Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Sep 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #181 of 548
Quote:
haha when i was a Audio Newbie starting out this very addicting hobby

in Freshman year High School i was peer pressured into buying SkullCandy Uprocks.. which i regret..(i sold them later on)
funny thing is, is that one classmate said "Mine are better, they are in Rasta colours" while mine is in Blue.

i suppose the same arguments go on with kids, with Beats in dazzling glorious colours.
Though.. if i do find myself buying a pair for NO apparent reason other than just getting it for no reason. id definitely get it in Pink.

side note: I could see the discontinued Beats Monster becoming valuable in this time, since Monster/ Beats is at its marketing-prime
but the god awful msrp pricetag... geez at 500$ id get me a Sennheiser HD600 which is similar in price. BUT BETTER in sound and quality

I am so glad that I wasn't ever under peer pressure in high school... everyone either respected each other or at least didn't patronize others over their decisions.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #182 of 548
Quote:

I am so glad that I wasn't ever under peer pressure in high school... everyone either respected each other or at least didn't patronize others over their decisions.

yea, Peer Pressure purchases suck.
quickly learned after that. although i do keep getting the "bro you should get Beats" thing. but i know i have better alternatives to save up for..

plus, why do i need Beats if i have me some Grado Sr80i's

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #183 of 548
becawz beats looks sooooo kewl! it iz da best headset eva!!!! dr dre rockz!!! dat wooden headset is sooooo yezterday man you nerd!!!11!1!!

^im goin'na hell for this

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #184 of 548
itd be really hard for me to resist Headphones that are endorsed by Daft Punk..

that is, if the headphone is a good one at a reasonable price.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #185 of 548
Quote:
there is always a backlash for the things at the top by knowledgeable users.  apple, beats, gibson.......all share similar traits.  they are overpriced for what they actually provide.  but with that said they also offer some other things with that.  simplicity and design generally.  they cut through the ********.  not everyone is a tech head, or an audiophile.  they want something they can plug into their ipod and enjoy.  most people arent mastering records or critiquing music.  they dont want to be concerned with or lug around dacs and amps and flac files.  beats cut through the ****, and gave people a phone that can accomplish that, and at a quality that most people have never experienced in a headphone.  and atop that, they made it so you dont look like a nerdy ******* while they did it.  they started a trend that headphones can actually have pleasing design aesthetics, to which im grateful.  

now, everyone on here is going to claim how bad and overpriced they are.  and they are.  overpriced at least.  value-wise, they are not good.  but they accomplish exactly what theyve set out to do.  they cut through the audiophile glossary and cut straight to the heart of it.  they make it "dumb proof" and cool.  

thats a strategy for success that will always come under attack from people knowledgeable about the mediums.

^^ Agreed

According to several reports, Beats accounted for aprrox. 53% of the $1 billion headphone market in 2011. I realize the cool thing to do on Head-Fi is bash Beats, but as a marketing grad, I think its cool that Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine thought up a different way to make money in an industry that has drastically declined ( "super" producers like Dr. Dre, used to be able to charge $250,000 per beat. Now it's probably $50,000 tops or a 4 song package at around $150-250K).

Most of us on here love reading 1,000 pages of posts on 1 headphone/Amp/Dac/ DAP etc, most people won't do that. I Found this site about 2 years ago when I had bought the Beats Studios and Beats Tours, and decided for the amount of money invested the sound wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be OR expected it to be, so I went to the interwebz for more research. I took home the Tours and Klipsch S4i's to audition and kept the $99 S4i's (I'm a "noob" so I'm steadily working up to customs, currently have TF10's/ATH-50's/DT770's now).

I'm here in the States, and a lot of the things reccomemded on this site as well as other "audiophile" sites, you can't buy conveniently at a Best Buy or Guitar Center, so your average consumer is going to grab what they can, off the shelf & to them higher price and celeb endorsements = best quality. Besides that, most don't care if their MP3s are 96kpbs or 320kpbs, you mention ALAC, FLAC etc and they get confused. You can argue with the market, but the market shows that people are happy with Beats. Besides if they weren't selling, the price wuold've dropped years ago. I personally think the Studios are worth +/-$100.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #186 of 548
Beats are making me increasingly sick.

In major department stores in london there was a mini influx recently of headfi-favourite headphones out and available to demo. These stores get a lot of traffic and the headphone departments are far from neglected. So what do I see happening- everyone gravitates to the beats, bose and other glossy ones. Everything else from denon to shure to sennheiser to ultrasone are ignored. 
So what do the stores do. Partially/wholly remove these aforementioned demo headphones and just focus on marketing the beats and similar stuff. Makes sense.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #187 of 548
Quote:
Beats are making me increasingly sick.

