Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,627 of 5,310
Quote:
I hope your issues with fit and sound sig' resolve OK Marleybob,.
I'd echo the advice to stick with them for a while to see if you grow to like the bass levels ( they sound like they'D suit me down to the ground! What do you think of the mid's? )
You never know, if you don't come round to loving them, maybe Phil could change the filters without having to completely re-do the shell?, it sounds as though you may have to return them to have the connector tweaked anyway?
The bass of my HY3's became tighter and clearer after some use, and I suspect ( from what others have reported ) that the dynamic driver would have continued to tighten up with more use if they hadn't been destroyed.
I know your model is balanced armatures rather than dynamic, but I've read that some have experienced similar effects with B/A's.

BTW, the dynamic drivers must be pretty robust, as Phil rescued them from the totally smashed remains of my HY3 to make my Pure's, and they're still going strong after about 3 months of heavy use.
Unsurprisingly, they don't come anywhere near the HY-TF's for sound quality though.

I'm actually getting more and more used to the bass levels. As a friend of mine said, it's always easier to tone down frequencies than adding them.
I don't think this model would let down any basshead, the bass extents wickedly, it's punchy but not overly present. Even though the bass seemed to bleed into the mids when I fist used them. I think what got me in the beginning was the way the bass passes over into the mids, the lower mids are pretty beefie sounding. Voices almost sound hountingly realistic, without Any added charm or lush-ness. Seperation is really good in the mids, for instance, when listening to bohemian rapsody in the acapella pieces I can very clearly make out any voice, just as clear as with my mackie monitors actually (this is from memory). 

Actually, now that I'm sitting down, and listening to the BA4Fs on the Audinst hud-mx1, they sound very differently than they did on the sansa-e6 setup. I think my brain has adjusted overnight, and they do scale with better equipment. 
So far, I actually don't have any complaints on the sound. They sure sound brutally honest, but also very accurate apart from the warmness. 

However, I'm afraid I'm still going to have to return them if the pain from the connector won't miraculously disappear. I have worn them for 45 minute without pain, so it seems that it is getting less with time.

I have two questions, and nobody but project86 will be able to answer them:

1.Do the mids and highs differ between the BA4 and BA4f? 
2.What dac-amp setup did you use, on which you found the BA4/BA4f to sound particularly good?

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,628 of 5,310
Sorry, to break into the current converstation. How long does it take Phil to reply you these days?

Previously, he only takes around 2-3 days to reply, but it's been 5 days since I sent the mail.
So was thinking if the frequency is starting to get delayed due to his current schedule?
Otherwise, he might have missed my mail due to the imaginable sheer amount of it though..

Was waiting for his reply if my ear impressions is delivered and not deformed.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2,629 of 5,310
Well according to the facebook page they had actually spent sometime in just clearing the backlog of emails.  Might be worth sending it again since you've waited 5 day's.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #2,630 of 5,310
I posted the questions I asked as well as the answers received. I think that if they are forum appropriate, others should consider doing the same.

Both sides benefit. We get answers and Phil has less to answer, especially when it comes to commonly asked questions.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,631 of 5,310
Quote:
Sorry, to break into the current converstation. How long does it take Phil to reply you these days?

Previously, he only takes around 2-3 days to reply, but it's been 5 days since I sent the mail.
So was thinking if the frequency is starting to get delayed due to his current schedule?
Otherwise, he might have missed my mail due to the imaginable sheer amount of it though..

He did say he was travelling for business, so maybe he's still doing that.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,633 of 5,310
Do

Don't despair. I know its easy to get that feeling just keep in mind we all want our CIEMs and he has to handle each one individually I imagine... sooo patience my friend patience.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,636 of 5,310
My status is still in packaging :p

I tihnk I've still got a ups parcel from a couple of years ago whose status is still "pending delivery" , mainly because the ups guy handed it over to the local mail person to deliver!

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #2,637 of 5,310

So, I picked the BA4f because I was expecting a upper mid peak somewhere. IF there is one in the BA4R, I really can't hear it on the BA4f. Using the above EQ settings the BA4f sounds very neutral, with absolutely no noticable peaks anywhere. The treble might be slightly rolled off, but it's not very noticable. If the mids and highs really are the same in the BA4R and BA4f, I do recommend purchasing the BA4R, unless you're a basshead. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,638 of 5,310
Quote:

So, I picked the BA4f because I was expecting a upper mid peak somewhere. IF there is one in the BA4R, I really can't hear it on the BA4f. Using the above EQ settings the BA4f sounds very neutral, with absolutely no noticable peaks anywhere. The treble might be slightly rolled off, but it's not very noticable. If the mids and highs really are the same in the BA4R and BA4f, I do recommend purchasing the BA4R, unless you're a basshead. 

So you are thinking about sending it back to get a BA4R? Did you discuss with Phil about how your monitors sound?

Also, this one is my own humble opinion but, slightly rolled off treble is not a bad thing. It makes them smooth and not fatiguing. I remember you don't like sibilance at all, so maybe that treble is good for you.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,640 of 5,310
Quote:
You can always bump up 14k and 20k a bit to account for the roll off. And what kind of EQ has 18 bands but stops at 55hz?

Yeah, I just made this EQ to show how exactly the bass is boosted in the BA4F. But the treble and mids sound perfectly fine like this. Rather not tinker with them :D

It is the built in EQ of foobar2000. I don't really care that it doesn't go lower than 55hz. I don't need to fine tune anything on the hz accurate below 55hz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back