Well my mind's not right! ...

Abel, c'mon! ...
Give me the keys man! ...
Everything has all gone down wrong ...
Abel c'mon! ...
Give me the keys, man ...
Everything has all gone down wrong ...
I see water on the bridge, ...
Well, you better hold my hand through this ...
Turn around, turn around, take me back, ...
I can't come down!
Turn around, turn around, take me back, ...
I can't come down!
My minds not right!
My minds not right!
My minds not right!
My minds not right!"

Sorry, just had to ...

wink.gif

Watch this vid and then you all will remember why we are all here (arguments aside) ...
[size=xx-large]
**SERIOUSLY, WATCH IT***[/size]

[size=x-large]The National - Abel[/size]

Best.
g.0.v.!!

"

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #828 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before quoting I would like to say, YES a nice post, finally, THANK YOU!!!

I applaud you for a nice full reply without any offenses, I hope we can argue this way further. However I do find it essential if you have heard the PS1 or not, just because it's such a big part of why the PS1000 would be special or not.

Hope you understand, even though my lack of english language, I won't ask you to reply in Dutch, Fremch, German or Spanish,

Cheers,

Victor

You know, every time this question is asked, an angel gets lupus.

To all a good night. Thanks for the goodwill.

--Bill

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #829 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was just horrible, I'm sorry man, very different kind of musical preferences.

YouTube - The General- Dispatch w/lyrics
biggrin.gif
now thats some fun lyrics
biggrin.gif

Agreed, just horrible, as was that. ^^^

But no worries. I won't bother to make an offering. There's no point really. As much as I might love what I might offer, someone else will surely hate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, every time this question is asked, an angel gets lupus.

To all a good night. Thanks for the goodwill.

--Bill

He did/didn't ever hear the PS-1 and it does/doesn't matter. I've heard/not heard them myself, so I know/don't know where he's coming from. It makes/doesn't make perfect/imperfect sense to me. Let's just leave it at that/keep arguing about it.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #830 of 941
If people don't like non-intimate Grado sounds, then certainly the GS-1000's is not for them. When I wrote about the GS-1000's, many asked, would I sell my RS-1's or PS-1's for the GS-1000's. I said no. I couldn't choose between any of them outright because, as is so true of headphones, I have the opportunity to have a few different presentations in my home without really breaking the bank. Try having a few sets of speakers in the house and it gets crowded, expensive and cumbersome. I'm still working on getting one set in my house
smily_headphones1.gif

With the mids more in line with the rest of the spectrum without any tube rolling, some of the intimacy is revisited. Also, I noticed that overall the Melos was the better amp, very much in line with the PS-1's and HP-1000's before it. This as opposed to the HP4 all tube design. My preference for a lusher sound for longer term listening has me clinging to the EAR. However, will a GS-1000 or PS-1000 ever sound like a RS-1 or PS-1? No. Were they designed to? No. If people don't like the new direction then sticking with the RS-1's or sourcing out PS-1's is the way to go for John's sound. If one wants Joe's sound they have to grab the HP-1000's for the ultimate experience.

The only other person we know who has heard them is Mercuttio and he was not all at all bowled over by the GS-1000's. Yet he did like the PS-1000's (though it was with an iPod, but hey, they sound good through an iPod!) As more people hear the PS-1000's no doubt it will be easier to gauge whether or not the headphones may or may not be worth it for them. Again, I write according to my experiences alone and given those experiences and my strong preference for Grado phones, over any other line of headphones, and the top Grados over any other top headphones I've heard (L3000, Omega II, HE60, R10) the PS-1000 does it best overall.

For those who are not after the ever elusive last few percents, something like the SR60 is more than enough. The first review I ever read of any headphone was a review over at goodcans.com comparing the RS-1's and SR60's. They praised the SR60's claiming they were nearly all that the RS-1's delivered at 1/10 the price. I read that and bought the SR60's ($144 Canadian at the time...while I was in undergrad, broke). Four years later, married and in grad school, I had the opportunity to get a pair of RS-1's. I told my wife: "these will be the very last pair of headphones I ever buy." A cool $600 CAD at the time. This was just a few months after Head-fi started. I had read everything at Headwize and thought I would take the plunge. They were compared very favourably against the best in the world and were said to be better than the R10's and Omega I's all the time, coming second only to the HE90, and even then the Big O could be matchbed or bested if the RS-1's were paired with the EAR HP4, Cary 300SEI or the Holmes Powell DCT line. Oh those were the days. Very simple hobby.

