Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,846 of 5,310
Quote:
Yes, the twin driver does a great job all around, including various rock. I listen to everything from metal to classic rock, you name it, that little twin driver can do it. In fact, with certain rock and a Sansa Fuze as source, I might prefer it to the more expensive BA4! It's more forgiving of the flawed recordings, and has more bass kick when used with a basic player like that. 

Sorry Phil, hate to divert sales of your more expensive model, but the BA2 is just that good. 

Nobody has heard the BA3 (except Phil and probably some locals there) so no idea how it compares. 

Apparantly the BA3 is just as good but with better lows! I'm heavily leaning towards the BA3...

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,847 of 5,310
Quote:
Apparantly the BA3 is just as good but with better lows! I'm heavily leaning towards the BA3...

Yes, according to Phil, the BA2 and BA3 sound quite similar except the BA3 has more low end (but less than the extra-bass versions of the hybrids). However, the same is not true for the hybrid models, where the HY3 has better mids and highs than the HY2, but both have similar bass.

If you like bass emphasis with everything else flat, I would go with the BA3. If you want neutral, go with the BA2 or BA4.

Phil is making an experimental design for me (BA2 with HY3XB level bass) so I'll comment on what they sound like when I receive them :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,848 of 5,310
Quote:
Yes, according to Phil, the BA2 and BA3 sound quite similar except the BA3 has more low end (but less than the extra-bass versions of the hybrids). However, the same is not true for the hybrid models, where the HY3 has better mids and highs than the HY2, but both have similar bass.

If you like bass emphasis with everything else flat, I would go with the BA3. If you want neutral, go with the BA2 or BA4.

Phil is making an experimental design for me (BA2 with HY3XB level bass) so I'll comment on what they sound like when I receive them :)

Sounds awesome!

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,849 of 5,310
Quote:

I've actually already done that but apparantly Phil don't listen to rock so he doesn't know whether the BA2 or the BA3 is best suited for that genre. :)

For Rock, I would say V shaped sound could be very good. In that case go for BA3 or if you can afford BA5. If you like V shaped sound signature BA3 and BA5 would satisfy you. However I listen to rock too but I prefer flat sounds with all the music genres.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,850 of 5,310
Hi

Here's a question for everyone then.  As I imagine most people are aware I've had multiple fit problems with different companies including ce.  Now I've always gone to the same audiologist for various reasons.  I've had the latest set of impressions back and they fit fine but the monitors don't.  If the impressions fit ok is there any point contemplating going to a different audiologist to eliminate that part of the equation?

Cheers

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #1,851 of 5,310
I'd say it is worth a try if you have easy access to another one. I even traveled to the country next door to get good impressions
(On a side note, I never had to pay for impressions once)

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,852 of 5,310
Hi

Here's a question for everyone then.  As I imagine most people are aware I've had multiple fit problems with different companies including ce.  Now I've always gone to the same audiologist for various reasons.  I've had the latest set of impressions back and they fit fine but the monitors don't.  If the impressions fit ok is there any point contemplating going to a different audiologist to eliminate that part of the equation?

Cheers

I would try another, although aren't the impressions a soft pliable material as apposed to the hard acyrillic of ciem? Could that explain the better fit?

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,853 of 5,310
Quote:
Looking forward to hear your impressions mate. Well done.

Sadly I doubt if I'll give a review of them seeing as I'm no audiophile, I have trouble telling the diference between a mid and a high! lol  Right now I'm using a set of Apples new shaped ear pods and to me they're the best thing on the planet!  So that gives you an idea of how much of a clue I don't have about earphone/headphones. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,854 of 5,310
Quote:
For Rock, I would say V shaped sound could be very good. In that case go for BA3 or if you can afford BA5. If you like V shaped sound signature BA3 and BA5 would satisfy you. However I listen to rock too but I prefer flat sounds with all the music genres.

Yes, we'll see how things turn out but I'm quite sure I'll be going for the BA3!

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,855 of 5,310
Quote:
I would try another, although aren't the impressions a soft pliable material as apposed to the hard acyrillic of ciem? Could that explain the better fit?

I have wondered about that in this thread previously.  The only time I got a fit in the right ear first time was using silicone.  Sadly though they never got the left one correct!

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,857 of 5,310
Just thinking out loud here, I don't know you and I don't know the experience you have, but could it just maybe be you who's exaggerating a little with the fit? :D
In all seriousness though, it's good to see CE go all the way to make happy customers

plus 1

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,859 of 5,310
Quote:
Hi

Cheers

If they fit perfectly then I don't see what you'd accomplish by getting another set made. Best case scenario is the new ones fit perfectly.... again. There must be something going on between the acrylic versus the mold material, and the minor differences involved in how each fits. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,860 of 5,310
That just it though, the main ones haven't fit.  Either too long, too short or not quite right.  Somethings getting lost in translation and we are not sure what.  Even the ma's right had a problem with the strain relief pressing up against my ear which stopped it fitting.  It also felt like it needed thickening a little.

The ma's are going back as the left bass driver has gone much too Phil's annoyance.  So I was just wondering if it was worth chucking another set of impressions in there.  I'm in two minds over that one right now.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back