Coolest car you have ever driven/ridden in?
Nov 18, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #121 of 121
I got to drive a Diablo several years ago, but it was anticlimactic to say the least. The experience was limited to the private roads winding around Delano Park on Cape Elizabeth (Maine). A combination of the roads, the regulations, and the owner in the passenger seat kept me from taking it past second gear.

So, aside from the hairy/beautiful exhaust note, it was mainly a source of frustration. I can honestly say I'd rather have not driven it at all than to puttered around the area between first and second. I did get it to 50 without chirping the tires at one point... it doesn't take much more than the length of the car to do it!

I have ridden in a couple Ferraris, which is enjoyable, but again, I was born to drive, and riding just doesn;t do much for me. The Ferrari Maranello has the most incredible exhaust note I have heard, bar none. Absolutely seductive. The beautiful and sophistcated woman of the car world, who also happens to be able to bench press many times her own body weight! The Lambo, OTOH, is more like a prostitute.

The most enjoyable car I have driven for any length of time (several days) was a 3 litre Z3 with the sport package. Steamroller tires, and a beautifully broad torque curve. Very nice exhaust note, and also a comfortable car you can live with. I had this car for four days.

A close second is the Honda S2000. What a surprise that car is. It looks like a Civic at passing glance, totally unmemorable. If you get it and drive it like a typical car, it also feels like a Civic, although the steering is SO tight and high-rate, it's a bit spooky. You can't shift the car at 4500 to 550 RPM, or it feels like you are driving a nice lawn tractor. The thing redlines at 9 grand. If you run it up to 8200 to 8600 before shifting, that's another story.

After about 6800, the VVT starts tweaking things quickly, and all of the sudden the exhaust changes to a formula 1 note- complete with all the light mechanical thrashing you hear with a Hewland transaxle. All hell starts to break loose. It feels like a pair of turbochargers have spooled up, which is not the case, and whatever is in front of you starts to come up very fast. The steering feels much better at 80 than it does tooling around town. The shifter is to die for. I could run the car through all six speed without lifting the heel of my hand from the console. No ****. Very stiff suspension, and a huge blast to drive, probably accentuated by the fact that you are not expecting much when you get in.
Totally unpractical and overpriced, however. The seat had a tighter grip on me than the Corbeau in the Formula Atlantic I used to run in SCCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back