Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #406 of 5,310
Correct, no reshells.

I added this to another thread but I figure it is worth posting here as well. Just a quick summary of the models I've been listening to so far.

1) Basic Pure model with dynamic driver ($100) is a sort of "good for the masses" type sound, but probably not good enough to satisfy most dedicated HeadFiers. It's got big, fun bass and somewhat recessed mids and highs. This is more for the iBud user who wants to get a really comfy fit and isn't terribly focused on SQ.

2) Pure Plus with the single BA driver ($130) is where it starts getting good. Not the best sounding IEM in the world but definitely enjoyable - smooth highs that don't get in your face, very respectable bass depth and impact, and overall just a clean sounding enjoyable IEM without any significant flaws. I think most HeadFiers would enjoy these as long as they aren't expecting to get JH13 level sound for $130, especially as a workout, yardwork, throw-in-the-bag-and-go type IEM that is secondary to your more expensive main earphones. Or they could be very satisfying as main headphones for someone on a budget.

3) Flex with the twin BA driver ($160). The Flex comes in many configurations (hence the term "Flex") - mine has the twin BA driver (proprietary to Cosmic Ears) and the micro-sized shell. I have a bit of a fit issue on the left side but I can still get a decent seal when I insert it just so. This thing sounds really good! Neutral, fast, solid bass that has great punch to it, and more sparkle up top than the single BA model. Still, it's not a bright sounding IEM, having a nice smoothness to it. This model is good enough to where I'd call it competitive for the price even if it was a universal model. The fact that it is a custom IEM for this price is very impressive.

4) I've got another Flex on the way in the next 3-4 weeks. It will be the hybrid triple driver configuration with dual BA drivers and a dynamic for lows. It can be just over $300 in basic form but I got mine up to a whopping $375 by maxing it out with practically all the options (premium detachable cable, recessed sockets, blue color). I'm especially excited to hear this one - it uses the same twin BA driver as my other Flex but tuned differently because of the dynamic that handles the lows (which is a different dynamic than the base model Pure). This has potential to be a killer value. Most of the competition at this price uses dual BA drivers at best. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #407 of 5,310
I can't wait to get my Flex with the dual BA's and I sure hope my ear impressions were good but I think they are cuz the audiologist did a very thorough job imo.  If I like the pair I'm getting a lot and the reviews for the 3 driver hybrid are good I'll probably get a set of thoughs as well.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #408 of 5,310
Very excited to hear your review of hybrid with dual balance armatures.  Cheapest Ive seen was the TS842 which was a couple hundred more +shipping and was a single ba and dynamic...

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #410 of 5,310
Ok so I've used the flex micro with twin BA for about a week now and here are my initial impressions.

Sound:

As these are the first CIEM's I've owned I don't think I'm in the best position to give an objective view of the sound. But as a newbie head-fier who has owned numerous dynamic universals ranging from ultra-cheap to reasonably-expensive and quite a few BA universals as well (edit: for example UE100, -350, -500, Sennheiser CX300II, ATH CKS70 for dynamics and UE700 and TF10 for BA), , I have to say I am quite blown away by the SQ on these bad boys. I am somewhat of a bass-head, so signature-wise I wasn't expecting much, and as I expected, the signature is pretty flat and balanced when I tried them out un-EQ'd and un-amped (are those real words?). I was really happy to find that the balance between mids and highs actually fit my preferences perfectly, as I am someone who enjoys quite a flat sound right down to the sub-bass, where I enjoy quite a powerful boost (I guess you could call that a L-shaped sig?). So at first listen (no amp/eq), I was blown away by the clarity they offer, and the bass pretty much met my expectations. Pretty good bass-extension, but as one could expect, not very boosted. It is when I hooked them up to my Fiio E17 and started boosting the low end, 2db at a time, and I could not believe what I was hearing! With pretty much every headphone I've owned to date I usually end up leaving the bass setting on the Fiio at max (+10db). Not with these! I'm at +6db now (treble +0) and this is exactly the sound signature I've been looking for. 

