Coolest Looking Headphones
Nov 9, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
Audioflier,

Don't know if we should get serious here and talk about the best quality phone for mixing (ie being a real professional vs bling artist). I notice Szabi's pics have two DJs with the Sony V6.....how is the sound compared to the Sony v700 DJ? *bling* aside
icon10.gif

The sound of the v700 is overly boomy in the lower marks..but makes (with its 50mm driver fitted with neodymium magnet, these cans pump out too much db for critical or normal listening)however, in a rave or party setting, its ability to deal with transients and external noise is decent of matching beats..I found that the over colored (bright) presentation of the mid and upper marks in the high band make certain frequency responses difficult to match, image, or provide loops into, but is better than that of the V6's presentation, and has ergonomics that DJ's can easier utilize..

Sony v700 VS the V6 for spinning, the v700 is better equipped in terms of its output, but again calibrated much too high in the gain for the lower spectrum of the FR for normal sessions, and where there is not 92+db in your face before you start..

The MDR-V6 make great cans for MONITORING mixes..but NOT for spinning records!!..I have seen plasticman, soulslinger,P-45,DJ Funk, Digweed, DJ Dan, Humpty Vission, DJ siren, Glen Underdround, Paul Johnson, and many others (can't recall right now) that used the V6's...

The V6's to my ears make great reference cans for instruments, like the Piano, Guitar, Cello, etc...but its more neutral respsonse (well Sony dynamic sub $5000 neutral
smily_headphones1.gif
), is not as good for the timbre and mid range when mixing 1200's..as the coloration in lower marks and extended highs make it difficult to lace a mix that sound the same to the listeners aloud as it does/did through the cans..in that, the beats themselves along with the overall toneality is off..and with certain genres of underground (i.e. DnB, Jungle, Happy Hardcore, Trance, House, UK 2 Step, Goa), it is hard to "hear" to know the correct sounds and tones through the V6, as they do not give the best depiction of the original signal path..

The drawback in terms of the design flaw on the V700 is that swivel connector, and its uncanny instict of breaking shortly after purchase..
eek.gif

hope this helps, I wish the underground scene was still alive, man I miss great beats..
basshead.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #62 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noise
1. I said coolest/slickest looking.

2. I really could care less about your "feeling."

3. I have come upon an immortal truth as a DJ. Most headphones give you enough to do your job and have fun, but the looks are very important if you want to actually get a job as a DJ if you don't have much hype around your name.

Your equipment must look great, you can't just sit there doing what you do with minimal movement in your body as your spinning the music, everything adds up. And I am looking for some kiky new cool/slick looking headphones to add a little more edge, because in the club environment its not just music, but also looks.

- noise

[edit]: So far I like the K 701, Koss Porta Pro, and Sony MDR-SA5000 DJ, in that order. Keep the cool looking ones coming!

Ok, since you decided to be an ass about it I will put you in line. You came in here simply asking what the "coolest looking" headphone was. Not once did you say you cared about sound quality or that you are a DJ and that is why you need something that looks good. Because you are a DJ I have a feeling that you are not looking to spend $1,000 on really good sounding headphones that requires an amp to get anything near a good sound, that also looks good but rather are simply looking for something affordable that will meet your needs. So, you could have been more clear in asking your question and did not need to be hostile towards me. So I will simply answer your question,

A good looking headphone which is affordable and does not require amplification is, K81DJ or I would check out some of the sony's or skullcandy headphones because you are going for looks.

Cool Sony's: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ome&Dept=audio

Skullcandy: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ome&Dept=audio

Finally, the reason I said that I have a feeling he does not understand what we are about is because this forum focuses on sound quality and performance over looks which means that we are insane and spend over $1,000 on headphones, amps, cables, sources, etc in pursuit of the sound that we desire. Therefore, you did not understand what we are about

Sorry for the rant I just don't like ********.

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #63 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Dude, you forgot Q-bert and the Invsibl Skratch Piklz!

