Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Feb 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,547 of 5,310
Quote:
awesome i can not wait to form a little BA4 club heheeh! Everyone is welcome!

I can't wait to be able to order BA4s! I'm also hoping that by the time I get my BA4 that Cosmic would be willing to reshell my TF10 customs, I know they don't do reshells cause of liability issues but something is wrong with my TF10s anyways. After seeing how good Cosmic's work is and how good their CS is, I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to get my business. Sometimes I wonder if I should email the company I got my reshell from and complain about their shotty work because there is an air bubble on the tip and it caused that area to crack a little and the bores were not even opened up evenly, one hole is smaller than the other.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,548 of 5,310
Subbed - read through the entire thread over the last 24 hours - going for the BA4 when they come in stock in March - my first CIEM!

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,549 of 5,310
Quote:
I can't wait to be able to order BA4s! I'm also hoping that by the time I get my BA4 that Cosmic would be willing to reshell my TF10 customs, I know they don't do reshells cause of liability issues but something is wrong with my TF10s anyways. After seeing how good Cosmic's work is and how good their CS is, I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to get my business. Sometimes I wonder if I should email the company I got my reshell from and complain about their shotty work because there is an air bubble on the tip and it caused that area to crack a little and the bores were not even opened up evenly, one hole is smaller than the other.

Pm'd.

One step closer atm for me.  Next big one is to try out what I received on friday at work tomorrow and see how it goes for longer periods.  They've said to me that they've had to make mine slightly thicker than the impressions to fit properly!  But it's damn sight better than it was, so I just hope it's comfortable for longer periods.

Cheers

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,551 of 5,310
So close yet so far. 

Phil and I have decided that my right ear is officially "weird".

I've been wearing the new right one most of the day.  It still didn't seem quite right, so I tried pressing gently in on it and lo and behold perfect seal.  Let go and the seal didn't hold.  Going to get in touch after work (net but no email).

Cheers

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,552 of 5,310
I am going to ask a dumb question - but when I go to the website - everything is out of stock and there is no way to "customize" a selection of drivers for the units that should have that option - I am considering the purchase of my first set of customs - is there anyone in this thread who has made the purchase from the US?

I would like either a 4BA headphone or a 2BA + Dynamic - I just can't see how the website functions... You can't buy anything.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,553 of 5,310
Quote:
I am going to ask a dumb question - but when I go to the website - everything is out of stock and there is no way to "customize" a selection of drivers for the units that should have that option - I am considering the purchase of my first set of customs - is there anyone in this thread who has made the purchase from the US?

I would like either a 4BA headphone or a 2BA + Dynamic - I just can't see how the website functions... You can't buy anything.

That's because it's all sold out, they aren't taking orders until around the end of March.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,555 of 5,310
Darn, they have absolutely nothing in stock right now. I was looking forward to getting my impressions done and ordering. And you can't see the various driver configuration options under Flex unless it's in stock 
frown.gif

Can anyone recommend which driver configuration I should get (once they're available)? This is my ideal sound signature:
- huge, rumbling, visceral subbass, but absolutely no midbass bloat or boominess
- mids that are relatively neutral, rich and maybe slightly warm, but I'd rather error on the side of bright rather than dark and icky sounding
- smooth, no audible peaks or harshness, especially on vocals - a lot of headpones have a problem with overblown or distorted "E" vowels
- treble that is sparkly and infinitely extended, but neutral and not emphasized above the mids
and obviously good clarity and separation, decent sound stage, etc.

By the way, what is the advantage of a twin BA over a single BA, since both drivers cover the same frequency range unlike a dual driver setup with a crossover? Probaby larger soundstage, but anything else?

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,556 of 5,310
Quote:
Darn, they have absolutely nothing in stock right now. I was looking forward to getting my impressions done and ordering. And you can't see the various driver configuration options under Flex unless it's in stock 
frown.gif

Can anyone recommend which driver configuration I should get (once they're available)? This is my ideal sound signature:
- huge, rumbling, visceral subbass, but absolutely no midbass bloat or boominess
- mids that are relatively neutral, rich and maybe slightly warm, but I'd rather error on the side of bright rather than dark and icky sounding
- smooth, no audible peaks or harshness, especially on vocals - a lot of headpones have a problem with overblown or distorted "E" vowels
- treble that is sparkly and infinitely extended, but neutral and not emphasized above the mids

By the way, what is the advantage of a twin BA over a single BA, since both drivers cover the same frequency range unlike a dual driver setup with a crossover? Probaby larger soundstage, but anything else?

Their dual BA has a crossover.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,558 of 5,310
Right, so why would I get twin vs dual or even single?

I found this on COSMIC EARS facebook page

Twin vs Dual balanced armatures

People have been asking what the difference between twin and dual drivers is, so here is a quick and brief explanation.

The twin balanced armatures are 2 separate drivers but enclosed in the same housing with one sound port. The sound can be described as analytical and detailed.

The dual balanced armatures are 2 physical separate drivers with a sound port for each. The sound is similar to the twin but a little warmer.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,559 of 5,310
This all old stuff. See the newsletter for new models. The ba2 will use the twin so you can't even get the dual set up any more.
There is no point referring to the old models, go to the new models news letter!

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,560 of 5,310
Quote:
frown.gif

Can I suggest that you contact Phil at Cosmic Ears for a recommendation to fit your needs, because if you are after "huge, rumbling, visceral sub-bass" then that may exclude some of the pure balanced armature models, straight away, and may require one of the Hybrid models. Anyway, Phil will be able to advise which model would best fit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back