Coolest car you have ever driven/ridden in?
Jan 24, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #76 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
This is probabaly the rental Shelbys that were made for Hertz.

That's right, once upon a time you could rent one. All the Hertz cars came with autos AFAIK and according to my friend who owns a 68 GT350.

ok,
erix

yeah... I know. They had a problem with people renting them on Friday. welding in a roll cage and racing them, then returning them. The mechs said they'd pull up the carpets & find the weld marks. At one time several years ago I was up on the whole line of Mustangs & Shelbys... from 65 up to the goofy one Shelby put his signature on during the 80s. He said that it was a 67. I know that they made both automatic & standards during that time and they had to have made more than just 3 automatics! I'm not trying to talk smack, but either the boyfriend is ********ting you or is a fool. You can still find out how many of each they made. I drove a GT 500KR automatic & the owner didn't say anything about it being one of three... & he knew his car! I had a fully restored 1965 Vintage Burgandy Mustang with a 6 cylinder & air conditioning. It even had the full console that ran from the gear shift to the back. Man I miss that car. ******* ran into it and totaled it. Had no insurance on his end & mine said it was a total loss.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Here's a pic of the last one I kept up with. Used to think it was cool...

SHELBY.JPG

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #77 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Here's a pic of the last one I kept up with. Used to think it was cool...

(delete image)

I wanted one of those when I was 16. Used to watch the SCCA races on ESPN and there were some guys that were getting 150MPH on the straights at the larger tracks with these things 2.2 Chrysler products. Thankfully I never did and wound up with a '67 mustang for a year.

Its amazing what a new paint job will blind us to.

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #79 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
I wouldn't mind taking a ride on this!

l_broadband_Dodge_Tomahawk.jpg

That looks like a prototype for the bikes in TRON
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #80 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
This is probabaly the rental Shelbys that were made for Hertz.

That's right, once upon a time you could rent one. All the Hertz cars came with autos AFAIK and according to my friend who owns a 68 GT350.
ok,
erix

Yep. The black and gold ones were Hertz Shelby's. All autos since they were rentals. They made 500 of them for 1966 model year, dunno about the '67's. I know a guy in Salinas who had one of each, white/blue '65 Shelby and a '66 Black/Gold Hertz Shelby. Talk about a lucky SOB.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #81 of 121
I hate reviving old threads but I had a chance to drive a 2003 Nissan 350Z today and this is the place to post it.

It is a great Sunset Orange color and has black leather.It is equipped with the track package and has a six-speed manual trans.I really like this little car.It is fast but lacks any low-end torque.It has to be reved a bunch to keep things moving fast.It really does handles as well as I have heard.It's kinda wet around here but this car does scoot.The shifter is a little balky but the throw is short and quick,it wasn't long before I was able to snick off a few perfect upshifts.It's easy to heel-and-toe because the pedals are place perfectly for people with big feet like myself.The seats are near perfect and the car rides suprisingly smooth for a car that handles this well.The 350Z lacks the brutality and awesome speed of the Z06 but it is a picture of finesse.the paint is awesome and the interior is beautiful and understated.If you get a chance to test drive one,take it.It is a superb car and is easy to drive fast.This is one of those cars that a novice driver can learn to improve his/her skills without exceeding them.The limits are set high but they are not abrupt.

My niece just moved here from Cali and needed to borrow my Yukon to move some stuff and she let me drive the 350Z while she has my truck.I'm in no rush to swap cars.

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #82 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I hate reviving old threads but I had a chance to drive a 2003 Nissan 350Z today and this is the place to post it.

It is fast but lacks any low-end torque.It has to be reved a bunch to keep things moving fast.

Sounds like it's almost too much fun to be legal. And this is certainly an old thread that's well worth reviving. Anytime is a good time to talk about cool cars.

But that low-end torque problem turned me off. I like that stuff, which I why I still grin each time I drop another tankful of premium into my V8 gas guzzlers.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #84 of 121
The 350Z is my dream car of the moment. Got to sit in one and run through the gears at the Chicago auto show. Beautiful machine.

