Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
May 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3,901 of 5,310
They're my ones!
I've had them about a year now, and still Loving them.

Have you chosen a colour scheme yet?

Although Phil did a great job of the colours I requested, I think that if I were to get another pair with leaf skeletons I would probably go for a scheme which would provide more contrast with the skeleton pattern.
Like clear plates, or maybe a very very transparent white.

I'll be interested to see what you go for.

May 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3,902 of 5,310
They look awesome! I asked for the green for both sides, I like that its a bit subtle although I understand exactly what you mean.
I've looked at a good thousand CIEM images and I've not seen anything like that before, it caught my eye. I was actually going to get plain green but Phil sent me a message asking if I'd want it as I'd mentioned them to him before.

May 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3,903 of 5,310
They're my ones!

I've had them about a year now, and still Loving them.

Have you chosen a colour scheme yet?

Although Phil did a great job of the colours I requested, I think that if I were to get another pair with leaf skeletons I would probably go for a scheme which would provide more contrast with the skeleton pattern.

Like clear plates, or maybe a very very transparent white.

I'll be interested to see what you go for.

o.0 those are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

May 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,904 of 5,310

o.0 those are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Yup, I really think Phil 'hit it out of the park' with these, but then I'm biased
etysmile.gif

They look awesome! I asked for the green for both sides, I like that its a bit subtle although I understand exactly what you mean.
I've looked at a good thousand CIEM images and I've not seen anything like that before, it caught my eye. I was actually going to get plain green but Phil sent me a message asking if I'd want it as I'd mentioned them to him before.

Nice!,
What cable/connector have you chosen?
And are you getting that little C.E. logo that they've started putting on the shell?, I like that.

Back in the early 90's I made some jewellery by embedding leaf skeletons in clear acrylic.
Remembering this I made some suggestions to Phil re' setting some in faceplates, or making CIEM's which looked like amber.
I also sent him some leaf skeletons which I'd had languishing in my freezer since then (!) so he could experiment with them if he liked.

When I later ordered my TF10 reshell, Phil agreed to add a dynamic driver, and then surprised me by including the skeleton faceplates.
I was delighted ( and still am ).

I'm quite excited that you're getting some too!

The other style that really impressed me is the 'steampunk' plates ( hey Phil, have you noticed that another company has made some REMARKABLY similar CIEM's?, a case of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery if you ask me )

I've made some aluminium faceplates for Phil, and myself to see if that will work out, but it might be tricky.
Another forum member ( wz2000 ) has made some DIY CIEM's ( with external crossover! ) that hugely impressed me ( how they look, I've not heard them ), so I offered to make him some plates too, so they're underway now.

I understand that Cosmic may be announcing the new 6 driver models availability soon, which is exciting.
I wonder how the new lab is coming along?

May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3,905 of 5,310
  The other style that really impressed me is the 'steampunk' plates ( hey Phil, have you noticed that another company has made some REMARKABLY similar CIEM's?, a case of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery if you ask me )

Care to share who that is?

May 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,906 of 5,310
Noble audio

Do a search for nobleaudio steam punk and you should get some links from google. 

May 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,908 of 5,310
  Yup, I really think Phil 'hit it out of the park' with these, but then I'm biased
etysmile.gif

Nice!,
And are you getting that little C.E. logo that they've started putting on the shell?, I like that.

Back in the early 90's I made some jewellery by embedding leaf skeletons in clear acrylic.
Remembering this I made some suggestions to Phil re' setting some in faceplates, or making CIEM's which looked like amber.
I also sent him some leaf skeletons which I'd had languishing in my freezer since then (!) so he could experiment with them if he liked.

When I later ordered my TF10 reshell, Phil agreed to add a dynamic driver, and then surprised me by including the skeleton faceplates.

I've made some aluminium faceplates for Phil, and myself to see if that will work out, but it might be tricky.
Another forum member ( wz2000 ) has made some DIY CIEM's ( with external crossover! ) that hugely impressed me ( how they look, I've not heard them ), so I offered to make him some plates too, so they're underway now.

I understand that Cosmic may be announcing the new 6 driver models availability soon, which is exciting.

I also wonder on how things are coming along with the lab.  I'm also waiting to hear on how the new micro drivers for the ma range are coming along.  If things go well, I could be ordering the ma2 (the existing 2 driver is too big for my shells apparantley).

May 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #3,909 of 5,310
I believe number of drivers can have an effect on measured distortion as well as increased headroom - all depends on tuning - it is an art form IMHO.

