Corda Symphony info and impressions
Mar 23, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #361 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen!

Interference in the power lines will always be a problem with high-end audio. There are all sorts of ways to try to work around it, but sometimes the only real solution will be having your own private power plant. (Yes, I know, not really a feasible option.)

Actually PS Audio makes a thing called exactly that - Power Plant.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #362 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by revenge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've personally owned and tested quite a lot of DAC's, including chinese, eastern european and so on and I can only say this: I find no excuse for the poor stability of Symphony. Of course the highest SQ is the aim of any designing engineer and manufacturing company. But besides that, the DAC has to be used! And I mean real usage, in the real world, not on the moon, after midnight, in a bunker or on a deserted island.
If small companies like Rockna or Xindac, not to mention big fishes - Lavry, Benchmark, Apogee can do it, than Mr Meier can and should find a solution as well. One that succesfully addresses the stability issues while preserving the SQ. To be honest, that's what I came to expect from Mr Meier's products and it is entirely his fault for the high standards he set over time
dt880smile.png

Actually my DAC1 USB had dropout problem with USB input a while ago, too. I'm just saying it could happen to any one, those quirks.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #363 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]The Symphony DAC is slightly better sounding to me ( SPDIF vs. SPDIF) - being more resolved but not edgy. The M902 DAC sounds "soft" by comparison.
[*]The Symphony USB DAC is noticeably better, and comes with various filter choices for fine tuning of the sound you want
[*]The headphone amp of the Symphony sound more neutral and have a lower noise floor (actually both amps are very black background so the differentiation is not that easy). I am sure the power supply of Symphony is better.
[*]The headphone amp of the Symphony is more resolving and provide a more neutral sound, but the M902 is a bit smoother (or rounded) in general

F. Lo

Thanks for the review.

Question: when comparing the DAC/amp sections of the two, did you use the same amp/DAC section?
I am assuming you did; otherwise it's impossible to tell what's making the difference. Could you further enlighten us by listing the interconnect and power cables used for the test? Thanks

P.S. I'm waiting for my Symphony to arrive. I'll be able to connect everything in my home entertainment center to it (DVD player, laptop, tuner, K702, and a pair of KRK active speakers!). Very sweet.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #365 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review.

Question: when comparing the DAC/amp sections of the two, did you use the same amp/DAC section?
I am assuming you did; otherwise it's impossible to tell what's making the difference. Could you further enlighten us by listing the interconnect and power cables used for the test? Thanks

P.S. I'm waiting for my Symphony to arrive. I'll be able to connect everything in my home entertainment center to it (DVD player, laptop, tuner, K702, and a pair of KRK active speakers!). Very sweet.

Hello tubaman,

Yes, I listened to a number of arrangements trying to compare the amp sections only of the Symphony and the M902, and then the DAC only session. Finally I listen to the combos because this is the configuration most people will stick to. But having said these, I was not doing a real "review" which should always have one variable changed to allow proper comparison, and I do not have a sound meter to calibrate the sound pressure level of each setup. So, you may want to see this as impressions rather than formal reviews - something which I never claim to be good at.

Regarding power cords, I am using an Acrolink 6N-P4030 stress free cable on the Symphony. This is a high quality all copper cable which I felt will compliment the Symphony's resolved and neutral voicing. On the Grace M902, I was using a Crystal Cable Connect Power Cord which is a gold/silver/copper alloy and is extremely good to provide sparkling highs while maintaining overall balance.

For interconnects, I am a big fan of Gabriel Gold cables and was using a Gabriel Gold Extreme MKII on the Symphony, and Gabriel Gold Revelation on the M902. The Revelation (MKI) is a tad more coherent and extended than the Extreme MKII but not enough to impose an audible difference in the comparison.

From my mixes and matches, I feel that the Symphony responded better to power cords and interconnects than the Grace M902.

I hope this helps.
Francis

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #367 of 428
Got my Symphony today. Naturally, the first thing I did was to test the coax input. It worked perfectly. Having previously owned the Opera, it's pretty clear that the Symphony is one step up. And the black looks very cool.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #368 of 428
Quote:

Got my Symphony today. Naturally, the first thing I did was to test the coax input. It worked perfectly. Having previously owned the Opera, it's pretty clear that the Symphony is one step up. And the black looks very cool.

Congratulations for your purchase, and welcome to the Symphony camp
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #369 of 428
Quote:

Great to hear you are enjoying the Symphony.
After one had this step up in my experience you can't do without.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #371 of 428
Quote:

How much metter is it if you only consider the amp section?

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #372 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by khaos974 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much metter is it if you only consider the amp section?

In the original comment (#344) I was referring to the amp section.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #373 of 428
How many Symphony owners purchased an after market power cord and found significant improvements? Does the Symphony really need one?
Thinking of Iron Lung Jelly Fish.

thanks

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #374 of 428
I used the Iron Lung Jellyfish. It worked well - not sure I would swear it made the Symphony sound better, but it isn't a lot of money, either.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #375 of 428
My Clearer Audio Silver-line power cord (Wattgate, Furutech gold - the whole treat) brought noticeable improvements to the table: clearer (hence the name) sound, tighter bass, better soundstage and so on.
But you should definitely try for yourself before buying any cable, including the Clearer Audio line. Some people write pages about the "huge improvement" of a good mains cable over a cheap chinese kettle lead, while others swear it's pure placebo. If you feel there's not much of a change (or no change at all) with a given cable, then probably it isn't. It's entirely up to you to decide.
Most cheap cables I've tried have no effect on sound. Some are actually making it worse (a lack of dynamics, a flatter, boring sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back