Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #4,876 of 5,310
I can only offer my experience after visiting Cosmic. I've ordered a CE6P as I felt the balance and clarity was perfect. Phil didn't have a B version available at the time for me to be able to listen to, but we did alter the P by means of a bass boost feature through one of the devices we were using. This was to give a VERY ROUGH idea of what the B would be like and for my ears it just sounded a little bloated and artifical (which it obviously was). I've pondered over this for the last 6 weeks waiting for my earphones to arrive hoping that I've made the right decision as I too like my bass. Now to back that up, I like the bass to hit hard and sound sharp not bloated or overpowered, this was just about right with the P. Looking at the charts while I was there though, the B would have been nearer bass level wise to my current earphones which I said were about right. But listening to them the bass sounded as full on the P's as it did on my current ones. All that is probably no help at all. :)

So a suggestion I have is think of some headphones you have, or have had, where the bass is perfect for you and ask Phil if he has a chart of them, you may then be able to see which set would suit you best.

My opinion is that Cosmic created the B's to compete with some of the bass orientated American models not because they sound better. I think Phil and the team desgined the P's to be the perfect balance and create as good a sounding curve as they could. The B's were then created to cater for other tastes. As I said JMHO :)

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #4,877 of 5,310
I can only offer my experience after visiting Cosmic. I've ordered a CE6P as I felt the balance and clarity was perfect. Phil didn't have a B version available at the time for me to be able to listen to, but we did alter the P by means of a bass boost feature through one of the devices we were using. This was to give a VERY ROUGH idea of what the B would be like and for my ears it just sounded a little bloated and artifical (which it obviously was). I've pondered over this for the last 6 weeks waiting for my earphones to arrive hoping that I've made the right decision as I too like my bass. Now to back that up, I like the bass to hit hard and sound sharp not bloated or overpowered, this was just about right with the P. Looking at the charts while I was there though, the B would have been nearer bass level wise to my current earphones which I said were about right. But listening to them the bass sounded as full on the P's as it did on my current ones. All that is probably no help at all. :)

So a suggestion I have is think of some headphones you have, or have had, where the bass is perfect for you and ask Phil if he has a chart of them, you may then be able to see which set would suit you best.

My opinion is that Cosmic created the B's to compete with some of the bass orientated American models not because they sound better. I think Phil and the team desgined the P's to be the perfect balance and create as good a sounding curve as they could. The B's were then created to cater for other tastes. As I said JMHO :)

Thanks, very helpful information!

Can I ask you to tell what headphones you have as preference?

I ordered B yesterday, but I think there is still time to change if I want that. My ear impressions is on its way to CE.
When I asked they told me that the bass boost on B was about 3-4 db under 40hz.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #4,878 of 5,310
The ones I have are not my preference but what I have at the moment and what I based my experience at Cosmic on. They are a set of RHA MA705's, I felt the bass on them was fine but they lacked the clairty I was looking for. After to listening to the P's the clairty and depth to the sound was everything I was looking for and I didn't feel like there was a massive drop in the bass. I sat there for a good few minutes with different tracks switching the bass boost on and off and I just preferred the sound without the boost. Now listening to a proper set of the B's may have been different and I might have preferred the sound, but at the time I was happy with what I'd heard so ordered them. :)

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,879 of 5,310
Oooh! Now that is exciting, just had an email saying that they are at final finishing stage.
gs1000.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #4,880 of 5,310
No I didn't. I live in Sweden and didn't think there was an option for that. Have you experience from the two CE6 models?

Not much I'm afraid.  I did listen to a 6p awhile ago but don't think I had a good enough seal.  From what I could tell (and take this with a massive pinch of salt) I think I would have gone the bass version, in the end I didn't get either.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #4,881 of 5,310
The ones I have are not my preference but what I have at the moment and what I based my experience at Cosmic on. They are a set of RHA MA705's, I felt the bass on them was fine but they lacked the clairty I was looking for. After to listening to the P's the clairty and depth to the sound was everything I was looking for and I didn't feel like there was a massive drop in the bass. I sat there for a good few minutes with different tracks switching the bass boost on and off and I just preferred the sound without the boost. Now listening to a proper set of the B's may have been different and I might have preferred the sound, but at the time I was happy with what I'd heard so ordered them. :)

I really glad that you telling me. And I won't hold you responsible for my choice:). It's really hard to make a decision, I will have to take a chance. And I sure I will like them wich ever I choose.

I have no experience with RHA. My comparison is with full size heaphones. I have Grado SR 325e and I would like some more bass from them. I think I am on my way more towards bass than I was before. But maby it's better to have less bass and boost it with Eq than the other way around.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #4,882 of 5,310
I really glad that you telling me. And I won't hold you responsible for my choice:). It's really hard to make a decision, I will have to take a chance. And I sure I will like them wich ever I choose.

I have no experience with RHA. My comparison is with full size heaphones. I have Grado SR 325e and I would like some more bass from them. I think I am on my way more towards bass than I was before. But maby it's better to have less bass and boost it with Eq than the other way around.

You are right and it is a tough decision. Phil was quite surprised when I said that the P's had enough bass for me, as from all my correspondence with him he assumed I would get the B's. I'm sure you will be happy with either version, but the B maybe the better choice as at least you won't be thinking (as I'm sure I may do at some point) 'I wonder if I would have been better getting the B's'. There is enough depth and clarity to the rest of the sound to make you very happy and I'm sure Phil would not let the bass of the B's blead through in to the rest. :)

What colour and options have you gone for?

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #4,883 of 5,310
You are right and it is a tough decision. Phil was quite surprised when I said that the P's had enough bass for me, as from all my correspondence with him he assumed I would get the B's. I'm sure you will be happy with either version, but the B maybe the better choice as at least you won't be thinking (as I'm sure I may do at some point) 'I wonder if I would have been better getting the B's'. There is enough depth and clarity to the rest of the sound to make you very happy and I'm sure Phil would not let the bass of the B's blead through in to the rest. :)

What colour and options have you gone for?

I have looked at beautiful pictures of different creations and really love many of them. But decided to go for purple all the way with white logos. It would be nice with special design but this is a big investment for me right now. But I optioned for the rush order. I want them soon:)

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #4,886 of 5,310
Did you choose an other company?

If I were you, I would get the P version and if it is still lacking in bass for you, you can use the bass boost feature on most portable amps. EQ does work as well. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #4,887 of 5,310
  Oooh! Now that is exciting, just had an email saying that they are at final finishing stage.
gs1000.gif

Mine is still in Shell Detailing :frowning2: 
it has been 6 weeks of waiting!! 

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #4,889 of 5,310
If I were you, I would get the P version and if it is still lacking in bass for you, you can use the bass boost feature on most portable amps. EQ does work as well. 

Thats my thoughts to. But there really no way to know. The best of all would be that the B version is just right so I don't have to use boost feature or eq. I'm still not sure if a made the right choice when I ordered 6B.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,890 of 5,310
Thats my thoughts to. But there really no way to know. The best of all would be that the B version is just right so I don't have to use boost feature or eq. I'm still not sure if a made the right choice when I ordered 6B.

That's my feeling as well. I'd much rather plug them in and listen to them as they were created rather than messing with an EQ. I was lucky as I got to hear them with my music on my player so I should be fine. Sometimes the player can make a difference as well. The Ibasso DX90 I use apparently can be a little bassier than some other players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back