Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...

hehe funny
regular_smile .gif
. But I think he was being ironical

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #722 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I gave it the highest possible marks for a headphone I've heard and for things I want in a headphone. I still would like the air avaiable to the Omega II's, soundstage of K1000's etc. You catch my meaning, but ultimately, I'm transparent about my desires for a musical playback system. Rather than hyper real, I want musically alive, rather than super fast, I want realistic presentation etc. Some headphones are faster than the PS-1000's (electrostats for instance) but over time I get bored of that presentation because it doesn't sound like real life at all. I'm a jazz musician and so I have certain expectations and desires that flow prominently from the sounds I hear on stage. Others may play in a band, heavy metal for instance and my want something that portrays music a lot closer to what that experience may be like, or others may simply adore Electrostats/Qualia presentation with hyper-like detail and declare them best.

No doubt, some weren't blown away by the GS-1000's but then if one set up the right system one doesn't get the declared faults. Akin to buying an SDS for the R10's. In my mind, it is not worth it, despite the outcome being perhaps utterly awesome. For me I went in another direction that I find far more appealing. Again, this is the reason everyone should really try to listen for themselves.

We all have different priorities. We all have different desires and we also don't all hear the same. This is a big deal. Following one person's likes and dislikes over time and perhaps comparing them to one's own opinions is a good way to track similarities and then gauging whether a phone might appeal to them based on past similarities. It is about the best one can hope for from reviews. Otherwise, get those phones in your home!

I'm a big advocate of SET amps...300b is thus far my preferred tube and I like full range high efficiency speakers. Some balk at this setup and declare it rubbish. Others claim that when one hears it and gets that the idea of having 1000 W amps and 86db efficient speakers is for the birds. To each his own. Whatever makes music for a listener is the best system for them.

Could You tell me what is the main reason, I should buy PS-1000 instead of GS-1000?
Did You hear PS-1000 with your EAR Yoshino or other amplifier?
And why You have not SET 300B, 2A3 or 45?

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #723 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, no they're clearly not. Please schedule an appointment with your local audiologist as soon as possible.

LOL!! This a very subjective hobby/illness rememeber. But I guess there are certain limits within the realms of commonly agreed upon sanity...
confused_face.gif

But for the record I will offer 2500 pesos for the SR80's...
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #725 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could You tell me what is the main reason, I should buy PS-1000 instead of GS-1000?
Did You hear PS-1000 with your EAR Yoshino or other amplifier?
And why You have not SET 300B, 2A3 or 45?

Hard to say why anyone would want one headphone over another. I can tell you why I would choose the PS-1000's over the GS-1000's. I tried to do that in my review as well as in the thread linked to above. The PS-1000's are a better headphone in every way to the GS-1000's to my ears.

I did hear the PS-1000's with the HP4, as well as my Melos SHA-X and the Grado RA-1. I mostly used the Ear though perhaps the Melos is actually better with them. It really depended on the night I was listening and the type of music. Overall I prefer the HP4 to the Melos so I tend to stick with this. Also, my Ear is hooked up to my turn table and my Melos to my cd player, so once I had a solid understanding of the headphones, I stopped swapping amps.

As to why I don't have an SET amp with those tubes? As far as I know, besides the Cary 300SEI, there isn't another SET amp on the market, or at least there wasn't when I procured the EAR HP4, that could effectively drive the Grados. The old Moth amps were specifically declared blah by the manufacturer with headphones less than 250 ohms. Grados are 32. As much as I enjoy the looks of the old Moth amps, and always wanted to try one, there was no way I was going to go forward when they wouldn't drive half the headphones on the market. The Cary is enticing, and one that I considered but the EAR from reviews always came out on top. I finally had a chance to hear both and I preferred the EAR at the time. They are also a bit limiting when selecting speakers. I am very interested in some Wyetech Labs Sapphire monoblocks for speakers, so any new amps that come into my home will be for speakers. I'm at or near the top of the heap for headphones in the amp department. I can't afford speakers right now, nor the amps that go along with them, so for that reason I don't own a SET amp with 300b/45/ or 2A3.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #726 of 941
Zanth

Tanks for you answer. Well, if PS-1000 are better than GS-1000 in every way, nothing to do remains but to buy them. Awful, but what to do? I was decided to buy GS-1000, so I must pay twice more… I hope PS-1000 are worth it.

As far as I know there are many more SET headphone amplifiers than Cary 300 SEI and Moth. For example my Antique Sound Labs Twin-Head (originally 2A3 which I transformed for 45), WooAudio 5 (300B), Manley 300B preamplifier (which I don’t recommend You) and Art Audio Conductor + Diavolo (300B).
ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB
ART AUDIO | ART FOR THE EYES, ART FOR THE EARS
Woo Audio High-End Tube Amplifiers - The Sound of Excellence

In Canada You have fantastic and not expensive laudspeakers - Raference 3A
Reference 3A Loudspeakers

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #727 of 941
The Twin-head had just been released when I was looking at a full tube amp and ASL had MANY problems so I stayed far away from their stuff. Woo Audio was unknown at the time (and perhaps didn't even exist?) Manley would have been way outta my price range (and I didn't even know they had headphone outputs!) and the Art Audio stuff doesn't seem to have headphone outputs.