Build quality

From what I can see and feel, the shells are flawless and have a really solid feel to them. The purple color is awesome! Can't imagine what it would take to brake the shells (let's hope I don't find out anytime soon :wink: )! The basic cables have a tendency to tangle a bit, but other than that they feel solid and if the slider is used correctly, microphonics are not very bad either. It kinda bugs me that I can't replace them with braided or sleeved purple ones tho :)

Fit, comfort and isolation

For me the fit is absolutely perfect! As I have never used any other CIEM's, including a full sized set, so I really can't compare it to other CIEM's. Versus anything else they are far superior. I have used everything from silicone tips (single, double triple-flange), to comply foam tips (my previous favorite) all the way to home made custom sleeves (that's right!). All the previously mentioned tips fatigue my ear canals after some time of use and I have to take micro breaks in my listening sessions. Today I spent 5 h in one sitting with the flex micro shells in my ears and I just didn't want to take them out! The fit gets even better when they warm up to your body temperature, and it really feels like something is hugging you ear canal from the inside out. I also did i side by side comparison with the micro shells vs. standard earplugs for isolation and for me, they isolate pretty much the same. I will however choose the flex micros next time i go to a front row concert or a electro-club-gig since they are far superior comfort wise. I imagine the medium and full size shells will isolate even better. 

Value and overall satisfaction

All in all I have to give these five gold stars for customer satisfaction! Really happy with what I got for the few bucks I spent. The customer service of CE was nothing short of amazing and Phil is a really nice guy. Let's see what they have in store for Nov 12:th. Might become a returning customer earlier that expected :)

I have also realized that I have now entered CIEM territory and there is no turning back :) Might write a full review in a few years when I have accumulated a little more experience in the CIEM sphere :)

Thank you CE and thank you Phil!

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #411 of 5,310
Quote:
Ok so I've used the flex micro with twin BA for about a week now and here are my initial impressions.

Sound:

As these are the first CIEM's I've owned I don't think I'm in the best position to give an objective view of the sound. But as a newbie head-fier who has owned numerous dynamic universals ranging from ultra-cheap to reasonably-expensive and quite a few BA universals as well, I have to say I am quite blown away by the SQ on these bad boys. I am somewhat of a bass-head, so signature-wise I wasn't expecting much, and as I expected, the signature is pretty flat and balanced when I tried them out un-EQ'd and un-amped (are those real words?). I was really happy to find that the balance between mids and highs actually fit my preferences perfectly, as I am someone who enjoys quite a flat sound right down to the sub-bass, where I enjoy quite a powerful boost (I guess you could call that a L-shaped sig?). So at first listen (no amp/eq), I was blown away by the clarity they offer, and the bass pretty much met my expectations. Pretty good bass-extension, but as one could expect, not very boosted. It is when I hooked them up to my Fiio E17 and started boosting the low end, 2db at a time, and I could not believe what I was hearing! With pretty much every headphone I've owned to date I usually end up leaving the bass setting on the Fiio at max (+10db). Not with these! I'm at +6db now (treble +0) and this is exactly the sound signature I've been looking for. 

Build quality

From what I can see and feel, the shells are flawless and have a really solid feel to them. The purple color is awesome, and it kinda bugs me that I can't replace them with braided or sleeved purple ones :) Can't imagine what it would take to brake the shells (let's hope I don't find out anytime soon :wink: )! The basic cables have a tendency to tangle a bit, but other than that they feel solid and if the slider is used correctly, microphonics are not very bad either.

For me the fit is absolutely perfect! As I have never used any other CIEM's, including a full sized set, so I really can't compare it to other CIEM's. Versus anything else they are far superior. I have used everything from silicone tips (single, double triple-flange), to comply foam tips (my previous favorite) all the way to home made custom sleeves (that's right!). All the previously mentioned tips fatigue my ear canals after some time of use and I have to take micro breaks in my listening sessions. Today I spent 5 h in one sitting with the flex micro shells in my ears and I just didn't want to take them out! The fit gets even better when they warm up to your body temperature, and it really feels like something is hugging you ear canal from the inside out. I also did i side by side comparison with the micro shells vs. standard earplugs for isolation and for me, they isolate pretty much the same. I will however choose the flex micros next time i go to a front row concert or a electro-club-gig since they are far superior comfort wise. I imagine the medium and full size shells will isolate even better. 

All in all I have to give these five gold stars for customer satisfaction! Really happy with what I got for the few bucks I spent. The customer service of CE was nothing short of amazing and Phil is a really nice guy. Let's see what they have in store for Nov 12:th. Might become a returning customer earlier that expected :)

I have also realized that I have now entered CIEM territory and there is no turning back :) Might write a full review in a few years when I have accumulated a little more experience in the CIEM sphere :)

nice mate!

