Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,636 of 5,310

And then you'll say: "I could have one for each day of the week, that would be ok"
Well, after that, like me, you're a lost case
cool.gif

I'm gonna stick around and you'd see if I would come to that conclusion. but really, all i can see is I'm gonna get 3 differents CIEM, 2 for stage usage and 1 for the daily usage, maybe another extra for the spare. I don't think i'm gonna go that far to get 7 ciems this year :D

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,637 of 5,310
SE 5way Ref (it even won with Harmony 8 pro).

Since I really enjoyed BA4r (I like CE smooth house sound and in particular subbass quantity and overal bass PRaT) I'm waiting for 10 driver model from Phil:wink:

I was also tempted to go big and order SE 5way, but because of the high price point, I'd get it later i suppose. And yeah, i'm also excited for the coming CE10 :)

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,638 of 5,310
Did anyone compare JH Audio 13Pro vs CE6P? I'm interested mostly in technical capabilities like imaging, resolution, separation, dynamics, extension on both ends, but what is most important is sound realism (my 5way Ref has so real sound and this differentiates it from any other CIEM; I was told that 13Pro is similar in realism to 5way Ref and I'm wondering whether CE6P has this realism). 

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,639 of 5,310
  Did anyone compare JH Audio 13Pro vs CE6P? I'm interested mostly in technical capabilities like imaging, resolution, separation, dynamics, extension on both ends, but what is most important is sound realism (my 5way Ref has so real sound and this differentiates it from any other CIEM; I was told that 13Pro is similar in realism to 5way Ref and I'm wondering whether CE6P has this realism). 

I've got both (albeit the JH13's are re-shelled by Phil - great job too). The JH13s are good but I prefer the CE6Ps, they sound more neutral and natural to my ears. I'm currently using them with the Cayin N6 and can't wait to use them with the Paw Gold. The imaging is on a par with both IEMs, although the seperation sounds slightly better to me on the CEs, along with the dynamics. The bass sounds tighter on the CEs but the treble has a touch more shimmer on the JH13s.

When I had the Cowon P1, the JH13's sounded as if something was missing in the sound whereas the CE6Ps made that player sing! Definitely gave the music more presence. A perfect synergy there! Also the same with the Calyx and N6 (being blown away by the sound as I type).

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,642 of 5,310
Anyone have any input on the difference between CE6P and E? I guess its only the bass, but how large is the difference? 

I guess I like bass a bit above neutral, but not taking all the attention. Would that sound like a P for me?

I kind of liked the bass from SE846, would probably prefer it turned down somewhat though but sounded linear and not with bloated midbass IMO.

Thanks for any input

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #4,643 of 5,310
Where abouts are you in the world?  If not too distant you could always ask for a demo of the p to see if it would be too neutral for you.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,645 of 5,310
Does anybody know whether CE is using DIY testing equipment or professional one? Moreover, are there any persons who reshelled any other manafucturers CIEMs with CE, but had comparison to the original sound before reshell?
I'm considering buying second hand NT-6 and need to be sure that NT-6 as reshelled by CE will have the same sound as the original sound.
I honestly believe in Phil, but you know when it comes to those sort of things one need to be sure and not only base his decisions on believing:)

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #4,646 of 5,310
  Does anybody know whether CE is using DIY testing equipment or professional one? Moreover, are there any persons who reshelled any other manafucturers CIEMs with CE, but had comparison to the original sound before reshell?
I'm considering buying second hand NT-6 and need to be sure that NT-6 as reshelled by CE will have the same sound as the original sound.
I honestly believe in Phil, but you know when it comes to those sort of things one need to be sure and not only base his decisions on believing:)

Without going into all the details we use an ear simulator from RSTech, it is basically a G.R.A.S. ear simulator, it behaves and measures exactly the same as the G.R.A.S. We use SMAART and REW for the software.

One has to remember that special care has to be taken in simulating an ear, just buying something off the shelf is not enough when testing IEMs due to the resonance of the ear canal, this is something I have incorporated into our ear simulator.

The reason we don't make public all the measurements is that unless you know the exact setup of the measurement equipment and have an understanding how to read the measurements in conjunction with the equipment it can lead to misinterpretation. We have provided customers with the details before with this explanation and then the measurements are posted and then compared to measurements from other equipment and then the debate begins. I do not want to explain the exact setup we have as I mentioned earlier it is tweaked to simulator the ear as close as possible and this information is confidential.

It is totally impossible to design any good sound with a fully configured and calibrated measurement setup.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,647 of 5,310

Without going into all the details we use an ear simulator from RSTech, it is basically a G.R.A.S. ear simulator, it behaves and measures exactly the same as the G.R.A.S. We use SMAART and REW for the software.

One has to remember that special care has to be taken in simulating an ear, just buying something off the shelf is not enough when testing IEMs due to the resonance of the ear canal, this is something I have incorporated into our ear simulator.

The reason we don't make public all the measurements is that unless you know the exact setup of the measurement equipment and have an understanding how to read the measurements in conjunction with the equipment it can lead to misinterpretation. We have provided customers with the details before with this explanation and then the measurements are posted and then compared to measurements from other equipment and then the debate begins. I do not want to explain the exact setup we have as I mentioned earlier it is tweaked to simulator the ear as close as possible and this information is confidential.

It is totally impossible to design any good sound with a fully configured and calibrated measurement setup.

Phil, my aim was not to receive detailed information about your measurement equipment or discuss whether you should or should not provide the customers with graphs. I just wanted to confirm that you have professional equipment and not DIY/hom-made equipment based on some cheap microphone and it looks to me that this is the case.

Based on my knowledge, proper measurement equipment is crucial in doing reshells of other CIEMs as the reshelling company doesn't have cross-over details of the reshelled CIEM and it needs to figure it out somehow. Although cross-over details are sometimes clearly visible, but sometimes they aren't  and in such a case IMHO testing equipment is crucial in doing proper reshell (as reshelling company needs to measure each driver to see where are the cross-over points).

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,648 of 5,310

Phil, my aim was not to receive detailed information about your measurement equipment or discuss whether you should or should not provide the customers with graphs. I just wanted to confirm that you have professional equipment and not DIY/hom-made equipment based on some cheap microphone and it looks to me that this is the case.

Based on my knowledge, proper measurement equipment is crucial in doing reshells of other CIEMs as the reshelling company doesn't have cross-over details of the reshelled CIEM and it needs to figure it out somehow. Although cross-over details are sometimes clearly visible, but sometimes they aren't  and in such a case IMHO testing equipment is crucial in doing proper reshell (as reshelling company needs to measure each driver to see where are the cross-over points).

No worries, I did not take any offence, I was also just trying to stress, like you did, that it is absolutely critical to have a professional setup and it is good to take the opportunity to let people know what we use.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #4,649 of 5,310

This is probably of very limited use in helping you make your decision, but for what it's worth:
Cosmic re-shelled my UE TF-10's for me, and over a year of daily use down the line, I still couldn't be happier.

Despite adding a dynamic driver to the already fairly complex triple drivers of the TF10, the overall sound signature has changed little (going by memory here) except for the bass frequencies, which have a little more presence generally, and do a great job with music which relies on the bass frequencies.

I was the second customer to volunteer (actually, badger is more accurate) for the added dynamic driver, and probably benefited from the experience of the first, as he decided to revert to a straight reshell, which I seem to remember reading that he was very happy with.

I think that anyone who can accomplish a good hybridisation of an existing IEM is likely to have little trouble with most straight reshells.

This is just one anecdotal data point, but I'd say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back