*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 27, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #676 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: Oops, I didn't get that exactly right (in terms of what I intended to say). Meant to say that I doubt the production costs of the headphones themselves exceed $75, but I certainly could be wrong about that. The wooden boxes probably add another $15 to their cost, so that would only add about 20% based on my best guess, rather than 100%. But whatever. I have no idea what their costs are, but am speculating based on what I've heard from good sources about some of their other products.

A 2,300% markup on a PS-1000 sounds perfectly reasonable,...I guess? These headphones are singlehandedly inflating the currency and devaluing the dollar. I think I'm going to visit GradoLabs to let them know that I want a piece of the pie. Their headphone production appears to be a legal way to print money!

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #677 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HD-800 was $500-$600 and the PS-1000 about $700-$800, I'd have ordered both. If either company drops prices to reasonable levels, I'll place an order.

That would be nice but somehow not very likely.... Before I ordered my hd800, I did have to consider whether to get speakers or not. And I came to the conclusion that if I do get it, the total cost, including a power amp and cables, would be roughly 4+ times the cost of the hd800
confused_face.gif
. Thus I choose the headphone instead.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #678 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 2,300% markup on a PS-1000 sounds perfectly reasonable,...I guess? These headphones are singlehandedly inflating the currency and devaluing the dollar. I think I'm going to visit GradoLabs to let them know that I want a piece of the pie. Their headphone production appears to be a legal way to print money!

Of course, my numbers are pure speculation, but I'd be shocked if there is less than a 1000% markup on the PS-1000's direct cost. That would be a $170 cost of production (materials and labor only) excluding overhead or any product design and development costs. But really, in this case, everything is adapted from previous models anyway.

But no sense in belaboring the point. Again, for me, it all comes down to how they sound and whether that particular signature will be something I'm interested in adding to my arsenal. The wooden boxes will only have a 500% markup on cost, or so.

In the case of the HD800, it's much more clear to me that I'll want a pair simply because of what they represent in terms of their use of technology. We haven't seen anything quite like them before, with the ring driver and all (at least not among the usual suspects in the high end headphone market).

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #679 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the case of the HD800, it's much more clear to me that I'll want a pair simply because of what they represent in terms of their use of technology. We haven't seen anything quite like them before, with the ring driver and all (at least not among the usual suspects in the high end headphone market).

I am interested in checking out the HD800 too because they are a new design and not an "improved" version of the HD600/650. Another thing, HD800 are more likely to have a price drop in the future which will make them even better value for money compare to the Grado.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #681 of 941
and when you can afford those better headphones you speak of, why not go further and get the next ones?
wink_face.gif

and so on....

top of the grado lineup is good enough for me personally for now, i am saving for HD-800 also, so will compare those, and sell one if there is a clear winner.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #683 of 941
Does anybody know when people can expect delivery of their PS1000??

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #684 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this is a good year for new headphones but it doesn't matter to headfiers I suppose.

Blasphemy! Any year is a good year for new headphones.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #685 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know when people can expect delivery of their PS1000??

They should be shipping within 1-2 weeks.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #686 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should be shipping within 1-2 weeks.

Thanks subtle.

I think the people at Grado will pay close attention to comparisments between HD800 and PS1000. By charging more then the HD800. They have really something to live up to.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #687 of 941
Wmcmanus,

Can you sponsor me for a PS-1000 Jumpathon? I'll do 1000 jump ropes in under 20 mins, or maybe 1000 push-ups in under an hour. Hell, I'll perform any torturous act over 1000 times for a PS-1000 as long as it doesn't leave a scare on this perfect specimen I call my body.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #688 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blasphemy! Any year is a good year for new headphones.

Maybe some years are better than the others for new headphones- when people are not getting laid off and have more money to spend.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #689 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some years are better than the others for new headphones- when people are not getting laid off and have more money to spend.

Yeah I understood where he was coming from, but it's a bit difficult for headphone companies to predict times of economic hardship and recession when the top economists of the world can't even seem to do so.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #690 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps Grado sales were dropping faster than Dow Jones numbers in 2008. Revamping the product line would certainly create renewed interest with their merchandise whereby possibly reestablishing profit figures comparable to yesteryear.

Since Grado is not known for changing/altering their line, I surmise that they are feeling the economic squeeze like everyone else. This is clearly a desperate attempt to maintain market share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back