Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #4,411 of 5,310
On May 15, I ordered BA4(R). After 3 months of waiting and the first hours of listening, I was slightly disappointed
  -build quality ,ear fit and new linum BaX cable is very good
-bass is very nice when compared to  Inear SD-2 and sub-bass goes much deeper
-midrange is simply dark, to my taste too much when comparing SD-2
-this monitor has one driver for highs, but a  I can't heart it,there are almost no highs and lack of detail

Now, after three months of listening, I asking if someone else has similar experiences…?

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,413 of 5,310
Check that the polarity of cable is correct.  Do you have any eq switched on.  Give yourself time to adjust to the new signature.

Failing all that get back in touch with CE, I'm sure that they will do their best to help you.

I've just boxed up the demo pair of the 6p's that I had for the weekend and they were very different to the usual sound that I listen to.  Much clearer sound than the westone, tf10 and klipsch that I generally go for.  If I were ordering from that range I would go for the 6e, but I'm not entirely convinced that I a)had a good seal from the provided tips and b) was inserting them correctly.  I did get enough to get a flavour of them though.

Speaking of westone I also had a prefit set included with the demo from the impressions I sent in recently.  For once the right ear was spot on, comfortable fit right off the bat which was a relief to me.  My left just needs a little thickening on the canal part and good to go.  I've included a set of westone 3's that I don't use much due to bad fitting (short nozzle length) for a reshell.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4,414 of 5,310
On May 15, I ordered BA4(R). After 3 months of waiting and the first hours of listening, I was slightly disappointed

-this monitor has one driver for highs, but a  I can't heart it,there are almost no highs and lack of detail

Now, after three months of listening, I asking if someone else has similar experiences…?

I will be in a similar boat soon. I am on my third month waiting for my CE6P and my main current earphone is a reshelled SD2 - reshelled by CE. I love the detail and highs of the SD2 I really hope I won't lose much if any highs and detail and just gain a bit of bass mids presence and coherence. Will post some impressions as soon as I get the earphones.

If I were you though I'd get in touch with Phil.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4,415 of 5,310
-polarity is OK ,I have linum cable with T2 sockets
-I think that three months are enough time to adjust to the new signature.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #4,418 of 5,310
To my ears BA4r was by no means darkish. Midrange was clear and neutral. Please note, however that the spike around 2kHz is not so big and this may be the cause why you think there's something wrong with mids (I oftenly wanted to increase the volume up to hear the mids, in particular, vocals clearly but this resulted in shift of bass and highs).

Regarding highs: yes, those phones does not have much upper treble ie above 10kHz, but treble up to this region is perfectly fine. I came from Ety ER4s when I bought BA4r and did not notice any particular problem with highs up to 10kHz. I would even say that BA4r sounded more natural and not so artificial.

Check one more thing ie crossfeed. When my BA4r arrived I plugged them to my iPod and the sound was very authoritive but very darkish and with highs very veiled. After 3 weeks of thinking about this, checking things and email exchange with Phil one day I realized that the only setup which I did not check yet was crossfeed. Voila, after I turned it off the sound become very neutral, clear with just right amount of highs up to 10kHz.

To sum up, BA4r should sound neutral=balanced and natural, with no particular roll-offs or spikes/dips.

IMO BA4r were not so source dependent ie they had their own way of presenting music. Of course they performed better with better sources but I did not notice any particular problems with mid-level DAPs or AMPs.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4,420 of 5,310
I use BA4  primarily with Hugo. But I haven´t noticed that  crosfeed affects the amount of treble and midrange coloration The sound signature is the same on Hugo and  DX50.
Probably something goes wrong with my BA4R.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #4,421 of 5,310
  I use BA4  primarily with Hugo. But I haven´t noticed that  crosfeed affects the amount of treble and midrange coloration The sound signature is the same on Hugo and  DX50.
Probably something goes wrong with my BA4R.

Please contact us directly and we can discuss if there is an issue with your BA4R as it certainly does not seem normal.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #4,422 of 5,310

I have had the BA4f for a while now. And I actually do partly agree. However, the fun model does have a lot more bass than the reference version. You know, it's perfectly fine to use an EQ with these phones. I simply turn down the bass, especially in the midbass region, and bump up the treble region quite a bit. I'm actually very satisfied with the SQ I'm getting with these phones when using them with the DX90. I would love to get the CE6P when I finally have the funds, but I'm poor :frowning2:

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #4,424 of 5,310

What are you driving them with? A high impedance amp can dramatically alter the sound signature of low impedance IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back