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #412 of 5,310
All these reviews of the twin BA Flex Series are quite positive so I don't see why the rest wouldn't have the same good build an SQ.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #413 of 5,310
Quote:
But as a newbie head-fier who has owned numerous dynamic universals ranging from ultra-cheap to reasonably-expensive and quite a few BA universals as well, 

Names please. No "generic laundry detergent" like in TV ads. 
tongue.gif

I will however choose the flex micros next time i go to a front row concert 

Only if you don't care about sound quality. Otherwise, consider using musician earplugs.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #414 of 5,310
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #416 of 5,310
No impressions of the Flex with triple ba drivers yet?

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #417 of 5,310
I have just got ear impressions done today and have ordered the HY3 model.

For those looking to get impressions done in the Belfast area in Northern Ireland, Samuel Lewis Hearing Centre on Orby Drive do it for £30. Boots Hearing Centre's wanted to charge me £102, which I regard as daylight robbery, and I couldn't find a branch of Specsavers locally that would do it at all.

I'll be getting my impressions off in the post tomorrow, but given that there is a backlog with Cosmic Ears as regards cable supply, it might be a few weeks yet before I am able to post back any thoughts on the sound.

I will be particularly interested to hear how these compare with my UE TF10's, which I love except for sub-bass, where they are pretty poor and I much prefer my VSonic GR07's for music that contains low level bass.

Like others here, this will be my first pair of CIEM's, so I am excited :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #418 of 5,310
Quote:
I have just got ear impressions done today and have ordered the HY3 model.

For those looking to get impressions done in the Belfast area in Northern Ireland, Samuel Lewis Hearing Centre on Orby Drive do it for £30. Boots Hearing Centre's wanted to charge me £102, which I regard as daylight robbery, and I couldn't find a branch of Specsavers locally that would do it at all.

I'll be getting my impressions off in the post tomorrow, but given that there is a backlog with Cosmic Ears as regards cable supply, it might be a few weeks yet before I am able to post back any thoughts on the sound.

I will be particularly interested to hear how these compare with my UE TF10's, which I love except for sub-bass, where they are pretty poor and I much prefer my VSonic GR07's for music that contains low level bass.

Like others here, this will be my first pair of CIEM's, so I am excited :)

Which shell size did you choose? I'm very interested in your future impressions about how the HY3 compare to the GR07...

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #419 of 5,310
Quote:

Which shell size did you choose? I'm very interested in your future impressions about how the HY3 compare to the GR07...

what is the advantage of full sized custom shells over medium sized? wouldn't people want smaller form factor for the reduced weight?
i am very bothered by my tf-10's big shell and its over the ear style fit...
wish there were more non-over-ear type cables... on customs...

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #420 of 5,310
Quote:

Sound:

As these are the first CIEM's I've owned I don't think I'm in the best position to give an objective view of the sound. But as a newbie head-fier who has owned numerous dynamic universals ranging from ultra-cheap to reasonably-expensive and quite a few BA universals as well (edit: for example UE100, -350, -500, Sennheiser CX300II, ATH CKS70 for dynamics and UE700 and TF10 for BA), , I have to say I am quite blown away by the SQ on these bad boys. I am somewhat of a bass-head, so signature-wise I wasn't expecting much, and as I expected, the signature is pretty flat and balanced when I tried them out un-EQ'd and un-amped (are those real words?). I was really happy to find that the balance between mids and highs actually fit my preferences perfectly, as I am someone who enjoys quite a flat sound right down to the sub-bass, where I enjoy quite a powerful boost (I guess you could call that a L-shaped sig?). So at first listen (no amp/eq), I was blown away by the clarity they offer, and the bass pretty much met my expectations. Pretty good bass-extension, but as one could expect, not very boosted. It is when I hooked them up to my Fiio E17 and started boosting the low end, 2db at a time, and I could not believe what I was hearing! With pretty much every headphone I've owned to date I usually end up leaving the bass setting on the Fiio at max (+10db). Not with these! I'm at +6db now (treble +0) and this is exactly the sound signature I've been looking for. 

Build quality

From what I can see and feel, the shells are flawless and have a really solid feel to them. The purple color is awesome! Can't imagine what it would take to brake the shells (let's hope I don't find out anytime soon :wink: )! The basic cables have a tendency to tangle a bit, but other than that they feel solid and if the slider is used correctly, microphonics are not very bad either. It kinda bugs me that I can't replace them with braided or sleeved purple ones tho :)

awesome impression , could you kindly compare your twin flex micro with TF-10 , and if you have shure 530?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back