Convert open to closed?
Sep 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wear a full-faced motorcycle helmet while you're listening.

lol

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That must be a pretty damn loud frig. you have there - give it to someone else for some peace.

As long as I am rocking out, it is not a problem. It can be very annoying during quiet passages, though. (A few other noises are even more irritating, but fortunately only occasional. These include upstairs neighbors showering, the lawn crew working, and airplanes/helicopters.)
Since it is supplied with the apartment, I really don't have the option to replace it with a quieter one.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some really deep closed woodies that might minimize the affect, but there certainly will be some effect however small.

Wood colours the sound way more then plastic it seems from the markl D5000 and JVCs DX 1000 to judge to judge. They both are indead quite deep. DX 1000 insanely deep you see it in your peripheral vision
wink.gif
It make you hear the ear cups which kills the soundstaging for me. You can kind of hear what material your headphones are made of unless the design is very clever.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 28
Wrap the refrigerator's motor with sound absorbing material if you can open it up down there. Maybe wrap much of the refrigerator if you really have to get rid of that sound. Or just get used to it, its only irritating if you let it.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrap the refrigerator's motor with sound absorbing material if you can open it up down there. Maybe wrap much of the refrigerator if you really have to get rid of that sound. Or just get used to it, its only irritating if you let it.

Check out this creative guy! That's problem-solving at its best.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Check out this creative guy! That's problem-solving at its best.

Or conversely sound proof a room.  Even if you do it on the cheap.  Hang thick blankets/rugs on the walls.  Foam doesn't insulate, it dampens reflections, so forget that (although it might help with speakers).  Place throw rugs down.  If you can do a more pro job, you can add an insulating wall (there are some cheap ways to do this).  I'm in an apartment where this isn't really possible, but perhaps some may be able to?

At a minimum a japanese folding style wall with heavy blankets or something draped over the entire wall can help the fridge noise noticeably.  Just slide from wall to wall between the fridge and the room you're in.  Won't eliminate it, but will lessen it.  I used to unplug my fridge for a little while I listened to music, but if you forget to plug it back in you're in trouble...

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #24 of 28
I have FOCAL CLEAR headphones which are open back.They sound great with beautiful bass, but the bass does seem to lack some punch. I have been placing a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt 770's (Which lost audio in one side) over them as they almost perfectly cover the entire FOCAL CLEAR cans. I just have to slightly bend the Beyernamic's yoke slightly for a better angled fit. Also, I place the head bands of both headphones side by side on the top of my head. Since I'm in the privacy of my own home, who cares how silly it looks?

I find that it makes the bass a little punchier and don't find that it hurts the sound IMO.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #25 of 28
I have a different problem, guys n gals. I've used a pair of MDR-V700's since they were first released, which is close to two decades if my surmise is correct. The swivel point is now cracked. I baby my equipment, but a few spills from 24" off the ground due to the kids being where they shouldn't be caused them to give way. They are still usable, but in light of eventual doom I snagged the SE-A1000's for $30, locally. I don't think these sound terribly different than the V700's except they are brighter so I am hearing new texture to certain instruments and such. They are good headphones in my opinion, but I am also of the opinion that they, like the V700's, will not shine unless you put a real amplifier behind them. I'm using a Schiit Magni 3 so I have relatively massive wattage on tap.

As for my problem, the Pioneers are open-back. Which is fine except that even at moderate listening levels my wife is telling me it's too loud and distracting while she studies, and the babies sleep gets interrupted by it as well. Now, I understand from some reading that trying to close their backs will likely harm their fidelity. So is there instead some way of absorbing the sound on the way out so they remain open-back, but don't project sound into the room?

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #26 of 28
There is a member who closed off his 58X with some custom wood. I can't remember who it was for the life of me. You could skim through the 58X thread to find them/him.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #27 of 28
Is there any mod that can be done to give open phones (thinking of HD650 in particular) at least some isolation without ruining the sound?
To achieve this would be extremely difficult. The sonic reflections in closed headphones are a big problem. Sennheiser’s own closed back HD820 has had much criticism.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #28 of 28
I think the easiest solution is to get a another set of closed headphones for cases like these.
Also maybe try moving to a different room, close the door and listen at softer volume levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back