*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #706 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where Grados are manufactured? This is certainly not meant to be a post against Chinese assembly (in fact I'm generally for it if it reduces costs and improves quality), I'm mainly asking because the speculated costs here seem a bit low for a low-volume, niche market, American sourced and manufactured component.

Brooklyn, NY

even i know that and i am in the UK
popcorn.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #707 of 941
Zanth;5468807 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but you left out the most pertinent part of that quote: the PS-1. It is doubtful someone can source an RS-1, GS-1000 AND a PS-1 for under $1700.

You're right. I had to leave that out or it would go over $1700.
redface.gif

But you get my point though- I would have thought that being able to get GS1000 and RS1 new for $1300 should still satisfy a lot of "diehard" Grado fans. That's something that wasn't possible a few weeks ago before all the "i"s came out and PS1000 on the way. I guess one has to decide what's better value for money at this point . There's no guarantee that I would like th PS1000 as much as you do. (thanks for the great review and info though.) Remember all the over the top positive reviews of GS1000? And later the divided opinions?

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #708 of 941
another reason i am a bit wary about the PS1000 (at least until i hear it) is that although Zanth gave it pretty much the highest marks possible for a headphone, he also really likes the GS1000 - a headphone which i (and a lot of others) have mixed feelings about.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #710 of 941
well I gave it the highest possible marks for a headphone I've heard and for things I want in a headphone. I still would like the air avaiable to the Omega II's, soundstage of K1000's etc. You catch my meaning, but ultimately, I'm transparent about my desires for a musical playback system. Rather than hyper real, I want musically alive, rather than super fast, I want realistic presentation etc. Some headphones are faster than the PS-1000's (electrostats for instance) but over time I get bored of that presentation because it doesn't sound like real life at all. I'm a jazz musician and so I have certain expectations and desires that flow prominently from the sounds I hear on stage. Others may play in a band, heavy metal for instance and my want something that portrays music a lot closer to what that experience may be like, or others may simply adore Electrostats/Qualia presentation with hyper-like detail and declare them best.

No doubt, some weren't blown away by the GS-1000's but then if one set up the right system one doesn't get the declared faults. Akin to buying an SDS for the R10's. In my mind, it is not worth it, despite the outcome being perhaps utterly awesome. For me I went in another direction that I find far more appealing. Again, this is the reason everyone should really try to listen for themselves.

We all have different priorities. We all have different desires and we also don't all hear the same. This is a big deal. Following one person's likes and dislikes over time and perhaps comparing them to one's own opinions is a good way to track similarities and then gauging whether a phone might appeal to them based on past similarities. It is about the best one can hope for from reviews. Otherwise, get those phones in your home!

I'm a big advocate of SET amps...300b is thus far my preferred tube and I like full range high efficiency speakers. Some balk at this setup and declare it rubbish. Others claim that when one hears it and gets that the idea of having 1000 W amps and 86db efficient speakers is for the birds. To each his own. Whatever makes music for a listener is the best system for them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #713 of 941
I might have missed this in the thread somewhere but when is the proposed ship date for the PS1000's ...

A good bud of mine and I were talking today and the word, "vaporware" came up ... which is bothersome to me cause I'm seriously thinking about selling all my Grado headphones (and Stax!) simply to get these ...

But if it's too long of a wait ... I'll most likely just stick with my RS1/GS1K rig ...

Anyone?

Thanks!
.joel

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #716 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vance182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, my SR80's are about comparable to the new RS1i's, so I will be putting them up for sale for roughly $2,500.

That's just ghey.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #717 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zanth, in your opinion does the PS1000 have the same (spikey) sound signature as the GS1000, or are they more neutral?

More neutral. But not HP-1000 neutral. PS-1 neutral.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #718 of 941
Quote:

FYI, my SR80's are about comparable to the new RS1i's, so I will be putting them up for sale for roughly $2,500.

Why $2500?

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #719 of 941
Quote:

FYI, no they're clearly not. Please schedule an appointment with your local audiologist as soon as possible.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #720 of 941
Quote:

FYI, my SR80's are about comparable to the new RS1i's

Quote:

I suffer some hearing loss

Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back