Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #316 of 5,310
Quote:
Yeah Tyresö is like 20km from where i live :D (I live on Södermalm). I was thinking about it, but it's been a hectic time at work for me so I decided to just take the easy way and do it all by mail. Recieved the kit in 1,5days and when I mailed them back Phil recieved them 4 days later (I mailed them on a Saturday so 2 days really don't count). I did not ask Phil about any possibility of going there in person the get the kit/make molds on the spot.

I had a feeling you might say something similar as soon as I clicked submit ^_^
I'm even closer, so I might be tempted by the possibility, it would eventually speed up the process.
But I'm still waiting on some of the impressions on twins/duals or triples before pulling the trigger. However, it's very tempting to take the first step into CIEM territory, as I'm sure it is for many other head-fi'ers out there

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #317 of 5,310
Absolutely. Cosmic Ears started with the mission of wanting to make affordable customs that most people could afford. The owner, Phil, claims to have ridiculously small ears, so he always had trouble finding IEMs that fit. Out of that problem, Cosmic Ears was born. 

When I first started chatting with Phil, he was very clear about his intentions to not over-state things. And I don't believe things have changed. The Pure and even Pure Plus are generally intended to give a comfortable fit and acceptable sound to casual users. Things start aiming towards HeadFiers once we move beyond the basic models. That doesn't mean the Pure models are bad - they are what they are, no more, no less. 

Phil initially had reservations about going much higher than a dual driver unit. He told me the last thing he wanted was to create more expensive multi-driver designs just for the sake of selling them. He would only release higher models when he could justify the improvement. I like this attitude. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #319 of 5,310
Quote:
Do we have a list or something that explains the sound signatures of all of the Cosmic Ears customs?

This is being worked on but i think when me and project get our hands on the HY3 (or his triple hybrid flex), we should be able to make a profile of the signatures. SHould not be too long, just waiting on the new PCBs to come through!

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #320 of 5,310
So far I can (very briefly) sum it up like so:

Pure (with dynamic driver) - big bass, somewhat recessed mids and darker highs, very nice big soundstage, mostly clean bass that doesn't intrude on the mids by much.

Pure Plus (single BA driver) - mostly neutral, fast/punchy bass that doesn't reach quite as deep as the dynamic version but is overall more clean and controlled, slightly relaxed mids for things like vocals but still overall more present than the dynamic version, highs have more air but aren't overly bright/harsh, soundstage smaller but more accurate than the dynamic version. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #323 of 5,310
So my Flex Micro is here..... sort of. My lazy postal carrier, rather than get out of their car and knock on my door, simply put a notice in my mailbox. I was home so I could have signed for the package, but now I have to go pick it up in person. The worst part is that the place it was routed to has ridiculous, almost impossible hours of operation. Like you can only pick up a package from 9:45am to 11:15am on Tuesdays and Fridays. Or something like that. I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.

Anyway, I'll be able to hopefully pick them up tomorrow and will post my thoughts later in the day. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #324 of 5,310
Oh god. I just found out about this, and I am in Stockholm, Sweden :)
I have been avoiding customs due to the high price and the custom fees when buying from overseas, but I will definitely buy a set of HY3. Anyone have any thoughts about doing the ear impressions by yourself? I see this is an option at Cosmic ears. It seems easy enough when reading the guide..
Too bad about the purple color though, I would want a clear set of customs, but I guess it's ok.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #326 of 5,310
Quote:
Oh god. I just found out about this, and I am in Stockholm, Sweden :)
I have been avoiding customs due to the high price and the custom fees when buying from overseas, but I will definitely buy a set of HY3. Anyone have any thoughts about doing the ear impressions by yourself? I see this is an option at Cosmic ears. It seems easy enough when reading the guide..
Too bad about the purple color though, I would want a clear set of customs, but I guess it's ok.

Search some pages back, as Swimsonny even posted a video of his DIY ear impression kit process!

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #327 of 5,310
Yeh if you want i will post the video again for the guys just arriving here, or maybe Project86 could add to OP? 

All in all in the last two weeks i went to the audiologist twice and use one set of DIY impressions. The DIY ones were the best and from now on i will only use them, cant reccoemd them any more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back