*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Mar 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #856 of 941
Nope, haven't heard nothing yet...

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #857 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if we are comparing the PS-1's vs. the PS-1000's because then one may be drawn to the intimate sound vs. the large presentation, but if we are going with GS-1000's vs. PS-1000's, there isn't an instance where the PS-1000's are inferior to them, in most cases are superior to them and when not superior then on par (sound stage for instance).

Considering the fact that Music_man likes the GS-1000 more than the PS-1, this might be more on par for him than an upgrade. While technically the PS-1000 might slightly improve on the GS-1000, it seems to have that PS-1 sound signature which is liquid, resolving (excessive bass which is taste dependent) but doesn't capture the dry warm timbre of the GS-1000/RS-1 which many prefer.

The same goes for the HD600/HD650. The HD650 was superior on the technical front. The midrange was more resolved, and the highs were less grating, but many still preferred the HD600 and thought they were better, because they didn't have that dark sound.

I guess I just wanted to point out that technical superiority doesn't mean "better". I prefer the K-1000 to the HE-90, but the HE-90 is the best headphone I've heard from a technical standpoint.

And just like you said, you listen to the RS-1 more than the PS-1 which clearly is a step back wards in ability, especially with flat pads (no sound stage, highs rolled off, and bass a bit sloppy, wonderful midrange). So, others may not always see the PS-1 as an upgrade to the RS-1. I know Mercuttio likes the RS-1 better for example.

I state all of this because I like the GS-1000 and PS-1, but my issue with the PS-1 outside of it's bass is that every recording sounded the same. It sounded PS-1 colored and glossed over in a way even though the detail was there in abundance. That really bothered my enjoyment. I don't get that with the GS-1000, RS-1.

Doesn't stop me from wanting to hear these suckers. I can't wait for my dealer to get a demo pair
smile_phones.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #859 of 941
I also prefer the RS1 to the PS1 in the brief listen I had of the PS1, however that is because the pro's of the PS1 didn't add up to its con's imo. However if a headphone would have the pro's of the PS1, and not the con's, then that would definetly be an improvement. You don't have to like the PS1 as a whole imo, but it has good traits that are sure nice to have in a headphone.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #860 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody recived their PS1000, shouldn't they have begun to ship them by now?

nothing as of yet, if i am to believe correctly i was one of the first people to secure an order for these via a retailer.

that retailer is letting me know as soon as they know that its there and ready to ship to me, about 5 days ago, i was informed this would likely fall within the next 1-2 weeks for what thats worth.

the wait goes on
popcorn.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #861 of 941
^^^The more Grado delays the release of the PS-1000, the more inline it comes with the release of the E8/HD 800. That's good, especially for comparisons sake...I'm looking forward to see what else is going to be released this year!

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #862 of 941
This will be a VERY exciting Spring/Summer. It will be very very reminiscent of the old days of Head-fi and the days of Headwize. Fun, enjoyable Senn vs. Grado debates. Senseless? Yes. Pointless? Yes. Fun as all heck? You betcha! I'm inclined to sell a kidney so I can get the HD800's and PS1000's and participate on both sides just for kicks
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #863 of 941
Quote:

I'm inclined to sell a kidney so I can get the HD800's and PS1000's and participate on both sides just for kicks
biggrin.gif

I might need that kidney (likely not for a few more years) but perhaps we should talk anyway.
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #864 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by crucial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might need that kidney (likely not for a few more years) but perhaps we should talk anyway.
gs1000.gif

Sounds good! Sadly, I'm not donor compatible for anyone in my immediate family, so....perhaps you can have mine! Just send me some PS-1000's, an HD800;s and since I rarely drink, never did drugs etc...my kidneys are top notch! So throw in the Big O and one is yours!

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #865 of 941
Yes, it will be interesting. New phones that are supposed to be the new top tier. It should be very enjoyable. Yesserrebob.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #866 of 941
Quote:

Sounds good! Sadly, I'm not donor compatible for anyone in my immediate family, so....perhaps you can have mine! Just send me some PS-1000's, an HD800;s and since I rarely drink, never did drugs etc...my kidneys are top notch! So throw in the Big O and one is yours!

It sounds like a deal and I do have the PS1000 & HD800 on order. Hopefully they will arrive before I need your kidney, but at this rate...

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #867 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it will be interesting. New phones that are supposed to be the new top tier. It should be very enjoyable. Yesserrebob.

Yeah, let the reviews flow in.
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #868 of 941
I just listened to Wintersleep's 2008 release on vinyl. 33 rpm, Ear HP4 + GS-1000. Seriously, this will be hard to beat. I had to stop using the PS-1's for this album because they couldn't keep up to the GS-1000's.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #869 of 941
Quote:

and since I rarely drink, never did drugs etc

Can I have your liver in that case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back