [more] for these I'd be quite happy.
The fit is also excellent, almost exactly the same as the deceased flex, with a very tiny adjustment that I'd requested, suffice to say that someone who barely manages 20 mins at a time with most 'phones of any kind has has these CIEM's in for @ 3.5 hours straight now!

The transparency is great, and I like being able to see what's going on inside.
I do prefer the smoke/red colours to the purple and I'll definitely request a custom colour over the stock purple.

Phil only used the DD from the flex as the BA's had been damaged, and I'm quite surprised that these single drivers can sound as good as they do!
Not as 'clean' a sound as the Flex, but still plenty of bass and texture.
Although slightly recessed, vocals, both male and female are nicely rendered and quite satisfying.
Highs are not 'clean' enough, or forward enough to satisfy real treble heads, but as I'm adverse to harsh or shrill highs I'm very happy with the softer signature compared to my TF10's.

I'm assuming lots of folk are going to jump on these cheaper Pure models as an alternative to high end universal fit IEMs.
I prefer mine to almost all of my IEM's ( Sound Magic PL30's, PFE 112's ) in terms of sound.
I do still prefer my TF10's even with the recessed mid's though as they're just cleaner and crisper.
Despite being tighter though there are areas where I prefer the sound of the dynamic drivers ( bass extension and 'rumble', freedom from the occasional piercing upper mid/treble of the TF ).
Overall, the Cosmic's are quite a bit muddier and more 'woolly', but these are wildly different price points though so the comparison is grossly unfair to the Cosmic's.

The biggest draw for me though is the comfort/isolation advantage offered by customs.
If they meet the grade sonically and financially it's a no brainer.
These are going to be great 'mobile' 'phones.

I still can't decide whether to replace my Flex's with another Flex or wait for the BA4 though, and the thought that Phil could possibly turn the TF10 into something better, further compounds things :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,213 of 5,310
Damn that's a surprise!.
I hope that these work out, and that Phil re-considers offering this as an option.
It'll be fascinating to read your reaction to them.
I hardly ever listen to my TF10's.

I've just picked up the 'stand-in' monitors Cosmic kindly made from the remains of my shattered Flex, and they are GREAT.
I really like the colours ( see my sig' pic' ) and the finish is fine too despite Phil saying that if I were paying for them he wouldn't send them out as they don't quite meet his quality control standards.
There's some barely noticeable bubbles in the shells, but really, you have to look very close, and even if I'd paid [more] for these I'd be quite happy.
The fit is also excellent, almost exactly the same as the deceased flex, with a very tiny adjustment that I'd requested, suffice to say that someone who barely manages 20 mins at a time with most 'phones of any kind has has these CIEM's in for @ 3.5 hours straight now!

The transparency is great, and I like being able to see what's going on inside.
I do prefer the smoke/red colours to the purple and I'll definitely request a custom colour over the stock purple.

Phil only used the DD from the flex as the BA's had been damaged, and I'm quite surprised that these single drivers can sound as good as they do!
Not as 'clean' a sound as the Flex, but still plenty of bass and texture.
Although slightly recessed, vocals, both male and female are nicely rendered and quite satisfying.
Highs are not 'clean' enough, or forward enough to satisfy real treble heads, but as I'm adverse to harsh or shrill highs I'm very happy with the softer signature compared to my TF10's.

I'm assuming lots of folk are going to jump on these cheaper Pure models as an alternative to high end universal fit IEMs.
I prefer mine to almost all of my IEM's ( Sound Magic PL30's, PFE 112's ) in terms of sound.
I do still prefer my TF10's even with the recessed mid's though as they're just cleaner and crisper.
Despite being tighter though there are areas where I prefer the sound of the dynamic drivers ( bass extension and 'rumble', freedom from the occasional piercing upper mid/treble of the TF ).
Overall, the Cosmic's are quite a bit muddier and more 'woolly', but these are wildly different price points though so the comparison is grossly unfair to the Cosmic's.

The biggest draw for me though is the comfort/isolation advantage offered by customs.
If they meet the grade sonically and financially it's a no brainer.
These are going to be great 'mobile' 'phones.

I still can't decide whether to replace my Flex's with another Flex or wait for the BA4 though, and the thought that Phil could possibly turn the TF10 into something better, further compounds things :)

So you prefer the pure dynamic from Cosmic over pl30s and 112.. And I went back to Project's first page review which said the pure had better soundstage than the pure plus... Hmm.. I like the description that both you guys are giving of large sounstage and good bass texture.

Do you think the base model pure would actually be better than getting a BA from Cosmic if the size and depth of the soundstage is the main criteria? If possible, can you des robe the sound of the pure to the pl30?:D

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,214 of 5,310
Quote:
TF10's have to be the most reshelled IEM around. Mostly, I suspect, because people love the sound of them but struggle with the fit. I have seen many companies offering re-shells of them, indeed some of them can add additional drivers too, but always, the additional drivers are BA's.
What I have never seen, is anyone adding a dynamic to a TF10 reshell and when Phil suggested it to me as an experiment, I thought "absolutely, why not, who knows how good it might be". My TF10's had been gathering dust since I got my HY3 and I guess I could have sold them, but why not take the chance to turn them into something more than they ever were, eh ?
cool.gif

I can't wait to hear your impressions, I always loved the TF10 but felt it lacked a bit on the lows so it will definitely be interesting to see what they will be like with the added dynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back