*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #316 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
screw it when headroom gets it in stock I will most likely buy it to test against the HD800's

Can't wait for that review...

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #318 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I predict that in the near future, we will see an explosion of people meal-casing their woodies.

Metal woody R10s?
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #319 of 941
Grado is trying to beat HD800....

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #320 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the PS-1 was legit.

Very true.Grado aluminum cans like the PS1 and HP-2 ooze quality construction.

And good review you wrote Jason,i know i will be getting a pair as soon as i can.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #321 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
screw it when headroom gets it in stock I will most likely buy it to test against the HD800's

You can already preorder from Todd. The credit card hopped out of my pocket within the first ten minutes of his thread going up.

I'm in his first run of the HD800 so I'm looking forward to doing that comparison myself.

Grado PS 1000 [PS 1000] - $1,695.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #322 of 941
Aren't the diaphragms in all Stax some exotic thin metal ...that would make them the "orginal" metal phones.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #323 of 941
Hmm I read on the updated page, it said that GS1000i has a new driver as well. The review was comparing the old GS1000 with PS1000. But how is the GS1000i ? $1700 will translate into $3000+ in Aus, that's in a realm of a really good DIY speakers.

Why can't Grado uses metal blocks like that all metal Grado ? That plastic blocks doesn't match the look. And they are fragile to be on a headphones this expensive. My MS-1 is tied with rubber band because the right plastic block cracked and snap in half.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #324 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why can't Grado uses metal blocks like that all metal Grado ? That plastic blocks doesn't match the look. And they are fragile to be on a headphones this expensive.

I agree.

Bring back the rod locks, proper rods, and a nicer headband for the flagship phones too for this price. I would also like to see a balancing system perhaps similar to AT as an option for existing models and standard on the GS/PS.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #325 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the PS-1 was legit.

Yea they were indeed legit, but it's pretty much a known fact that in the past couple of years the quality of Grado products have gone down hill.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #326 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to a Stax SR-007II or an Orpheus, the PS1000 and HD800 are positively cheap.

Maybe when the Omegas were first released but its been at sub 2k for quite awhile now, more specifically the O2 is at $1750 shipped. Also consider that the Yen is incredibly strong still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we want to look at top priced dynamic phones... Sony R10's were $4000 and their Qualias were about $2500.

Those 2 designs specifically were also a departure from the norm or in some way introduced characteristics that were so superb that they completely distinquished themselves from the rest of the pack. Both headphones also reeked of build quality. Im still curious as to if the P1000 is actually using its own driver design. If its simply the same as the GS1000/i or simply tweaked, i dont think you can properly compare them. I'd call $700 more for an enclosure modification, which will indeed result in a noticably different sound, rediculous and totally unjustified. Hopefully that is not the case though.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #327 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I read on the updated page, it said that GS1000i has a new driver as well. The review was comparing the old GS1000 with PS1000. But how is the GS1000i ? $1700 will translate into $3000+ in Aus, that's in a realm of a really good DIY speakers.

Why can't Grado uses metal blocks like that all metal Grado ? That plastic blocks doesn't match the look. And they are fragile to be on a headphones this expensive. My MS-1 is tied with rubber band because the right plastic block cracked and snap in half.

Yes, I said the same thing earlier. $1700 headphones and $1 plastic blocks? I have always been put off by this detail. I prefer the metal blocks on the HP1000. It couldn't cost that much to make them out of metal. They must have thousands of those blocks in the spare parts bin.

Oh, I forgot, those blocks must be Leona fiberglass plastic blocks, you know, that new space-age stuff. No, digital-age stuff. No, uumm, what decade are we in?

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #328 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems that the driver is new, changed and improved, from GS1k or not, not sure, but changed and impvoved was stated. It could be PS1 driver as well. Also the cable seems to be thicker. I think its based on PS1 in the first place as I truly believe thats where GS1k are came from.

I don't know if the GS1K was really based on the PS-1. To me, the GS1K was never as refined as the PS-1. The GS1K was more like a modified RS-1 with improved bass but the mids got recessed due to the bagels. The PS-1 was more like a modified HP-1000. They both have a liquid quality and were very refined. The PS-1 seemed take the RS-1 sound signature but add the HP-1000 refinement along with some added bass.

Based on the review, it sounds like there should be a noticeable improvement over the GS1K. Should be more like the PS-1 with a larger soundstage.

If I didn't already have the L3000, this would be the perfect headphone for me. The HD800 sound like the headphone for people seeking the top neutral headphone. The PS1000 sounds like it is for people that like the Grado house sound, but want the best. The PS-1 & HP-1000 refinement, the GS1K soundstage, and the RS-1 fun sound and texture.

I think my biggest problem with the PS-1 for me was it's lack of texture. Even though I enjoyed it more than the RS-1, there was something the RS-1 had that was missing from the PS-1.

Also, for some reason, I really like the look. I know it's just a metal version of the GS1K, but it seems to work. I thought the GS1K were just funny looking. I still think the HD800 looks awful especially in photos where they're being worn. Just too high tech. Very nerdy. The Grado still have a retro style. I agree that they should have gone with a more HP-1000 headband style. The current one just looks cheap. For $1700, they could have had a custom headband. For that much money, a little should go to craftsmanship. The L3000 easily win in that department.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #329 of 941
Quote:

I do think the PS1000's price is WAY higher than it should be. I would think $1200-1300 would be more than sufficient for what we see here. The HD800 is a completely new design and is only $1400 (lol only), whereas the PS1000 is a tweak of an old design.

Well, Sennheiser is a much bigger outfit than Grado so I would think that ultimately they can offer products for cheaper.

As for me, I wasn't too crazy about the look of the GS1000 so I'm not so keen on the PS-1000 either. Of course though the sound is what matters so I am anxiously awaiting for the comparisons between the PS-1000 and HD800. As Audiofiler recently mentioned, the verdict will probably be that they are different. I have a feeling this may be a hard decision for some of us.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #330 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im still curious as to if the P1000 is actually using its own driver design. If its simply the same as the GS1000/i or simply tweaked, i dont think you can properly compare them. I'd call $700 more for an enclosure modification, which will indeed result in a noticably different sound, rediculous and totally unjustified. Hopefully that is not the case though.

Sounds to me like it is. Reading Zanth's review he notes that the midrange is significantly more forward in presentation than the GS1000. That certainly isn't the result of a metal housing. I imagine it's a completely new driver or a tweaked version of the already awesome PS-1 driver.

Oh, and rediculous is a uniquely ridiculous word.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back