May 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,910 of 5,310
  I believe number of drivers can have an effect on measured distortion as well as increased headroom - all depends on tuning - it is an art form IMHO.

True.

Some dual or triple driver CIEMs can sound pretty damn amazing. My Cosmic MA2 in the micro shell is very good, and suffers mainly from a lack of dynamics, impact, and headroom. Which makes sense considering how tiny the dual driver unit is. 

May 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #3,911 of 5,310
  Noble audio

Do a search for nobleaudio steam punk and you should get some links from google. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, the "Wizard" is a dick.

He contacted me while he was still with Heir Audio to say that he respected artistic design and integrity, and asked if I had any objections to him using the Steampunk design that Phil and I developed. I told him that I did object, and that as far as I was concerned, it was a design that Cosmic Ears had sole rights to.

Good to see that he has chosen to ignore his own supposed standards and respect for others work.

May 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,912 of 5,310
  Nice!,

Thats awesome that you instigated the whole thing, I don't think anyone would ever have otherwise thought of putting a leaf skeleton inside the faceplate, the steampunk idea was also pretty incredible.

I'm getting the new cable and connector on my BA2 and BA4, it looks incredible and I cannot wait to see it in person.
Of course I'll be having the CE logo on my shells, I believe thats default for all CIEMS these days, my BA4 from last year had it.

Does anyone happen to know where in the UK this new lab is? Looking forward to next day delivery when that happens!

May 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,913 of 5,310
Oh b@lls,
I'm sorry if I've stirred up an unpleasant situation, that REALLY wasn't my intention, I just thought it was either coincidence ( as I've previously seen any number of steampunk jewelery designs such as cufflinks etc which might have inspired these very similar CIEM's ), or just a request from one of their customers that was a bit cheeky.

For what it's worth, my own feelings about the leaf design are that I'd be fine with people riffing on the theme as long as they acknowledge the origin of the first pair ( Cosmic/me ) but Phil may feel differently about this, and as he's the one who put the work into creating the CIEM I'd defer to his wishes for sure.

I would find it flattering if someone took up the idea, but since I'm an artist I also understand a certain level of anguish at having one's ideas copied.

If the Wizard did ask your permission then ignored your wishes I think it would be politic to refrain from using the design as a publicity tool, or at least offer an apology to you and Cosmic.

Friendships can be forged from some of the toughest situations and knowing the people involved here to a small degree ( I've conversed with Phil a lot, I've seen your posts on Head-Fi, and I I've seen peoples enthusiasm for the Wizard ) I think all involved are good folk ( except maybe me, I'm a prize d1ck ) and I'm betting the professional rivalry between CIEM companies is generally good natured?

May 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,914 of 5,310
Oh b@lls,
I'm sorry if I've stirred up an unpleasant situation, that REALLY wasn't my intention, I just thought it was either coincidence ( as I've previously seen any number of steampunk jewelery designs such as cufflinks etc which might have inspired these very similar CIEM's ), or just a request from one of their customers that was a bit cheeky.

For what it's worth, my own feelings about the leaf design are that I'd be fine with people riffing on the theme as long as they acknowledge the origin of the first pair ( Cosmic/me ) but Phil may feel differently about this, and as he's the one who put the work into creating the CIEM I'd defer to his wishes for sure.

I would find it flattering if someone took up the idea, but since I'm an artist I also understand a certain level of anguish at having one's ideas copied.

If the Wizard did ask your permission then ignored your wishes I think it would be politic to refrain from using the design as a publicity tool, or at least offer an apology to you and Cosmic.

Friendships can be forged from some of the toughest situations and knowing the people involved here to a small degree ( I've conversed with Phil a lot, I've seen your posts on Head-Fi, and I I've seen peoples enthusiasm for the Wizard ) I think all involved are good folk ( except maybe me, I'm a prize d1ck ) and I'm betting the professional rivalry between CIEM companies is generally good natured?

Nah, you've not stirred up anything dude, I was just laying out the stall there so people knew what the background is. I haven't, for example, seen Phil copying the Wizard's (beautiful) wooden faceplates.

For me, it wasn't a case about being flattered at being asked, or indeed any sort of personal issue with the Wizard, it was just something that Phil and I went backwards and forwards on and I didn't feel it was right that someone else should capitalise on that work. Phil has a small company with some keen prices and it is vitally important for small companies like that, to have a competitive edge either in terms of design, price or both, in order to compete with the bigger boys.

For me, copying peoples designs, is just rude and an indication of how much personal integrity such an individual has. For those that think all is fair in love, war and business, then I am afraid I disagree and it's that sort of attitude that causes many of the ills in todays world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back