Corda Symphony info and impressions
Aug 16, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 428
Maybe you will be lucky enough to review it Skylab!
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never heard of this approach to a discrete volume control. Is it something which has been used for other amps?

I don't know of any specific commercial amps that use it, but there are a few modules and kits made for DIY purposes. A few people have used ones in their Beta22 build.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 428
I hope it also works well as a preamp, and drives better then the opera did.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 428
Oooh, it's bigger, it's heavier, it must be better!
icon10.gif

Out in October already, I really hoped I would have more time to save up.

(By the way, that Poweramp-2 seems to be new as well.)

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 428
Is anyone else wondering what Jan will call his next amp which will probably appear in about 2 years and be even bigger (and better)? I was wondering about this already before the symphony appeared. You can't really go beyond Opera, as far as large musical works are concerned.

Well, maybe the Corda Gesamtkunstwerk.
smile.gif
(Sorry, only Wagner-fans will get this one.)

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 428
Hey Guys, I contacted Jan; he told me that the symphony is going to be a lot better than the Opera (go figure lol
biggrin.gif
) both in the amp and DAC sections; he also told me that the DAC structure is pretty good (and with a pretty new design). Finally, he told me that it was going to cost a bit more than the Opera... wich means I will never be able to buy it
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #22 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone else wondering what Jan will call his next amp which will probably appear in about 2 years and be even bigger (and better)? I was wondering about this already before the symphony appeared. You can't really go beyond Opera, as far as large musical works are concerned.

Well, maybe the Corda Gesamtkunstwerk.
smile.gif
(Sorry, only Wagner-fans will get this one.)

Corda Magnum Opus?
Corda Corpus?
Corda Bayreuth?

I'll be interested to hear more about this amp from early adopters.

o

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #23 of 428
Well, let's just hope that the Corda Requiem is still a long way off.
biggrin.gif

Some first impressions posted on a German forum based on a prototype and just reviewing the amplifier section describe it as follows (paraphrasing): "Somewhat closer to the sound of earlier Meier amps and less warm than the Opera. On the whole a major step forward and in a different league compared to its predecessor". (These are by Richter Di, I hope he doesn't mind me posting them here.)

Sounds very promising, although I actually rather liked the slightly warm sound of the Opera.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 428
Quote:

Depends on the work. Some symphonies (like Mahler's 8th) feature much larger musical forces than many operas. Baroque operas use rather small orchestras, as do baroque symphonies. So it's no easy comparison.

As for the next names, "Concerto" has not been taken yet, nor "Oratorio", but they don't feel bigger than "Opera" or "Symphony". I'd rather bet on "Concerto", though this one would feel better for something between the Cantate and the Symphony. So perhaps that'd be a change of the naming scheme.

By the way, it'd be fun if someone would name an amp the 4'33".
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turgidson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the work. Some symphonies (like Mahler's 8th) feature much larger musical forces than many operas. Baroque operas use rather small orchestras, as do baroque symphonies. So it's no easy comparison.

I know, I know... (I didn't think the question would be taken up this seriously
regular_smile .gif
) You could even argue that Mahler's 8th is just a big cantate. But, as you say, it's about the 'feel' of the name.
My bet is actually on a numbering scheme, perhaps starting with the Symphony. I'm already curious what Meier's 9th will sound like. (Although he might want to avoid that rather cursed number.)

Quote:

By the way, it'd be fun if someone would name an amp the 4'33".
biggrin.gif

Yes, but only if it's broken.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #28 of 428
Quote:

My bet is actually on a numbering scheme, perhaps starting with the Symphony. I'm already curious what Meier's 9th will sound like. (Although he might want to avoid that rather cursed number.)

My bet would rather be on using the names of famous musical works, though that would be impractical for many symphonies and concertos. Names such as "Corda Valkyrie", "Corda Pastorale" or "Corda Bolero" don't sound bad to me. Of course, we'd better avoid the "Corda Unfinished", or an infamous "Corda 4'33".
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yes, but only if it's broken.
biggrin.gif

That could still be marketed as the first ever 0-gain amp, with unmatched transparency. It's like no amp was even there.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 428
Quote:

That could still be marketed as the first ever 0-gain amp, with unmatched transparency. It's like no amp was even there.
biggrin.gif

This comment was really funny
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #30 of 428
Corda Quartet
Corda Accapella
Corda Solo mono amp
Corda Duet - dual balanced mono amp
Corda Ensamble
Corda Choir
Corda Tenor, Baritone,Saprano, Alto, etc.

You can go on and on ,,,lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back