Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Mar 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,706 of 5,310
  Just to explain what the fit option is:

1. Maximum Fit- This is a tight fit in the ear giving maximum isolation and seal, however some people can find it a little too tight and intrusive in the ear.
  2. Comfortable Fit - This is a more relaxed fit, it still has an excellent isolation and seal, but it maybe possible to break the seal by sudden head movements or talking.

how are the different fits made? seeing as you only get impressions that are exact molds of a person's ears. do you shave off/build up on the original impressions during the building process? just curious thats all :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #3,707 of 5,310

how are the different fits made? seeing as you only get impressions that are exact molds of a person's ears. do you shave off/build up on the original impressions during the building process? just curious thats all :)

Sorry, some manufacturing processes we don't make public, we have to keep some secrets 
ph34r.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #3,708 of 5,310
PhilGT: Regarding the maximum Fit vs Comfortable Fit.
If I get the molds done and choose the save molds option. Can I start with one of the fits for the firsts pair of iems and then have the other fit for another pair using the same saved molds?

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3,710 of 5,310
  While we're on the subject of options not usually listed... here are my reshells.  Phil also made his own crossover for them (reshelled UE900) as he wasn't too impressed by what he got from the standard one.

B e a utiful.

They're noticeably better than the stock UEs.  *Much* better clarity, far more impact from bass...  very impressed!  The left one is a perfect fit, the right is slightly tight, but I can't decide if it's uncomfortable enough to actually send back.  It would probably be called a musician's fit.

I don't think there's a way I can convince myself I don't need the BA6 now (or whatever it might be called on the new site)!

tomllm did you go for the maximum or comfortable fit?

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #3,713 of 5,310
  Has everyone had a good experience with Cosmic?

I bought a pair of twins over a year ago. The right driver stopped working correctly, the guys said he knew the issue and would replace them. Literally one year later after dozens of reminder mails he got back to me and agreed to give me 30% off of a new set of BA3s but did not reply with a discount code or any means of proceeding so finally I bought a set of universals. Seems like its a small business that bit off more than they can chew and customer service is lacking because of it. I'm a seriously patient cool cat kinda customer so maybe its my fault too but hey. Too bad because I wanted to really give them my business but at some point you got to call quits.

second transaction so far, going on to third, and customer service has been top notch.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3,714 of 5,310
Definitely comfortable fit.  And sure enough, they're getting more comfortable.  I think my canals just need to get used to them.  The reason I said musician's fit was that the right hand IEM is a fair bit tighter than the left, although that seems to be sorting itself out.  

Just to be clear, as Phil said - musician's fit has a longer canal.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,715 of 5,310
I've bought three sets of CIEMs from cosmic and have had another pending for a long time ( entirely my own doing, I paid for a HY3, then changed my mind and elected to wait for the forthcoming HY5 instead ) and every transaction has been great.
I guess it won't help you feel much better, but the sort of service you describe seems to be extremely atypical from Cosmic.

BTW, are the universals working out for you?, what did you get instead of the BA3?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,716 of 5,310
Just a heads up to say that I received a mail saying that they have a high level of emails atm so responses may take longer.  Ironically I got that after getting a reply :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #3,717 of 5,310
Finally sent off my ear impressions and my Shure 530's for a reshell - can't wait to see and hear the results; it's my first foray into CIEMs. I do see some BA6s in my future though. Can anyone suggest a cheap half-decent pair of IEM headphones to tide me over until they come back. My B&W P7's aren't always an ideal alternative. :)

I'll be sure to post some pics of the reshells when they come back - so excited!

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #3,718 of 5,310
It depends how low you want to go, but if you want something really cheap which punches well above it's weight try the Sony MH1 IEMs which are available really cheaply on Ebay (here in the UK at least, we're talking sub £20)
There's a thread here on Head Fi about them.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,719 of 5,310
Finally sent off my ear impressions and my Shure 530's for a reshell - can't wait to see and hear the results; it's my first foray into CIEMs. I do see some BA6s in my future though. Can anyone suggest a cheap half-decent pair of IEM headphones to tide me over until they come back. My B&W P7's aren't always an ideal alternative.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be sure to post some pics of the reshells when they come back - so excited!

How much was the price of the reshell?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back