*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #331 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can already preorder from Todd. The credit card hopped out of my pocket within the first ten minutes of his thread going up.

I'm in his first run of the HD800 so I'm looking forward to doing that comparison myself.

Grado PS 1000 [PS 1000] - $1,695.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

ooo exciting
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #332 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I said the same thing earlier. $1700 headphones and $1 plastic blocks? I have always been put off by this detail. I prefer the metal blocks on the HP1000. It couldn't cost that much to make them out of metal. They must have thousands of those blocks in the spare parts bin.

Oh, I forgot, those blocks must be Leona fiberglass plastic blocks, you know, that new space-age stuff. No, digital-age stuff. No, uumm, what decade are we in?

So, david, you have not answered to my remark on cheapy, aggressive and ridiculously uncomfortable pads used in this 1.7K $ headphones.

:p

P.S : btw Grado does not have such huge R&D team like Sennheiser has. As some others said, PS-1000s are probably some good tweaks on old phones, while Sennheiser was able to bring a completely new design and concept.

But, again, for people who love Grado, these can be their ultimate cans..... PS1 + RS1 + GS1000 all positives, should be great headphones.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #333 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, david, you have not answered to my remark on cheapy, aggressive and ridiculously uncomfortable pads used in this 1.7K $ headphones.

:p

That's odd. I never once had an issue with comfort when I owned the GS1000's.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #334 of 941
i'll say this about the pads, it is nice that you can cut half a dozen spare pairs from the inside of that wooden box they're offering. 6 pairs of spare cups for $70 and a plain wooden box to drop your broken grado parts into? Bargain.

tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #335 of 941
Quote:

That's odd. I never once had an issue with comfort when I owned the GS1000's.

I agree, the GS1K bagels are quite comfortable. The biggest issue I had with them is they stained the skin a little when new. They also smelled bad new. The other problem I had with the big pads was positioning. I seemed to have too much room to move the headphones around.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #336 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll say this about the pads, it is nice that you can cut half a dozen spare pairs from the inside of that wooden box they're offering. 6 pairs of spare cups for $70 and a plain wooden box to drop your broken grado parts into? Bargain.

tongue_smile.gif

Hehehehe, that's so true!

For me I can't stand any kind of Grado pads.... But I have Headphile pads in reserve in case I happen to try Grado again..

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #337 of 941
Well, thats fine with me, but when I tried PS1 with GS1k pads they were GS1k for 90%. On the other hand when I tried GS1k with PS1 pads, no way they were even close to PS1.
The rest of Grado line are just the rest, means way behind, to me anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if the GS1K was really based on the PS-1. To me, the GS1K was never as refined as the PS-1. The GS1K was more like a modified RS-1 with improved bass but the mids got recessed due to the bagels. The PS-1 was more like a modified HP-1000. They both have a liquid quality and were very refined. The PS-1 seemed take the RS-1 sound signature but add the HP-1000 refinement along with some added bass.

Based on the review, it sounds like there should be a noticeable improvement over the GS1K. Should be more like the PS-1 with a larger soundstage.

If I didn't already have the L3000, this would be the perfect headphone for me. The HD800 sound like the headphone for people seeking the top neutral headphone. The PS1000 sounds like it is for people that like the Grado house sound, but want the best. The PS-1 & HP-1000 refinement, the GS1K soundstage, and the RS-1 fun sound and texture.

I think my biggest problem with the PS-1 for me was it's lack of texture. Even though I enjoyed it more than the RS-1, there was something the RS-1 had that was missing from the PS-1.

Also, for some reason, I really like the look. I know it's just a metal version of the GS1K, but it seems to work. I thought the GS1K were just funny looking. I still think the HD800 looks awful especially in photos where they're being worn. Just too high tech. Very nerdy. The Grado still have a retro style. I agree that they should have gone with a more HP-1000 headband style. The current one just looks cheap. For $1700, they could have had a custom headband. For that much money, a little should go to craftsmanship. The L3000 easily win in that department.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #338 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, the GS1K bagels are quite comfortable. The biggest issue I had with them is they stained the skin a little when new. They also smelled bad new. The other problem I had with the big pads was positioning. I seemed to have too much room to move the headphones around.

Yeah you're right about the funky smell. That's trademark Grado Labs for you.
biggrin.gif

I never had an issue with the staining, but I was the second owner of my pair. Perhaps it all wore off by then? Regardless, I always put each pair of my Grado pads through two wash cycles to soften them up and remove the odor. A little bit of that unique funk still survives, but it works wonders on taking the edge of the stock roughness.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #339 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Are you just having fun trolling tonight?

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #340 of 941
Quote:

Yeah you're right about the funky smell. That's trademark Grado Labs for you.
biggrin.gif

I never had an issue with the staining, but I was the second owner of my pair. Perhaps it all wore off by then? Regardless, I always put each pair of my Grado pads through two wash cycles to soften them up and remove the odor. A little bit of that unique funk still survives, but it works wonders on taking the edge of the stock roughness.

The GS1K odor was almost too much for me. I enjoyed the smell on my new RS-1 but it started to give me a headache with the GS1K. Not that I would know, but it smells a little bit like cocaine.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #341 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there is always a segment of society that can and will spend whatever it takes to own the "best". There is a place in the world for Bentleys and Patek Philippes, but I've thought many times how nice it is that the average Joe can afford the best headphones available. not for long

what a great statement... agreed +1

im not sure what to think about these.. epecially since ive been reviving all the hp/hf1 2 etc threads.... im not sure what to think about the price but i will say that they do look good.. and yes please get rid of the plastic blocks .

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #342 of 941
Yeah its interesting. I really like the smell of my brand new MS1. They smell better than 990pro.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #343 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the diaphragms in all Stax some exotic thin metal ...that would make them the "orginal" metal phones.

No, the diaphragms have to be made of Mylar or a similar polymer. Electrostats work like a capacitor - you have to have a dielectric between the plates for them to work. Metal conducts, so there would be no capacitive effect between the plates.

You might be thinking of a ribbon or AMT driver, though. A ribbon is a strip of aluminum hung inside a magnetic field. You pass the signal through the ribbon and it generates sound. An AMT is pleated like an accordion and also placed in a magnetic field. The pleats "pump" the air back and forth, generating a lot more air movement than a similarly sized ribbon. Each has its advantages. I have both ribbon and AMT loudspeakers - the AMT does a better job of dispersion, but the "sweet spot" for ribbons is the closest reproduction I've ever heard to live sound.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #344 of 941
Man this thread went 0-23 pages fast!

Admittedly, after hearing Beyer then Sennhieser, Grado quickly fell out of favor. Their sound and comfort just weren't there. Changing the pads to the Sennheiser 414 helped alot, but the sound was still not right. I wonder how much R&D went into the PS1000 and if they are a new phone or a tweaked phone or if they use the same driver as other existing phones in their line-up.

Athought it may not be a true indication of a headphones sound, it will be interesting when the graphs come out.
popcorn.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #345 of 941
$300 more than the HD800 and Grado still haven't redesigned the headband.

I would hope the drivers are different and improved from the GS1000. Otherwise, the HD800 is going to outclass the PS1000. Well, at least with those that value sound quality over the amount of metal used in headphones.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back