Regardless, these days we are I think in the Silver age of headphone amps. A plethora exist for so many to choose from, but when I was looking Ray and Mikhail had just started up, Rudy hadn't yet established himself, Headroom and Meier were sticking with solid state, leaving only the tried and true amps folks had been raving about for nearly a decade.

I suppose selling the EAR to try out some other amps could be an option, but the fear that they wouldn't surpass it or merely be a side step make it not very worth while for me over all. At least not at this time.

As for the PS-1000's being better than the GS-1000's, yes, to me they were better in every way, or at least on equal ground in some aspects (soundstage, headstage etc). Given this, for me, PS-1000;s are more desirable than GS-1000's. For someone else they may well feel differently.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #728 of 941
Conductor is a special side dish (preamplifier) for Art Audio Diavolo to headphones. This is really great combo, but very expensive.
I’m not sure if to change EAR for some SET amplifier is a good move. I have heard very good opinions about this amplifier.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #729 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe funny
regular_smile .gif
. But I think he was being ironical

Yes, I was. I was going along with the 'Vintage Grados sound better' thing. My SR80's sound like SR80's.

Also, everything sounds like it's turned down to me. My ears seem to be just not making things loud. I can certainly here the difference in headphones, music quality, things like that. My vinyl-to-digital rips of Led Zeppelin 4 have a minor buzz, and I can't listen to them with any good can, though all my friends and family can't hear the buzz.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #730 of 941
With all due respect to those serious headphone geeks who don't hear ear-to-ear with me on this one, I have to admit a certain degree of skepticism here. To me, this move by Grado - to give an "i" to everything in stock - looks like the most obvious of gimmicks.

Let me preface my point with some background. I'm no engineer, but for the last couple of years, I've been a Grado freak. I stumbled onto Grado after sending back plastic schlock from Bose and Shure. I was about to go full-bore cynical until I read a review of the SR-60 and decided to take the plunge. Opting for the SR-80 (for a few dollars more), I was immediately blown away by the crystal clarity of the Grado sound. Within a month or so, I made the jump to the SR-325i, which lasted me about three months before I was sporting the RS-1, which lasted me about a month before I bought a GS-1000. I currently own every item in the "i"-challenged product line, with the exception of the SR-125, SR-225 and RS-2.

I drive people nuts about Grado, including the kids I teach, the physical therapist I went to after a skateboarding accident and a very-disappointed salesman at the Bose store. Today in church, I found the guy with the Beatle tie and asked him if he knew about the whispers on Let It Be. When he didn't, I told him, "Cue it up to 1:06, right after the line, "For though they may be parted."

But there's a difference between specific innovations (open-air design, high-purity copper wiring, little drilled holes in the back of the transducer housing, gummy sound-damping on the back of the housing) and mystical, magical, mumbo jumbo. With the likes of Sony and others taking notes, it's to be understood that Grado wants to keep its trade secrets. But listing an "improved" driver doesn't come near to making a compelling case for a $750 upgrade to the GS-1000.

It seems to me that Grado is trying to kill two birds with one stone: It wants to go after those willing to pay more for a used PS-1 than a new GS-1000. It also wants to raise prices in the middle of a recession. Its apparent strategy is to claim these are all new products. And aren't they? See the "i"?

What's particularly brazen is the Olympic-style flips and twists in replacing Mahogany with aluminum. After years of insisting that the mahogany-packing RS-1, RS-2 and GS-1000 are superior to the aluminum-encased SR-325i, Grado is now rebaptizing the GS-1000 in aluminum. This "hybrid" will have a mahogany base with an aluminum rear chamber slipped on like Cinderella's golden slipper. It makes no sense to me to argue that aluminum and mahogany are the ebony and ivory of great sound. Grado is simply going after the PS1 crowd and their aluminum-housed RS-1.

Given the complaints that the GS-1000 is too sibilant, it's to be expected that Grado would shift away from a flagship that, to many, sounded like a sonic Edsel. But in shifting to the PS-1000, Grado has kept the salad-bowl cushions of the GS-1000, which were a large part of the "problem." Lifestyle products like to speak in candy-coated simplicities whereas the world of hi-fi sound is littered with a lot of "ifs." There's no such thing as the perfect choice, let alone the perfect headphone. Every choice brings with it certain costs and benefits. Those big salad bowls on the GS-1000 were designed as a response to the criticism that Grado's soundstage is too narrow. But the "Grado sound," which some dismiss as "bright," "raw," "harsh" or "too up front," is the charm of the product. For some, it may take a bit getting used to, but the emphasis on midrange opened the door to spectacular clarity and detail.

