*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #406 of 941
No they are heavier than PS1, but they 'feel' lighter, because of the weight being better distributed around the head. Furthermore, a PS1 more in the direction of GS1000 is excellent, if it has the best of both trades, a PS1 with more reach, and soundstage/headstage, and the feeling of the RS1, yup I NEED one of these.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #407 of 941
I have always wanted a pair of Grados but the couple I tried, the 325 and something else, just didn't have the soundfield I like. Now these appear to get the "out of head" sound, and that would be fun.

I look forward to more impressions and comparisons.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #408 of 941
I have two pairs of Lambda Nova Sigs and matching T1 amps. They cost $900 and $1200 for each stat and amp set. Yes, it's tempting to order both of these phones (HD800/PS1000) and compare them to each other and to the Stats, and I hope I'm wrong; but to me, that electrostatic still represents the best sound. I don't care that they are 20 years old.

All of the phones I'm considering are now the same approximate same price (used 02's, PS1000 and HD800); it's the amp that will make it or break it, when it comes to decision time; as that's the part of the equation that is not yet solved.

02's seem to need a ridiculously expensive amp to thrive (unless I can find a 717); the jury's out on the two phones, and if they scale well (as they should); there's another $2-4K. In short, I need to hear these phones with their respective (top-tier) amps:
For the dynamics, the Luxman, the new ALO amp, a Beta 22 and perhaps a Zana or Expereince1. For the stats it's a 717 (which I have never heard) the GES maxed, or something more powerful from Woo, or the A-10 or KGBH ... a waiting game which I do not want to play in this economy. And with two new flagships to build amps for, will these boutique builders put electrostatic amps on the back burner, all very good questions.

I will say that both Grado and Senn have appeared to fixed a lot of things, and most important, comfort seems greatly improved (the one thing I liked about the GS1000 was the comfort ...big step forward for the Grados, and if Senn got rid of their clamp, that too is a major factor.)

Be sure that Stax's R&D/marketing is watching this impending battle between PS1000 and HD800 very closely, as the 02 market share may be impacted. One can only imagine what they have up their sleeves.

If I've said a lot but really said nothing, then what I'm really trying to say is: hurry up and wait.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #409 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always wanted a pair of Grados but the couple I tried, the 325 and something else, just didn't have the soundfield I like. Now these appear to get the "out of head" sound, and that would be fun.

I look forward to more impressions and comparisons.

Well if the GS1000 is any indication, then I'd expect the sound stage to be gigantor.

That and the bass is what I really like about the GS1k's ...

The mids, however, on the GS1k's ... are not what I was expecting and will eventually be the reason I investigate the PS1k ... with my RS1's out of the house, the Gs1K's are right nice ... but once I put the Rs1's on again ... I realized the midrange is what I most love about Grados ...

GS1k just ever so slightly misses in that department but I could sure live with them if I had too.

wink.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #410 of 941
I don't think that we should underestimate the needs of the PS-1000 for an amp either. Zanth, on what amp did you try them?

And I also have a LNS coming my way, should be here this week
biggrin.gif
!

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #411 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the new GS-1000i gets new drivers I would be very interested to get a comparative review with PS-1000. Maybe the difference won't be as big as Zanth found with current GS-1000 on his review (PS-1000 = more forward mids and less agressive highs).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new GS1000i drivers are those from the famed prototypes. That would be swell.
L3000.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #412 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I wouldn't own an O2, HE60 system if they were $500 these days after my GS1000 system.

Here is what I really think about them...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sim...ghlight=gs1000

Also addresses a way to help the mid-range issue with the GS1000's.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Is it that you like the GS1000? If so, great. I can't stand that headphone. But of course to each his/her own.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #413 of 941
Smart move on Grado's part updating the entire line and making a new flagship.

Sales are down? Update the line and get people to buy our headphones again!

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #414 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I understand your point. Is it that you like the GS1000? If so, great. I can't stand that headphone. But of course to each his/her own.

Stats (and really the "legendary" headphones in general) are overhyped and ya I've owned a Stax O2 system for over 2 years.
I wouldn't own one anymore if it they were $500 after I got the GS1000 to do what it can do now.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #419 of 941
Euhm.. yes it is. Anyway good question, I don't know.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #420 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stats (and really the "legendary" headphones in general) are overhyped and ya I've owned a Stax O2 system for over 2 years.
I wouldn't own one anymore if it they were $500 after I got the GS1000 to do what it can do now.

Just shows why this is a great community; so many different ears. I think that the O2 blows the GS1K out of the water in almost every way. My favorite Grados would either be the HF-1 or the PS-1, but I would never take them over a stat. Regardless, I hope this offering from Grado turns out well. It's great to see the continued attention to high-end dynamic phones, which benefits all of us. Now if we could just do something about the prices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back