But it got worse. Vertigo-1 tracked down some HP-1000's and compared them to the HD600's and RS-1's and R10's and liked them a whole lot. People started to buy them up and compare. Then vintage RS-1's became the in thing... still ranking high against the beloved HP-1000's and R10's. Yet, enough people started buying the R10's that it became the king, but only for certain types of music and with certain amps. And the cycle continued and continues to this day, with perhaps the HD800 being the best dynamic ever made (and hopefully besting the HE90!). We have people selling off electrostats for a tricked out GS-1000 rig, we have people selling off R10's for tweaked Denons, and we have people dumping everything and buying Omega II's. Ultimately there is no best and if one builds the proper system around any phone, they will get incredible sound if the headphone is capable.

Regardless the point is that ultimately it is all based on taste, source material, upstream gear and priorities. The PS-1000's do it best for me but they come at a steep price. That price necessitates I sell stuff if I want a pair. I have to figure out what to sell to do that and 1700 = >$2k CAD, I have to sell a lot. Are they really worth the frustration of selling stuff? For me yes. For others the PS-1's will be enough, or the GS-1000's or the RS-1's or something lower down the line...225's or even the 60's. Are they good enough to give up the intimacy of the earlier Grados? Tough to say, I didn't have them long enough nor did I have to really ponder not having the RS-1's or PS-1's. Yet I already know I will never sell my RS-1's, so really, I'm never going to truly have to deal without one type of sound over another.

I do know that I will listen to the PS-1000's the most and they will be my immediate go to headphone. But my RS-1's will always have a place on my audio rack.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #831 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed reading your comments and have a question. What did you do to help break your pads in so you could start hearing what you were after?

Well what helped me is my larger head.
redface.gif

This is really an issue with all Grados and pads; it is dependent on the person as well. That is why even when using other Grados I used the bowls due to the fact that flats placed the driver way too close to my ears (even though most people liked flats).

I also rotated my pads so that the breaking down of them is even. After they are softned all the way around they dont need much rotating and pretty much are in a stready state now. Still took a long time even for me wearing them everyday, quite a few months. Some people with smaller heads might never reach this point with the big bowls.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #832 of 941
When I wear bowls, my ears usually fit inside them and my ears are even closer to the driver than with flats! I've had to tweak the bowls so that I can keep them on top of my ears distancing them so the highs don't bother me. Everyone has different issues with fit. I can't wear HD580/600/650 because they clamp so tightly that I get a serious headache after about 30 minutes. This happens to my wife too. I was never able to get past this and hence why I never went with the Sennheiser line of headphones.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #833 of 941
I just wanna slap some flats on the PS1000, hook it into a Melos, and have at some Beastie Boys. OH yeahhhhhhh.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #834 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanna slap some flats on the PS1000, hook it into a Melos, and have at some Beastie Boys. OH yeahhhhhhh.

OH CRAP. YOU EXIST!

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #836 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I wear bowls, my ears usually fit inside them and my ears are even closer to the driver than with flats! I've had to tweak the bowls so that I can keep them on top of my ears distancing them so the highs don't bother me. Everyone has different issues with fit. I can't wear HD580/600/650 because they clamp so tightly that I get a serious headache after about 30 minutes. This happens to my wife too. I was never able to get past this and hence why I never went with the Sennheiser line of headphones.

You know, I had the same problem. What I did was to bend the metal band which sticks out a bit from the plastic headband,. This way you can get them as loose as you want. Really easy to do. No more reason not to give Sennheiser another try. Note that the adjustment might not be so smooth afterwards, as the metal band is slightly bumby at the place it is bent.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #837 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beastie Boys...
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #840 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sennheiser clamp gave me headaches as well, but after logging many hours on my HD580/600, the headband & earpads developed a memory that perfectly conformed to shape of head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back