The salad bowls gave the GS-1000 a more recessed, "refined" sound, closer to some of its competitors - such as the relatively-dull Sennheiser. That "concert hall" put the listener back so many rows, letting in some of that high-end sparkle muffled out by the narrow soundstage. To do this, the big bowls pushed the ear further from the driver. But this endangered the bass, which was tweaked. The result was a driver with thumping bass, high-end sizzle, but a disarming drop in midrange. To many, the GS-1000 sounded too much like all of those home theaters sporting "satellite" tweeters, balanced by a corner subwoofer. This equalizer smile left many Gradoheads feeling left at the altar. They paid the highest for a headphone at odds with the Grado sound.

But most of these issues came back to the salad bowls. Irritated by the sometimes-abrasive treble, I replaced my bowls with doughnuts, at least until I could properly burn them in. This eliminated screeches at the high-end but with all that throbbing bass, it made me wonder how a person could create a mod that would "open things up" without overdoing it.

When Grado announced plans to sell a PS1000, I decided to try something. I have an SR-60 I've "modified" by replacing the original pads with doughnuts. After removing the grill, I decided to remove the entire air chamber, leaving the transducer naked as a streaker. I also punched holes in the rear screen, aligned with the 10 little BB-sized ports. The idea was to leave as little surface area for resonance as possible. This would reduce the total SBL of the driver, making it the sonic opposite of a horn tweeter, but leave, as much as possible, only the front waves from the driver itself.

The result was amazing clarity. Even though the SR-60 lacks the UHPLC wiring of the higher-end Grados, this chamberless SR-60 is about as open as it gets. In comparison, my RS1 sounded more colored and cannish. I've been making my family do Pepsi tests on my SR-60 and my RS-1 and GS-1000. Although my 15-year-old son thinks the RS-1 has more bass, I find the unechoed infinite baffle of this SR-60 preferable. In fact, for the life of me, I can't see why an open-aired headphone - with no pretensions at creating an acoustic suspension system - would need an "air chamber" to begin with.

There's another tweak that I found particularly helpful. As mentioned before, the allure of the salad bowls is that they push the ear away from the driver. This is to widen the soundstage and "open things up," particularly for high-end detail. But the degree to which this is needed depends on the shape of the headband. Shoving the driver against the ear, like a vice, tends to mute the high end. Reducing the tension opens things up, without the need of salad bowls. What's more, by careful bending, you can both loosen the vice and shape the orientation between ear and driver.

Various strategies have been employed to "widen things up" manually, including add-on accessories for mechanically distancing ear and driver. I found the best solution was to augment the Spartan head band with padding that gently pushes the jaws of the vice apart, reducing ear pressure and allowing the earlobe to vibrate more freely. Grado's strategy - in employing the salad bowls - is to go around the ear and to use each cushion to push ear and driver apart. This may seem intuitive, but where it eliminates contact between the earlobe and the cushion, it reduces a valuable medium for communicating bass response. If some part of the headphone is going to make contact with the head, to push the driver away, it should not be anything whose vibrations are being used to communicate sound. Perhaps people don't think of a cushion as a medium of sound communication, but it's hard to imagine ever being so innocent.

If you take the headband on the lower Grados - that Spartan piece of vinyl over wire - and augment it with padding that pushes the drivers back from a point just above the ears, you end up with pads that are making contact with the earlobes, but with a pressure so light, they're practically floating. What you'll get is a tactile flutter that augments bass nicely without sacrificing soundstage. With the right adjustment,you can get a sound that is neither too open nor too closed.

And none of it involves a "hybrid" of mahogany and aluminum.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #731 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But listing an "improved" driver doesn't come near to making a compelling case for a $750 upgrade to the GS-1000.

It seems to me that Grado is trying to kill two birds with one stone: It wants to go after those willing to pay more for a used PS-1 than a new GS-1000. It also wants to raise prices in the middle of a recession. Its apparent strategy is to claim these are all new products. And aren't they? See the "i"?

Grado is simply going after the PS1 crowd and their aluminum-housed RS-1.

What the heck are you talking about? It's pretty apparent you've never heard a PS-1. It's vastly different from an RS1 and GS1000.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #732 of 941
could you elaborate a bit more? j/k

do you think you will at least try and listen to the PS1K, to see if your thoughts are borne out?

interesting to hear your sr60 mods, imagine what you could do with a modded PS1000
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #733 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the heck are you talking about?

give him the benefit of the doubt, he obviously meant PS1000, not GS1000

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #734 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give him the benefit of the doubt, he obviously meant PS1000, not GS1000

No he obviously didn't.

He is speculating that the PS-1000 is simply a GS1000 in a metal body. Sorry, but it's not the same driver.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #735 of 941
^^^ Otstanding post, Bilavideo. You should hang out here more often! Err, don't just hang out, but post! You have much to share in terms of your Grado experiences and overall understanding of acoustics and sound reproduction; others will obviously stand to benefit by your further participation here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back