I got to ride in my uncle's pro stock car a few years back, the last year they did the parade before the race. I was sitting on sheetmetal where a passenger seat should be. About halfway down the track he punched it, got up to about 60 mph, and laughed at my white knuckles. That was probably in second gear (first tops out at 60) but it was still hellacious acceleration.

As for cars I've actually driven...I have a lot of fun when I borrow my dad's Honda Civic. Little 1.6 liter four, but it's still a lot of fun. With the summer tires I can't squeak the tires. And turns I know are a lot of fun...I speed up for those flashing-yellow left turns late at night.

They just finished redoing a ramp between highways a few miles from my home, nice wide smooth shoulders. Ramp speed given is 35 mph...in the Civic I can take the whole thing at about 80, apexing the turns...that's worth the trip in itself.

I drove a Jaguar my dad brought home from work once, but he was in the car and I didn't do anything crazy. I just remember driving at 35 mph and hearing it shift down into fifth gear (automatic transmission). Crazy smooth ride. Had a 3" speedo that went up to 170.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #86 of 121
A teacher at school, back in the 70's, had an austin A40 and was giving us a ride (in the car!) when the floorpan fell out due to rust.... a few broken legs and arms but a most memorable journey :)

Pinkie

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #89 of 121
Yeah, the 350z is very attractive (coughgirlcarcough).

Anyway, what news of the "tweaked" Z06? Please no more bad news, it has been a rough day!

I just fell in love with the new Audi S4 (V8 straight up, no turbo). Too heavy, but the stealth factor is amazing! I want one with the invisible paint option.

gerG

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #90 of 121
I got to spend the entire day with the 350Z.I drive to my shop in Indiana a few times a week and usually take the interstate.When I have the Vette I take the very nice back roads.I drove the Nissan on the same roads I have traveled many times with the Z06.

I have some minor complaints about the 350Z.I think the rear suspension is a bit too softly sprung or does not have enough travel.I was able to bottom out a few times and have some concerns about excessive squat when launching hard.I also think the 350Z with the track package could use tires worthy of the car's capabilities.The standard Potenza Pole Positions are not up to the task.I turned off the stability control and was able to get the tires loose often in some long sweepers.I think a set of shaved Goodrich KDWs or Kuhmo track tires would suit this car better.The worst problem I see is a seemingly fragile clutch.When the clutch gets hot it becomes grabby.This grabbiness combined with the lack of low end torque forces you to get the revs up and sidestep the clutch to launch successfully.The hazing of the tires and subsequent clutch abuse only compound the problem.This only heats the clutch further.I never smelled the clutch burning but it's obvious the clutch is not a strong unit.If I were buying a 350Z for any type of high performance driving I would swap the tires and upgrade the clutch pronto.Another minor annoyance is the stability control.It interferes far too soon.You can feel it reeling you in when you get aggressive.

Overall the 350Z is a solid perfromance car that just needs a bit more power,a better clutch and some real tires.I would buy one.Since this is an audio site I think I should comment on the engine sounds.I think the 350Z has the sweetest sounding V6 engine note going.It offers the right amount of aural feedback and is quiet enough to prevent annoying you on long trips.It does'nt sound as good as the Z06 when it was stock but the Vette has the most vocal exhaust I have ever heard in an unmodified car.

As for the Z06.I told GerG when we were in Vegas that I was having some perfrormance work done.That work is nearly complete and is only being delayed by a software problem that is causing a "check engine" light and a slight off idle stumble at part-throttle.I had Lingenfelter performance build a 427 Cubic inch LS6 motor featuring the GM performance Parts racing block and heads.I also opted for a custom-built fabricated Sheet-Metal intake manifold along with a full exhaust and clutch upgrades.The faxed dyno sheet showed 507 Horsepower and 477ft.lbs of torque at the wheels.I sent my Dad and brother to pick the car up when I was sick and even though they were unable to bring it back,they heard and saw it running and said it sounded completely evil.I can't wait to get it back.This expense has seriously eaten away at my audio budget so I'll be enjoying my existing gear for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back