*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #286 of 941
Also remember that for many, dynamic phones are no where near the top....that is reserved for electrostats (not my opinion but many feel this).

The Orpheus system was $15000, a Stax Omega II system with T2 amp was $8000. If we want to look at top priced dynamic phones... Sony R10's were $4000 and their Qualias were about $2500.

The top of the heap have often been very pricey. That said, it is still easier to live in headphone land than it is in the speaker world.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #287 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also remember that for many, dynamic phones are no where near the top....that is reserved for electrostats (not my opinion but many feel this).

The Orpheus system was $15000, a Stax Omega II system with T2 amp was $8000. If we want to look at top priced dynamic phones... Sony R10's were $4000 and their Qualias were about $2500.

The top of the heap have often been very pricey. That said, it is still easier to live in headphone land than it is in the speaker world.

Agreed. There have been those products outside the norm for headphone enthusiasts for a while now.

I sincerely hope that one-uping the competition doesn't mean that all manufactures flagship model escalates to prices comparable to new cars.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #288 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that there will always be headphones that anyone can afford.

I'm talking about the top-shelf models.

It wasn't so long ago that Grado's premium headphone was $695 and came with a gorgeous mahogany case.

Now there's a Grand added to the price of admission to the flagship. And the case is another $75.

My point was that soon, only the rich will be able to afford the high-end of headphone audio.

I think the PS1000 comes with the case, but anyways, I understand your point, but consider this, the only thing that makes better headphones is more and more research. Law of diminishing returns happens with research as well and the materials used will be ever more esoteric, the whole process spirals out into no mans land, but it is the only way to truly make a new evolutionary product. That said, I do think the PS1000's price is WAY higher than it should be. I would think $1200-1300 would be more than sufficient for what we see here. The HD800 is a completely new design and is only $1400 (lol only), whereas the PS1000 is a tweak of an old design.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #289 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that there will always be headphones that anyone can afford.

I'm talking about the top-shelf models.

It wasn't so long ago that Grado's premium headphone was $695 and came with a gorgeous mahogany case.

Now there's a Grand added to the price of admission to the flagship. And the case is another $75.

My point was that soon, only the rich will be able to afford the high-end of headphone audio.

I don't know about your standards and norms, but more than a decade, for me, is way beyond "not so long ago".

I also understand your frustration and disappointment with the price, but $1700 is hardly the territory for "the rich". For many people here, that's less than one weeks salary. When you start to compare it to home theater and 2-channel setups, it's absolutely positively cheap.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #291 of 941
This is a pretty interesting development. I'm curious if the RS1i is actually identical to the newer buttonless RS1 though.

Really, really not a fan of the round rods on all Grados though. The square rods are so much nicer for adjustment. I understand having fewer things to produce, but that's just kind of a bummer.

EDIT: And hey, if I buy a wood box, does my almost-vintage RS1 become true Vintage? If so... I just need to find all the other 10 year old green foam pink driver RS1s on the planet and I'll be RICH! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #292 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this announcement boring.

at least my PS1s won't go down in value. that is positive news.
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #293 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a pretty interesting development. I'm curious if the RS1i is actually identical to the newer buttonless RS1 though.

Really, really not a fan of the round rods on all Grados though. The square rods are so much nicer for adjustment. I understand having fewer things to produce, but that's just kind of a bummer.

EDIT: And hey, if I buy a wood box, does my almost-vintage RS1 become true Vintage? If so... I just need to find all the other 10 year old green foam pink driver RS1s on the planet and I'll be RICH! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just got a pair of button RS-1s and the difference in quality is definitely there. The headband has a thicker pad (and much nicer leather IMO). The square rods and buttons give the RS-1 a more raw, aesthetic look. Also, the square rods have a more solid construction to them- I almost feel as if Grado cheaped out on their $700 former flagship headphone by releasing the buttonless model.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #294 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Exactly. I just don't know why they didn't re-release the PS1 again. Oh well.

With the high price tag, I suspect Grado is struggling in these economic hard times.

So yes, vcoheda... very positive news...
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #295 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of button RS-1s and the difference in quality is definitely there. The headband has a thicker pad (and much nicer leather IMO). The square rods and buttons give the RS-1 a more raw, aesthetic look. Also, the square rods have a more solid construction to them- I almost feel as if Grado cheaped out on their $700 former flagship headphone by releasing the buttonless model.

The further back you go, the nicer the leather is. My 2005 pair wasn't padded, but my 1998 pair is much thicker leather with a lot of padding.

Also, the older sets have black metal rod ends on the square rods, instead of plastic.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #297 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Heh, you're right about that. I echo the sentiments above. Just re-release the PS-1.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #298 of 941
Quote:

Heh, you're right about that. I echo the sentiments above. Just re-release the PS-1.

Being limited edition was the best thing that could have happened to the PS1. They weren't exactly flying off shelves when they were in production.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #299 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being limited edition was the best thing that could have happened to the PS1. They weren't exactly flying off shelves when they were in production.

Were they distributed in the US?

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #300 of 941
Quote:

Were they distributed in the US?

TTVJ was allowed to sell a certain number of them per month, I think. I don't believe there was ever a waiting list, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back