I also sharted at the good man Duggeh's phonodome. I've seen it posted like 5 times already, and I seem to laugh harder and longer every time.

Eh, I haven't listened to anything recent of Q-Berts. I think the last thing I listened to his was in like 98-00, he was crap compared to the other DJs...I used to see him as a sell-out kinda DJ in comparo with those guys, I dunno, I just got the kinda sell-out vibe, but his skills are there, I dunno, something about him doesn't put him in teh same league IMO....but Piklz, yeah....CRAZY good.

Heh, I didn't think anybody listened to that kinda hip-hop....nice to know I have some company in here....you kinda know the sound I'm after.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #64 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Here ya go!

Headphones that bring the 'bling'! Any of the following headphones are gauranteed to get all the 'hoes'. Just about all of them look DOPE, but sound like a steaming pile of dog shiznit!

Guaranteed to impress anyone you spin for, or your money back. YEAH BOEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

[images]

Hmm I seem to only have owned 4 of those 18. I must try harder. Also you forgot the sigmas.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #65 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noise
3. I have come upon an immortal truth as a DJ. Most headphones give you enough to do your job and have fun, but the looks are very important if you want to actually get a job as a DJ if you don't have much hype around your name.

Your equipment must look great, you can't just sit there doing what you do with minimal movement in your body as your spinning the music, everything adds up. And I am looking for some kiky new cool/slick looking headphones to add a little more edge, because in the club environment its not just music, but also looks.

- noise

Wow you just reek of an absolute superficial DJ poseur. An immortal truth? That is hilarious.

You're obviously the type that mixes what the people want to hear, therefore you'll never be an artist. Stick to DJ'ing the junior high school dances or what not. The types of clubs you'll have to resort to, where you've been convinced that image is apparently everything, will never lead you to a career so I hope you're having fun at least...posing.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #66 of 137
Meow?
josiedit.jpg

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #67 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Wow you just reek of an absolute superficial DJ poseur. An immortal truth? That is hilarious.

You're obviously the type that mixes what the people want to hear, therefore you'll never be an artist. Stick to DJ'ing the junior high school dances or what not. The types of clubs you'll have to resort to, where you've been convinced that image is apparently everything, will never lead you to a career so I hope you're having fun at least...posing.

Ouch....

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #68 of 137
the coolest dj's I have ever seen (easily well over 2000 over the years), always had their own style, and choice of vinyl. One of the best traits in seeing a great DJ for me is THEIR style, and their flavor, looking cool is overrated and I can attest from having seen the likes of Keoki, Crystal Method, J Funk, DJ Bad Boy Bill, and 2 Live Crew-- and many, many more..(signed bill gates. :))

Not looking cool but still shredding it is another story too..
Some of the top DJ's I ever saw that rocked proper and proceeded to tear the roof off were Mark Farina, DJ Etain, DJ Dara, Dieselboy, DJ Xtravaganza, DJ ZTrip and Radar, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads, oh man I need to stop! These DJ's all looked rather bland, or contained little sizzle during their sets respectively, and still rocked out!!

DJ's - those that would differentiate themselves either by preference or spinning skills using vinyl that encompasses mixing music into fresh new style, or music trend..typically are crowd pleasers..

(envelope filters, 4 turntables, no CD mixers here folks)
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #69 of 137
i used to spin Ornette Coleman into Bizarre Love Triangle for my 4am radio show. Eric Dolphy and Peter Hook have a lot in common. Does that earn me the title "DJ Jazzy Jahn?"
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #72 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Jahn don't you feel sassy now?

Not when confronted by a girl who is obviously far sassier than I.
My_Sassy_Girl.jpg

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #73 of 137
Qbert's got a ridiculous amount of technical ability. I saw him at a New Years Eve Party in Milwaukee. He had two tables set up with drum solos and he mixed them together into his own, no, just two tables and a basic mixer. It was pretty sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back