Coolest car you have ever driven/ridden in?
Jan 19, 2003 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
While I was in Vegas last week I got a chance to visit my favorite uncle who owns a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger.He happens to have purchased this car new on my birthday and it has been with him since.It underwent a full restoration a few years back and it is a real little monster.He almost lost this car in a divorce a while back and his Ex promised to burn the car if it was awarded to her in the settlement.His current wife had to loan him the money to keep it.I got to drive it and had a blast.

When I was in Orgegon a few years back I drove another uncle's Ferrarri 308.That is the only one I have ever driven but I rode in a 360 Modena last year at the Road America track day.I have driven numerous Porches and other semi-exotics.

As a kid it was always my mom that had the cool cars.She is a great driver and learned to drive in 1957 Thunderbird.Over the years she has owned a 1965 Chevy Nova,1967 Camaro,1969 Camaro Z28,1972 Chevy Chevelle SS.She drives a Jag XKR now.The coolest car she ever gave me was the 1974 Chevy wagon that made my sex life the adventure it was.

A guy I did some work for a few weeks back allowed me to drive his new Porche Turbo and I allowed him to drive my Z06 Vette.The Porche was cool but seems too prissy for my tastes.

So ..............

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 121
'73 Duster- fully tricked out 340 with dual quads/tunnel ram etc. It was a 10 sec. machine.

'69 Camaro - alum block 302 with factory cross induction dual quads. The absolute ultimate rod!!

SL560 - I took that one up to about 145mph.

There's more...

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 121
A friend in High School had a’ 69 Road Runner with a 340 magnum I think. It had factory stickers on it of the Road Runner holding a racing helmet in one wing. All stock. That thing could fly. We looked death in the eye and laughed a few times. Ignorance is bliss. That thing was awesome.

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 121
Unfortunately, this (my old car) is seriously the best I've ever driven
rolleyes.gif

carfront.jpg

carside.jpg

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 121
Hmm... I hope to get into driving some great cars later on... maybe club racing with SCCA?
biggrin.gif

Nice to hear you've got a Z06... SUCH a beautiful and awesome car. I'll take a 2002 Z06 in "Electron Blue"

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 121
I had a 67 GTO for about two weeks, until my parents found out about it. I was 13.

Another fun car I had (actually a company car) was a '71 Maverick with a factory V8 before they started seriously detuning them. Handled poorly, stoped worse (manual drums), but probably the quickest car taking off I ever drove. Twisted a couple driveshafts.

Other favorites I've had were a 77 Aspen SE with great buckets and a V8 (blew out the rear after just a couple months -- junked it), and a '77 Town Car - a lot of cows had to die to for the seats in that thing.

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 121
My parents' 97 Acura 3.5RL. Handling is far from sporty, but it really is a nice car.

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 121
I had the opportunity to drive a brand new 1995 Dodge Viper. I made the loan to the guy to buy it (I was a bank manager at the time) and kiddingly told the guy (he was an doctor) that if I get the loan approved for him, I get to drive it once.

He brought it by the bank on the way back from picking it up from the dealership. Took me for a ride, and then asked if I wanted to "take it for a whirl." I was hesitant........for about a millisecond.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 121
I'm partial to American metal. A few of the favorites I've actually experienced include late-model Vettes (I totally dig Vettes -- I haven't been in a Z06 yet).

There was a 25th Anniversary Edition Mustang prototype that never made it to production developed by one of my best friend/business partner's father's companies -- I believe it had a twin-turbo 5.8-liter engine that was very powerful for its time (late 80s/early 90s -- can't remember exactly when). We had some fun with that one. My friend also just picked up a rare, special edition, hopped-up, highly customized Mustang from his father's company's performance division -- and we've really given that machine a workout. His family also owns NASCAR teams, so I've been around the Winston Cup cars, pits and garages a lot, but never had a chance to ride in one (they're single-seaters).

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the desert/mountains with another one of my best friends in his Hummer (the real one, not the H2), off-roading and traveling these very old, unbelievably rough, very rocky (large rocks) mining roads way up a mountain -- though I'd been in Hummers before, we did some insanely scary stuff that pitch-black night that I can't imagine any other production vehicle doing (I mean rippin' scary). That Hummer is a remarkable vehicle, and one I could see myself seriously wanting at some point. This same friend also took me on some frightening rides on his Buell bike some time ago -- he's a very scary individual with these machines, but he knows what he's doing. He recently sold the Buell, and picked up a highly customized Confederate (I think it's a '99 or '00, from before the re-structuring of the company). He took my wife for a ride on the Confederate, but I didn't get a chance, as we all had to split for another destination (the mountains in the Hummer) -- I think that Confederate of his is the most beautiful motorcycle I've ever seen or heard.

I just missed my opportunity to be a passenger in a 360 Modena a couple weeks ago -- the owner (friend of my Hummer friend) had to go into a meeting just before I arrived, so I had to settle for admiring the Ferrari's still form in the parking lot (hopefully I'll get a ride in it next time I visit).

Yesterday, as every year, I attended the North American International Auto Show with my wife in Detroit, and had the chance to admire the still forms of many nice production, future-production and prototype/concept vehicles. Some of my favorites included the upcoming 2005 Mustang, the new-version GT-40 that'll be coming down the pike soon (I hope to be able to take a ride in one of those, as my friend's father's company is also working on the powertrain of this one, and I imagine his father will have one at some point). Of course, I really liked the real Hummers, the newer and upcoming Cadillacs (I totally dig Cadillacs), and many of the concept cars that'll probably never see the light of a showroom.

Embarrassingly enough, when I do ride in the cool stuff, it's almost invariably as a passenger, as I'm not a particularly skilled shifter (and that's being kind). Yeah, I'm one of those wannabe-driver cats, who watches practically every motorsport on TV, but ends up choosing the passenger seat in the really nice cars, and playing computer/console driving games in automatic mode.

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 121
1967 fully restored Shelby GT-500KR, blue with white racing stripe down the center, automatic. Slammed the accelerator to the floor & it scratched off in every gear! Also rode in a Sunbeam Tiger as well. Fast little mofo!

68ShelbyGT500KR.jpg

waybrite2.jpg

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the desert/mountains with another one of my best friends in his Hummer (the real one, not the H2),

The H2 not a real Hummer?
confused.gif

I see them every day (I'm about 20 min from the plant). A little bit nicer than the original, but still every bit a Hummer. I'd be proud to drive one.....especially if I could order it with the roof mounted machine gun. (No, That's MY parking spot)
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cool cars?
I used to have a 78 Chevy Monza with a 305 V8. Added wide tires to handle the power, 4 barrel Holley carb, ignition mods, and had a custom dual exhaust made (Nice and quiet).
It looked like any other stock economy car from the outside, A total sleeper.
Nobody knew what I had under the hood.
I used to love the look on the faces of the Trans-Am drivers when I blew them away.......what fun!

Also had a 89 Suzuki Katana 1100 motorcycle. Stupid fast. Got it up to 145 before I realized what I was doing it was and backed off. Dealer said they were capable of doing 165.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 121
95 Fairlady Z decked out and tricked out

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 121
Jude,

One of my neighbors has a Roush Mustang.I don't like the spoilers but it sounds great and he says it's plenty fast.When the snow melts he wants to swap cars for a few hours.I have'nt ridden any of my bikes for almost a year and the new Buells are so small I can't see myself buying one.I was gonna take a look at a Confederate,but the guys from the company were real jerks when they came to the motorcycle show in Chicago.

One of the owners of Decibel Audio just bought a BMW Z8.I haven't seen or driven it yet but they have both driven my Vette,so a test drive is coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back