*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #691 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be nice but somehow not very likely.... Before I ordered my hd800, I did have to consider whether to get speakers or not. And I came to the conclusion that if I do get it, the total cost, including a power amp and cables, would be roughly 4+ times the cost of the hd800
confused_face.gif
. Thus I choose the headphone instead.

It's all about buying used. You can go to four times the price with anything, my point is that you can bring in a speaker system, amp and all, for less than a HD-800 or a PS-1000. I did. An EL34 based push-pull amp might smell musty to the audio fashionistas, but it works. Same with cables. I don't want to get into the cable wars, but there is no denying that 11 cent per foot lamp cord will deliver power to speakers. I mean, the speakers work if you hook them up with the least expensive stuff you can find. I don't hear or measure any deficiencies with it, either. Maybe the $500 cables add something, but $5 cables will deliver music. My point is that you can piece together a functional and excellent sounding speaker setup for less than a HD-800. Heck, even new gear costs less. A pair of Magnepan MMGs for $600 and a $200 receiver with Radio Shack cables will give you the detail, a lot more soundstage and real bass for about half the cost of a HD-800. Why pay more for less?

The sad thing is that there's no justification for the prices of the HD-800 or PS-1000. They're just massive profit centers, trying to trade on exclusivity. I think Wayne's numbers are in the ballpark for costs - that's about what I come up with, too. Maybe the headphones are excellent, but you have to recognize the luxury marketing beast when you see it. The philosophy there is to put enormous pricetags on stuff knowing that the less technically inclined will associate price with value. If it costs that much, then there must be something to it. Right? Think it over. Look at the costs.

I'll tell you what Sennheiser did. They hired a luxury brand consultant, said that they had new headphones and asked for a way to maximize their margins. The consultant probably nosed around here to figure out the maximim that people would pay for a top-end headphone and went with that price. The price has nothing to do with costs. Then they choked back on the dealers, promised them a load of points (difference between wholesale and retail) and are now floating stories about false shortages. There is no shortage, that's bull. False shortages are created to make a product appear more desireable. Same with the wait for them to ship. The luxury brand consultant is probably having them hold off to whip up hype, build anticipation, and so on. If people got them immediately and a few didn't like them, orders would crash. This way, the early adopters will order and make 2,000 post threads fanning the flames. Rumors of false shortages prompt more to preorder. You are being manipulated for profit.

If you think this is just conspiracy theory, go pick up a marketing textbook. This is all marketing 101. Basic stuff that everyone does. Riding the hype rollercoaster is fun, but you'll feel empty a few months out. The only reason companies do this is to drive profits. Again, read some marketing books. The focus is on profit. Only profit.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #692 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all about buying used. You can go to four times the price with anything, my point is that you can bring in a speaker system, amp and all, for less than a HD-800 or a PS-1000. I did. An EL34 based push-pull amp might smell musty to the audio fashionistas, but it works. Same with cables. I don't want to get into the cable wars, but there is no denying that 11 cent per foot lamp cord will deliver power to speakers. I mean, the speakers work if you hook them up with the least expensive stuff you can find. I don't hear or measure any deficiencies with it, either. Maybe the $500 cables add something, but $5 cables will deliver music. My point is that you can piece together a functional and excellent sounding speaker setup for less than a HD-800. Heck, even new gear costs less. A pair of Magnepan MMGs for $600 and a $200 receiver with Radio Shack cables will give you the detail, a lot more soundstage and real bass for about half the cost of a HD-800. Why pay more for less?

The sad thing is that there's no justification for the prices of the HD-800 or PS-1000. They're just massive profit centers, trying to trade on exclusivity. I think Wayne's numbers are in the ballpark for costs - that's about what I come up with, too. Maybe the headphones are excellent, but you have to recognize the luxury marketing beast when you see it. The philosophy there is to put enormous pricetags on stuff knowing that the less technically inclined will associate price with value. If it costs that much, then there must be something to it. Right? Think it over. Look at the costs.

I'll tell you what Sennheiser did. They hired a luxury brand consultant, said that they had new headphones and asked for a way to maximize their margins. The consultant probably nosed around here to figure out the maximim that people would pay for a top-end headphone and went with that price. The price has nothing to do with costs. Then they choked back on the dealers, promised them a load of points (difference between wholesale and retail) and are now floating stories about false shortages. There is no shortage, that's bull. False shortages are created to make a product appear more desireable. Same with the wait for them to ship. The luxury brand consultant is probably having them hold off to whip up hype, build anticipation, and so on. If people got them immediately and a few didn't like them, orders would crash. This way, the early adopters will order and make 2,000 post threads fanning the flames. Rumors of false shortages prompt more to preorder. You are being manipulated for profit.

