*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #301 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grado Labs
All metal work for the PS1000 and SR325is is machined from a special non-resonant, very hard alloy. Grado utilizes a special processing method to increase the material's porosity. This complex treatment insures that the earphone chamber has no "ringing" which might obscure detail or add coloration.

Oh yea they go to through the effort to use a "special processing method" yet they can't be bothered gluing driver enclosures to metal spokes properly, use excessive glue on drive mesh to glue a piece of cloth to an enclosure, have asymmetrical buttons, poorly finished wood etc etc.

At their price tag these better not have poor QC like most of Grado's line up
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #302 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1700.......this is bad. Headphone makers will be as bad as Krell and McIntosh in a few years making stuff for only the uber-wealthy.
I know there is always a segment of society that can and will spend whatever it takes to own the "best". There is a place in the world for Bentleys and Patek Philippes, but I've thought many times how nice it is that the average Joe can afford the best headphones available. Not for long.

The new Senns and now the new Grado's are pointing to the end of the days when the bleeding edge of headphone audio is within reach of the majority of music lovers.

So buying a 1,700 headphone means you are uber rich. It you want cutting technology, you need to pay a premium for them. I spent almost 4 grand on headphones and recabling. Does that make me rich? I work at Best Buy.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #303 of 941
Must be hard working at Best Buy trying to push that consumer crap when you have that kind of rig at home
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #304 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TTVJ was allowed to sell a certain number of them per month, I think. I don't believe there was ever a waiting list, but I could be wrong.

Todd was permitted to sell 2/month and that was a deal between him and the German distributor. By 2/month I mean, he was getting 2/month. At first they did well, but then they started to sit on shelves. The deal was that so long as they were selling...more would be made, but the German distributor sold his lot and the demand on our side of the pond evidently was not there leaving about 200 having been sold. Back then $1400 was considered A LOT for headphones. These days, folks fork over $1400 for RS-1's that are 10 years old. HP-1's fetch around 2k and mint PS-1 (albeit for charity...) can go for 3k.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #305 of 941
as a 325i fanboy, this could be the very thing that will satiate my now more demanding but loyal requirements, please god, let me able to speak with the vendor who currently has my GS1000 order and change to it!!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #307 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Todd was permitted to sell 2/month and that was a deal between him and the German distributor. By 2/month I mean, he was getting 2/month. At first they did well, but then they started to sit on shelves. The deal was that so long as they were selling...more would be made, but the German distributor sold his lot and the demand on our side of the pond evidently was not there leaving about 200 having been sold. Back then $1400 was considered A LOT for headphones. These days, folks fork over $1400 for RS-1's that are 10 years old. HP-1's fetch around 2k and mint PS-1 (albeit for charity...) can go for 3k.

I remember passing on a pair of HP1000s with RS1 drivers in them for $700 or something like that.

*sigh*

Hindsight...

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #308 of 941
Interesting development. I've just read through the entire thread, and expect to have 20 more pages to read tomorrow.

So far, only Zanth has heard them. It will interesting as more impressions roll in. While I respect and trust Jason's opinion (he's certainly a very experienced Grado listener, so who better to make the comparisons against other Grado models?), all ears hear things differently. The nice thing about the HD800 is that we have several data points from respected and experienced listeners to go by. I'm sure this will soon be the case with the PS-1000 as well.

Having said that, you can color me a bit skeptical, but I'm not terribly interested in owning a pair of headphones that are actually heavier than the PS-1. My goodness, these things must be tanks! But don't get me wrong, I love the PS-1 sound signature and can wear them for a CD or two without having them crush my skull. If the PS-1000 represent a sonic improvement (to my ears) over the already excellent PS-1, I'm sure I'll eventually own a pair.

It's nice to see these kinds of developments. I wonder what Audio Technica, Beyerdynamik, Sony and AKG have been up to lately!?!?

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #310 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's nice to see these kinds of developments. I wonder what Audio Technica, Beyerdynamik, Sony and AKG have been up to lately!?!?

Audio Technica has crafted a headphone with cups made of the purest hand blown glass with leather from the softest of baby cows and placed them in a crappy cardboard box with a photograph of a beach printed on it.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #311 of 941
I'm kind of confused. The last three pages of discussion make it sound like all the PS1000 is is a GS1000 driver in a metal GS1000 housing. I've seen no mention at all that this headphone has a GS1000 driver.

If that's the case, can someone please point it to me?

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #312 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of confused. The last three pages of discussion make it sound like all the PS1000 is is a GS1000 driver in a metal GS1000 housing. I've seen no mention at all that this headphone has a GS1000 driver.

I'm pretty sure it's a new model (meaning different drivers). I think it was some of the "the PS-1000 is nothing but a metal GS-1000 lookalike..." rant posts that threw you off.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #313 of 941
Seems that the driver is new, changed and improved, from GS1k or not, not sure, but changed and impvoved was stated. It could be PS1 driver as well. Also the cable seems to be thicker. I think its based on PS1 in the first place as I truly believe thats where GS1k are came from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #314 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yea they go to through the effort to use a "special processing method" yet they can't be bothered gluing driver enclosures to metal spokes properly, use excessive glue on drive mesh to glue a piece of cloth to an enclosure, have asymmetrical buttons, poorly finished wood etc etc.

At their price tag these better not have poor QC like most of Grado's line up
frown.gif

well the PS-1 was legit.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #315 of 941
screw it when headroom gets it in stock I will most likely buy it to test against the HD800's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back