Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Aug 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,657 of 5,310
Quote:
Couple of hours

Really? I always thought they only enable the shop for you once they've received your impressions. I requested for them to enable the shop about two weeks ago but it only got enabled for me today when they got my impressions.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,660 of 5,310
Quote:
For my first ciems is the prefit service recommendable or should I just go see an audiologist? Also does anyone here listen to trance style edm?

Phil's recommendation is usually to take it, especially if it's your first and/or the ear impressions is not perfect.
Or at least that is what I remembered.

Ah... Can't wait for the shop to be enabled and get my prefit shells soon ... :D

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #2,662 of 5,310
Quote:
For my first ciems is the prefit service recommendable or should I just go see an audiologist? Also does anyone here listen to trance style edm?

The prefit service is a good idea if you are at all nervous about whether CIEM's are going to be for you, or you want to take any worries you might have, out of the entire custom moulding process. However, for most people, good quality impressions done at an audiologist will be sufficient to ensure a good fit of the finished product.

And yes, I listen to trance style EDM. If you are looking for a recommendation for a particular model from Cosmic Ears that suits EDM, then I can say the HY3 works very well indeed. That said, the sound I like from headphones isn't necessarily the same sound as you will like, so I would strongly suggest you discuss your preferred sound with Phil at Cosmic Ears before deciding on a model. He will be able to advise which of his products best suits the sound you prefer. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,663 of 5,310
Here is an update on the BA4fs from yours truly.

Eyecandy:

As you can see, the monitors fit very flush in my ears. They are actually too flush, a part of my ear is blocking the cable socket. So yes, they are going back, and CE is going to completely rebuild them.  

Now onto the sound. I had hoped I was going to get used to the BA4f's sound signature, but there is something inherently wrong with this signature (harsh, yes I know).  The main part of the bass boost seems to be located into the upper bass, and lower mids region. Which results in a very oversaturated sound, with very strange screaming lower mids. I would almost say the two bass drivers got switched in the manufacturing process. But this would probably result in a much stranger signature. He did use a smaller bore size on my monitors, which could explain this strange hump.

With these EQ settings the BA4F sounds very neutral, without sacrificing too much punch from the bass.

And this would be my definition of a 'fun' signature, with a modest bass boost without sacrificing air in the sound.

I would love to hear from project86 (or other users with the BA4f) if he is also experiencing this strange hump. I talked to Phil on this matter, and he said that it's very hard to find a fun signature that suits everyone. He also said, that if I wanted to change the BA4f into the BA4r it was going to cost me. I haven't yet heard how much it would cost me. 

Edit: I do have to add, that I am seriously enjoying the sound quality with the last EQ settings. It certainly sounds way better than the price tag would indicate. The isolation is also top notch, playing the drums with these is just bliss. Just one problem, I'm not sure if modern daps like the fiio X3 or ibasso DX50 would allow for such finetuning of the EQ.

EDITEDITEDIT: 
Quote from Phil: 

I think you may have misunderstood me. I said that I would NOT charge for changing to the BA4R, but if you did not like the R and wanted to go back to something else then we would have to look at a charge, so to reiterate F to R NO charge.

The reason for a rebuild is because everything is so tight in your shells just opening them up and making the crossover change is not possible so we would have to break the shells, remove the drivers, retest the drivers etc etc, so a total rebuild.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,665 of 5,310
Quote:
Oh man, I wish you a good luck on the process. What if you find BA4R too basslight?

Ok so, I don't have to pay Anything to change them to reference monitors :D

I'd rather have basslight than these strange screaming lower mids :p 

DAPs almost always have a bass boost option, and these respond very well to EQ-ing :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,667 of 5,310
I knew that Phil would not leave any of us unhappy. Good luck on that process and I really hope you like your new sound
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,668 of 5,310
Quote:
Your ears are indeed really small! Phil is indeed very dedicated and customer service oriented - doing a complete rebuild sounds like a lot of work but he's willing to do it for free.

Yeah, Phil is great. I bet they are actually making a loss on my monitors.
If I ever get cIEMs again I know the antics of my ears, and can warn the manufacturer about them.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,669 of 5,310
Sorry, been out of this thread for a few days, it's moving fast!

Quote:

1.Do the mids and highs differ between the BA4 and BA4f? 
2.What dac-amp setup did you use, on which you found the BA4/BA4f to sound particularly good?

1) For me, the mids and highs seem similar but the overall relationship is different. I'd say they are roughly even at 4kHz and above. So in that respect they are the same. Below 4kHz, the Fun version has a gradually increasing slope, up by a few dB at 2kHz and maybe +5dB by 1kHz or so. It stays about +5dB all the way down to 20Hz. 

What to conclude from this? I say it's a matter of perspective. If we plot both curves at the usual 1kHz point, the original model will have comparatively sharper peaks at 2kHz and especially 4kHz. Or, if we plot them to match where they converge at around 4kHz, the Fun version will be seen to have boosted lows and thicker mids. 

Despite all this, I think they sound more similar than different. It's not so much about the boost as it is about the curve of that boost. Marleybob217, something may be funny about yours due to your ear shape, but it does sound to me like the original would be a good fit for you.

2) I like BA4 (either one) on any of my nicer gear. Anedio D2, Resonessence Labs Concero HP, Violectric V800/V200, etc. On the budget side, I like the Leckerton UHA-6S mkII very much. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,670 of 5,310
Quote:
Sorry, been out of this thread for a few days, it's moving fast!

1) For me, the mids and highs seem similar but the overall relationship is different. I'd say they are roughly even at 4kHz and above. So in that respect they are the same. Below 4kHz, the Fun version has a gradually increasing slope, up by a few dB at 2kHz and maybe +5dB by 1kHz or so. It stays about +5dB all the way down to 20Hz. 

What to conclude from this? I say it's a matter of perspective. If we plot both curves at the usual 1kHz point, the original model will have comparatively sharper peaks at 2kHz and especially 4kHz. Or, if we plot them to match where they converge at around 4kHz, the Fun version will be seen to have boosted lows and thicker mids. 

Despite all this, I think they sound more similar than different. It's not so much about the boost as it is about the curve of that boost. Marleybob217, something may be funny about yours due to your ear shape, but it does sound to me like the original would be a good fit for you.

2) I like BA4 (either one) on any of my nicer gear. Anedio D2, Resonessence Labs Concero HP, Violectric V800/V200, etc. On the budget side, I like the Leckerton UHA-6S mkII very much. 

Ah thanks for your informative reply!
Phil has taken a look at the measurements, and they looked fine, no obvious peaks below 2khz. Although the lower mid hump doesn't really sound like a peak, more like the bass boost that extents to about 600-700hz and then sharply goes down again. But it sounds exceptionally thick around 500-600hz, it's really quite invading sounding. This could have something to do with my small ear canals, or the smaller bore size. Anyway, they sound amazing when EQ them. But I'd rather not obviously. 

I used them with the Audinst hud-mx1, would you say this combo is comparable with the leckerton dac-amp? 
I did liked them on the audinst, there was big improvement compared to some of my daps. Do you think pairing the audinst with something like the O2 would help the sound more?

The monitors have been sent back, and Phil has already started making the new shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back