In major department stores in london there was a mini influx recently of headfi-favourite headphones out and available to demo. These stores get a lot of traffic and the headphone departments are far from neglected. So what do I see happening- everyone gravitates to the beats, bose and other glossy ones. Everything else from denon to shure to sennheiser to ultrasone are ignored. 
So what do the stores do. Partially/wholly remove these aforementioned demo headphones and just focus on marketing the beats and similar stuff. Makes sense.

If it makes you feel any better, when I tried the beats studios on at the apple store, I secretly felt very guilty since I did not want to actively promote or be seen with an already very over-advertised set of cans. From two different impressions I had, I thought they weren't too bad of cans when not fed with a crap source. They are indeed very bassy and might be overpriced, but they are comfortable and to be honest I can't say they are all that bad of an investment if it makes someone's music listening more enjoyable.

My 2 cents

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #188 of 548
Well, in the context of an apple store it's probably the best product there when it comes to value 
evil_smiley.gif

No, it's good to try them. I mean it's a headphone and (over hear at least) one thats thoroughly available for demo so there's no reason not to try them if you're a headphone fan in general. The more variety you hear the better I guess.
I randomly picked up some cheap earphones from a store the other week. Round about a fiver they cost me. Philips she3590. They sound markedly better in every way all the beats range (plus a heck of a lot of other phones). But the fact is that philips may just as well rip out them drivers and technology, replacing it something grizzly, as most likely they will sell just as well. If it saves cost then awesome!

The general publics consideration of headphones, IME, is just too different to the 'audiophiles. That's what them hi-end demo stations realised and that's why quite a few of them no longer are there.   

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #191 of 548
why is it so hard for many of you to understand that some people (read: MANY people) want, look for or prefer the type of bloated drown out everything bass that the beats produce? what you like is what YOU like, how does what they listen to or how they listen to it affect YOUR enjoyment of music?

are they overpriced or overrated? of course, but then again what isnt? something is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it, and to millions of people beats are worth the price

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #192 of 548
Quote:
why is it so hard for many of you to understand that some people (read: MANY people) want, look for or prefer the type of bloated drown out everything bass that the beats produce?

Because often times, these same people will come to realize later on that they DON'T in fact like that sound.  When people come on here and say they like the "bloated drown out everything bass", there is usually a mute response.  Occasionally there will even be some encouragement to those people in the form of "get what you like, forget what others say."  But more often than not, they come here filled with regret (and feeling a bit victimized) that they bought into the hype and have since realized that they wanted something different.  They simply bought the Beats because they did not know any better.

It is the ignorance that we're against, not the preference.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #193 of 548
Quote:
why is it so hard for many of you to understand that some people (read: MANY people) want, look for or prefer the type of bloated drown out everything bass that the beats produce? what you like is what YOU like, how does what they listen to or how they listen to it affect YOUR enjoyment of music?

are they overpriced or overrated? of course, but then again what isnt? something is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it, and to millions of people beats are worth the price

People who wear ugly clothes and use bad audio gear are committing aesthetic crimes against society. Ultimately I would like for this thread to lead to a federal ban on baggy trousers, ugly headphones and the word "bro".

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #194 of 548
Quote:

Because often times, these same people will come to realize later on that they DON'T in fact like that sound.  When people come on here and say they like the "bloated drown out everything bass", there is usually a mute response.  Occasionally there will even be some encouragement to those people in the form of "get what you like, forget what others say."  But more often than not, they come here filled with regret (and feeling a bit victimized) that they bought into the hype and have since realized that they wanted something different.  They simply bought the Beats because they did not know any better.

It is the ignorance that we're against, not the preference.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

often times if feels like when they come here, they're not so much guilty of buying into the hype but rather trading one hype for another

they're not made to feel welcome, its just a bunch of elitist who probably never heard the beats to begin with dictating what is and what isnt good sound.

not implying that thats what you are, but i feel like there is alot of pressure to push grados or sennheisers or other bass light headphones over phones like beats to people who really only wanted bass to begin with and thats the part that alot of members here cant comprehend

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #195 of 548
Even if all you care about is bass, I'm not sure why you would buy Beats. The solos and studios are basically disposable plastic toys and their only real offering, the PRO, has inferior bass to Ultrasone/M-Audio/etc for 3-4x the price

People buy beats for the same reason old people use America Online, they just don't care enough to research it and want what everyone they know has. You're right though, it doesn't affect me. I don't go around raising anti-beats awareness or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back