Convert open to closed?
Sep 21, 2009 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Dogbane

Banned
Is there any mod that can be done to give open phones (thinking of HD650 in particular) at least some isolation without ruining the sound?
I keep trying to find closed phones that I like (mainly to block out the noise of my refrigerator), but so far none even come close to the awesome sound of my 650s, so such a mod is beginning to seem like the only option.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 28
I think you're out of luck here. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get an open headphone to become isolating without dramatically changing the sound. The sound change may not be bad (although this is most likely) but I think a sound change is unavoidable. But even so, this mod is completely hypothetical as far as I know - there's no existing way to make the 650s closed. The only three ways I can think of, each with significant drawbacks, would be:

1) Cover up the backs of the 650 cups with some sort of sound isolating material (will likely sound terrible),
2) Design closed cups with favorable acoustics to attach to the 650s (very complicated if you're not a professional), or
3) Transplant the 650 drivers into a closed can (May be difficult if 650 drivers are oval shaped - not sure if they are - and even if you found a pair of headphones which would fit, you would really be rolling the dice on sound)

There's no good answer here, except to buy some closed cans, accept refrigerator noise, or do something to minimize refrigerator noise like unplugging it, moving it, or moving your setup.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 28
the most open sounding closed dynamic phones I have tried are the w5000's, their soundstage is impressive, maybe you should give them a try...

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 28
I've never listened to the W5000, but if it's like the W1000 or the Denon D5000, despite being closed they may not isolate particularly well.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 28
I highly doubt that a mod to convert open headphones to closed will be successful as well. One thing that you have to take into account is that an open headphones drivers are meant to driven a certain way. The best way to tell how your phones will sound if you closed up the back is to just put your hands over them while playing music. I know if you do this with a Grado the sound just becomes horrid; but if there is a way to do it out there then kudos.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 28
I think you are out of luck with converting the HD650.
It is designed to be an open-back headphone, and blocking the back wave will most probably cause issues hard/impossible to correct. Unless you build a housing awfully large.

As for great sounding closed-back headphones I highly recommend the Stax 4070. I sold mine earlier this year, but to this day it stand out as my clear favorite closed-back headphone.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 28
1. Make a wooden box 3x3x3 ft. (perhaps sq will improve if you make it bigger)
2. Isolate it.
3. Make a hole that fits your head and headphones.
4. Insert head.

There's room for improvement - perhaps you could replace one of the sides with plexiglass
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Sep 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 28
Be aware that while Darths can be the best-sounding (in particular the X-Deep Darths w/600ohm drivers) "closed" headphones - they are not really totally closed. There are two holes left open from the recabling process that help them create their magic. Closing all of those holes reduces the quality of their sound. Ditto the k340 (modded or unmodded) which are accepted as closed - but like the Darths - are really semi-closed. I've owned k271 and suggest they be disregarded. If you really need isolation - stick to IEM's used with Comply tips. My faves are Ety, or Klipsch.
Closing the Senns means their SQ will be diminished.

That must be a pretty damn loud frig. you have there - give it to someone else for some peace.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any mod that can be done to give open phones (thinking of HD650 in particular) at least some isolation without ruining the sound?
I keep trying to find closed phones that I like (mainly to block out the noise of my refrigerator), but so far none even come close to the awesome sound of my 650s, so such a mod is beginning to seem like the only option.

Cheaper and easier to replace the fridge.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never listened to the W5000, but if it's like the W1000 or the Denon D5000, despite being closed they may not isolate particularly well.

Most closed headphones with large soundstage is open headphones marketed as close. They cheat leak like crazy and hardly isolate at all

Otherwise for headphones with large soundstage AND isolation Pro 900 have made me quite happy surely. Even though it doesn´t match the K701 in soundstage size of course
wink.gif
. Larger soundstage then the HD 650 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back