Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Feb 28, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,631 of 5,310
The website is super confusing...

You can ask to be put on a waiting list and be contacted when they're ready to take orders if you aren't logged in, but once you do you just request them to enable the shop or something and then you can order normally?

Cheers though!

I've been on the waiting list since September.... Still no email....
I've since spent the money I had allocated for BA4fs.
I'm currently waiting to see what is announced from Cosmic Ears and to see what my wallet will be sorry for next.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3,632 of 5,310
  I've been on the waiting list since September.... Still no email....
I've since spent the money I had allocated for BA4fs.
I'm currently waiting to see what is announced from Cosmic Ears and to see what my wallet will be sorry for next.

Get onto them on skype. 

I was chatting to them earlier today, they know about the overlap between the notification list and product buying request, are working on a new site which addresses the issue. They said that 2-4 weeks was standard waiting time, but it varies with the model you request. 

Seemed really nice, got fast comprehensive answers.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,633 of 5,310

Get onto them on skype. 

I was chatting to them earlier today, they know about the overlap between the notification list and product buying request, are working on a new site which addresses the issue. They said that 2-4 weeks was standard waiting time, but it varies with the model you request. 

Seemed really nice, got fast comprehensive answers.

Get in touch with them through email or skype. My experience with Phil so far has been nothing short of stellar, so much so that I've gotten a BA4, WHICH IS COMING ON FRIDAY!!!!! :D
 I'll try and get pictures of the BA4 and the Jh16 reshell so you guys can see cosmicears' amazing workmanship!

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,636 of 5,310
Gongratulations. R or F version?

Is it fixed or detachable cable? Very nice looking cable.

F version, I dont think I can handle the neutrality of the R version. Detachable cables, TBH I really wanted the new connector because of it's sturdiness and durability, the cable came as a nice bonus!

just one more picture

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,637 of 5,310
I'm getting excited too.  I have to confess I badgered Phil this morning about my UE900 reshells, which have been with CE for 8 weeks now (although this includes the pre-fit service).  Apparently they'll be ready next week.  

The reason for delay was that I asked for a non standard mod (not giving anything about this away yet) and that the UE900s are a pain to work with.  I did a bit of checking - there's a pinhole in the shell of the standard UE900.  If it changes the sound, I wonder if this is what was causing the nuisance when trying to stick the drivers into custom shells?  The sockets have to be changed too.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,638 of 5,310
  I'm getting excited too.  I have to confess I badgered Phil this morning about my UE900 reshells, which have been with CE for 8 weeks now (although this includes the pre-fit service).  Apparently they'll be ready next week.  

The reason for delay was that I asked for a non standard mod (not giving anything about this away yet) and that the UE900s are a pain to work with.  I did a bit of checking - there's a pinhole in the shell of the standard UE900.  If it changes the sound, I wonder if this is what was causing the nuisance when trying to stick the drivers into custom shells?  The sockets have to be changed too.  

possibly. I would say with reshells, be patient and allow Phil to work his magic, as much as we want them ASAP, he needs to be given the time to really tune them. Phil doesn't like compromising quality for speed, and I'm really glad for that because my jh16s came back sounding the way they should have originally, balanced and comfortable.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,639 of 5,310

One other issue with the UE900 is the crossover PCB is very fragile so we replace it with our own more durable version. The pinhole cannot be replicated easily but this is not a bad thing, remember the CIEM has tubes now so this compensates, the FR will change slightly but IMHO for the better.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,641 of 5,310
  One other issue with the UE900 is the crossover PCB is very fragile so we replace it with our own more durable version. The pinhole cannot be replicated easily but this is not a bad thing, remember the CIEM has tubes now so this compensates, the FR will change slightly but IMHO for the better.

I will believe anything you say!  More than happy the PCB is less fragile - these won't be replaced for a while I don't think... assuming I can withstand the temptation of either the HY5 or BA6 when they're announced.  

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3,643 of 5,310
Does anyone have the BA4R - how does it compare to the Etymotic ER4 for sound? I'm looking for a custom alternative to the ER4...

Haha, welcome in another thread.

I have BA4r. I had Ety ER4P/S.

According to project86's review BA4r shares similar tunning to Etys, but please note that the review was made before the bass tweaking (i.e. CE added around 1-2db in the bass region to the original BA4R).
My BA4r are after the bass tweak.
My personal opinion is that BA4R are more natural - I was a big Etys fan but after listening to BA4r I started to think that Etys offered a little bit unnatural sound due to the peak in 4-6 kHz region which gave Etys clarity but as I said to my ears it is a little bit artificial. BA4r are neutral and I would say that they are natural as well. BA4r has fast, tight, punchy and a little bit authorative bass (it is lenear but to my ears it is lifted by around 1-2 db in the region up to 120 Hz in comparison to Etys; but bass does not bloat the mids at all). Mids are natural, dynamic and detailed. Highs are smooth, detailed and extended (although they could have a little bit more extension). Soundstage is average as with many reference monitors. Instrument separation is good. Spaciousness/airnees is also on the good level.

I also owned Custom Art Pro210 (sillicone CIEM) and I would say that they are a little bit more similar to Etys than BA4r. The main difference between BA4r and Pro210 is that Pro210's bass is more linear (it has less authority and less sub-bass, although the differences are of 1-2 db) and Pro210 has a little bit more clarity and are a little bit more brighter (and thus to my years they sound more "technical" than "natural"/"musical").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back