If you think this is just conspiracy theory, go pick up a marketing textbook. This is all marketing 101. Basic stuff that everyone does. Riding the hype rollercoaster is fun, but you'll feel empty a few months out. The only reason companies do this is to drive profits. Again, read some marketing books. The focus is on profit. Only profit.

you make a point but at the same time you overlook R&D costs which we dont know and cannot calculate. I wont personally speculate and i dont defend these prices, but plenty of companies need to sell at massive profit margins in order to recoup total costs and begin to earn a profit. The best example i can think of is microchips, which costs mere cents to manufacture, but require millions of dollars and countless man hours to initially develop. Are headphones a bad comparison? Probably since the technology has hardly changed in decades, save some limited examples of which i would include the HD800 into.

Even if they're taking you to the cleaners and getting a huge profit, thats like anything. A cell phone probably has about $15 worth of parts in it yet theres plenty of people who pay the $250 price tag. How about MP3 players? Televisions? Your microwave? It goes on.

So what else is new?

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #694 of 941
At least, the HD800 is the outcome of some new thinking and years of R&D.

I wonder when the idea for the PS1000 came, and how much R&D it took before launching it.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #695 of 941
i'm fine with the price of the HD800. of course, we always want things to be cheaper than they are, but as mentioned the HD800 isn't just an improved HD650, or HD650i as some other companies would do it. as for the new grados, i'm not so sure. the new line up including the PS1000 looks gimmicky.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #696 of 941
Hi Uncle Erik, I know what you mean. For me (just me) I think the HD800 should sell for the $800-1000 mark. This I feel is reasonable because of the R&D involved and also as luxary goods. However, in UK, prices aren't as good as US. Most of the top headphones cost £700-1100 here. A lot of the time we are paying £1 for $1 !! Very unfair really. In the case of HD800, they actually sell for £1000 which is in line with US at $1400 so at least we don't get extra rip off. But in the case of Grado, it will cost £1600-1800 ($2300-2500), which is totally horrific!

As for second hand hifi, hifi industry is in serious decline over here and what seems common in US is general classify as "high end" here - due to the usual £1 to $1. And unfortunately I am not the biggest fan to a lot of the more common local products (don't want to offend).... By the way, congradulation on your CJ and Quad, they should sound pretty awesome - I used to use CJ gear too!

Lastly, just my conjecture, I think it is likely we will see an economic version of HD800 soon or later. Afterall it is the true reason behind project HD800. I am guessing it will probably be called HD700 or something. If it does appear, it will be a killer product and I am so totally guessing here that the price should be pretty good too. I hope they launch it this year (xmas?).

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #697 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least, the HD800 is the outcome of some new thinking and years of R&D.

I wonder when the idea for the PS1000 came, and how much R&D it took before launching it.

hehe they probably just looked at the price tag and said to themself "lets make that one a bit bigger"
wink.gif
Thats all it takes

But I am hoping that the PS1000 is as good as the HD800

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #698 of 941
I would agree, but at the same time, the only person who has heard the ps-1k says it is amazing. If enough people think that the sound is worth $1700 then that is what the price should be, considering the point of a business. At the same time, even though I am very interested in the ps-1k and as much as I defend economics and business in terms of pricing, 1700 seems really high in a way that even $1400 for the hd800 doesn't.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #699 of 941
Unc Erik sez,

"Same with the wait for them to ship. The luxury brand consultant is probably having them hold off to whip up hype, build anticipation, and so on."

I think he's mostly right about that, plus everything else he says, but the problem is that, at least with me, it's backfiring.

Whatever Sennheiser is doing at the moment is pee-oooing me off, not whipping me up. It's to the point where I resent the waiting game torture, and would consider the Grado or even an investment in a Stax Omega.

Anybody else getting a tad angry with the nice folks at Sennheiser?

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #700 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree, but at the same time, the only person who has heard the ps-1k says it is amazing. If enough people think that the sound is worth $1700 then that is what the price should be, considering the point of a business. At the same time, even though I am very interested in the ps-1k and as much as I defend economics and business in terms of pricing, 1700 seems really high in a way that even $1400 for the hd800 doesn't.

I'm not the only one to have heard it, just the first one to have posted impressions. That said, they are pricey and ultimately one is going to have to sit back and figure out what they want out of this hobby. Uncle Erik makes magnificent points. However, those who find themselves in a spot where speakers can't work just yet (I'm in such a situation), headphones are a suitable alternative. At this point one has to figure... how long until speakers are an option, or do I prefer headphones? Like vcoheda, I very much enjoy headphones listening and often prefer its intimacy over the grand sound of speakers. So, for someone who knows headphones are long term, are $1400 or $1700 or $4000 headphones worth it? Worth can be measured out in parts value, but many won't go that route because trade offs in enjoyment are rarely reflected there. For someone like me that really likes the Grado house sound, having their best is a win win. First win is that I have the best from them, the second is that I have my favourite headphone in an environment where I can't yet enjoy the speakers I want.

I own a Macbook Pro. It cost $2800 CAD a couple of years ago, that was with the student developer discount. For half that, I also built an insane server. The server was 3x the power. It runs Linux. My Macbook works very very well. It's polished. The experience is far more enjoyable than using my boss' Dell which is 6 months old and more powerful. I paid the premium because the experience in the end would be worth it.

One can calculate worth by taking the amount paid for the item divided by parts cost as well as overhead and R&D, or one can go further and take the amount paid and divide that by parts cost + R&D + predicted level of enjoyment and multipled by the expected amount of time owned. Subjective but worth is subjective too. I remember when I bought my Aeron chair and paid about $1000 CAD for it. People looked at me like I was insane. Then I told them that I sit in a chair in front of a computer for at least 8 hours a day, that this chair is far more comfortable than any other chair I'd tried and that it would last longer than the typical office chairs I saw people using. Moreover, the support for my back would decrease my fatigue and help me be more productive. Overall, based on an hourly use over a year...the chair turns out to cost a dime an hour. Incredibly valuable to me.

I don't know if I would ever fork over 10-18k for the Big O, but if I had the disposable income and I enjoyed that rig more than any other headphone setup I'd heard, you bet I would consider it! Some on principle would never, but then some on principle would never pay more than $30 for headphones and like to download their music for free versus paying $60 for 180 gm remastered by Hoffman 45 rpm double LP albums. $60 for an album sucks, but the bliss listening smokes that of some hashed 128 kb/s mp3.

As always, my advice is try before you buy. This is why I have a headphone loan program running and I hope to expand it to ultimately include every headphone out there. I want people to enjoy headphones in their home before feeling like they have to commit money to something they might ultimately not like or not like enough for the money spent.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #701 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unc Erik sez,

"Same with the wait for them to ship. The luxury brand consultant is probably having them hold off to whip up hype, build anticipation, and so on."

I think he's mostly right about that, plus everything else he says, but the problem is that, at least with me, it's backfiring.

Whatever Sennheiser is doing at the moment is pee-oooing me off, not whipping me up. It's to the point where I resent the waiting game torture, and would consider the Grado or even an investment in a Stax Omega.

Anybody else getting a tad angry with the nice folks at Sennheiser?

x2! I agree with the whole marketing 101, with one exception--Supply and Demand.

Reason: As pointed out above, there are other options around or cropping up stealing that buzz, stealing their imagined market share.

It's happening right now : the D7000 went from $999.00 to $600.00. A savvy consumer says: why would I wait around for a more expensive headphone when I can get one right now--cheap too!

Grado is coming out with the PS-1000. A diehard fan and consumer of Grado may say: I've always wanted a PS-1 or GS-1000 or RS-1, and now John Grado's figured out how to put both or all of them into one headphone! I'm not going to wait around for something great when something else that I feel is great is coming to market before it.

The Ultrasone Edition 8 is on its way as well. Many of the folk from the something about Ultrasone's thread could have been potential consumer of the Sennheiser brand...lost because of self inflicted shortages...hmm.

And let us not forget the used ("good deal") market as it pertains to market share; there are many an old but goody to be had there. ATH-L3000, STAX, AKG, etc. People know their sound or have read about them in many of a comparison or review and want them to hear them for themselves.

The marketshare for the HD 800 is getting ate up.

"They hired a luxury brand consultant, said that they had new headphones and asked for a way to maximize their margins. The consultant probably nosed around here to figure out the maximim that people would pay for a top-end headphone and went with that price. The price has nothing to do with costs. Then they choked back on the dealers, promised them a load of points (difference between wholesale and retail) and are now floating stories about false shortages. There is no shortage, that's bull." Uncle Erik

I hope that the "consultant" got paid upfront.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #702 of 941
I am not 100% sure they want to delay, it isn't to their advantage at all! I mean I can't imagine a hugh number of customers going to buy a few $1k+ headphones (within few months). But s**t happens, things get delayed, quite normal.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #703 of 941
Snacks;5468526 said:
x2!

"Grado is coming out with the PS-1000. A diehard fan and consumer of Grado may say: I've always wanted a PS-1 or GS-1000 or RS-1, and now John Grado's figured out how to put both or all of them into one headphone! I'm not going to wait around for something great when something else that I feel is great is coming to market before it."

A diehard fan who wanted a GS-1000 or RS1 can now get them both with money to spare instead of getting the new PS1000.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #704 of 941
pcf;5468730 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2!

"Grado is coming out with the PS-1000. A diehard fan and consumer of Grado may say: I've always wanted a PS-1 or GS-1000 or RS-1, and now John Grado's figured out how to put both or all of them into one headphone! I'm not going to wait around for something great when something else that I feel is great is coming to market before it."

A diehard fan who wanted a GS-1000 or RS1 can now get them both with money to spare instead of getting the new PS1000.

but you left out the most pertinent part of that quote: the PS-1. It is doubtful someone can source an RS-1, GS-1000 AND a PS-1 for under $1700.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #705 of 941
Does anyone know where Grados are manufactured? This is certainly not meant to be a post against Chinese assembly (in fact I'm generally for it if it reduces costs and improves quality), I'm mainly asking because the speculated costs here seem a bit low for a low-volume, niche market, American sourced and manufactured component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back