Comprehensive Progress! FiiO Portable Desktop-Class Player M17 Is Officially Released!
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #31 of 75
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #32 of 75
I don't trust Chinese reviewers like i don't trust reviewers from Singapore.

I know a few audiophile from China and Singapore and for them, more expensive is always better, no question what. The more expensive an product is, the better it sounds.

Especially in countries where the majority of people is poor, if you're rich enough to purchase such products, it is a status symbol and so the more expensive it is, the better it has to be.

To my experience (and yes, i know, oversimplification), they will always tell that the more expensive gear is the better gear. "It does have more power but sounds the same" would be not acceptable to them.

There are sometimes even conflicts where they start arguing with the people who developed and made the device because they don't accept whatever they think they are able to hear.

I remember some interviews from the Sony Team (sadly i no longer remember the country, i think it was singapore) where people in the audience started arguing with the leader of the Walkman team about things they think they are able to hear and the leader from the Walkman team just said "We are sorry to tell you, that these differences don't exist. There are differences in other sectors, but not in the ones you mentioned". I think it was about changing the region code on the WM1Z but i'm not totally sure anymore. I just found it funny that people in the audience argue with the Developer of the device, as if he didn't knew what he made and needs to be told.

And still there are people who insist and are 100% sure that every country gets its own sound signature and depending on the region code you set the device to, the sound is different.

I know that THX Certified devices do need to have the specific THX Sound, that is why THX sells the Amp as a Module and not a single Chip and you have to implement it exactly the way THX tells you too.

So they will always sound the same, that is the whole reason behind the certification system. That you know "I will always get the best sound when an device says THX Certified, no matter which brand or product type".

I am pretty sure that FiiO is legally not allowed to have a different sound on the M17 and they don't want to. THX AAA Amps provide the highest sound quality that exists right now, why should they even think about changing them just because it is not to the personal taste of some people?

FiiO does never at any place advertise the M17 as having the better sound. Their advertisement is totally focused on how much power it outputs and that it is able to replace an Desktop Amp.

And i think this is exactly the reason to buy an M17 and the difference to the M11 Plus LTD. 3000mW vs. 588mW.

You need 3000mW? You need M17. You don't need 3000mW? You don't need M17.

The M17 will have perfect sound quality, exactly like the M11 Plus LTD already does have perfect sound quality. Buy the M15 or other brands if you want something that is different.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #33 of 75
Fab! My M17 is arriving tomorrow! Cannot wait! This will be a fascinating listen.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 75
I don't trust Chinese reviewers like i don't trust reviewers from Singapore.

I know a few audiophile from China and Singapore and for them, more expensive is always better, no question what. The more expensive an product is, the better it sounds.

Especially in countries where the majority of people is poor, if you're rich enough to purchase such products, it is a status symbol and so the more expensive it is, the better it has to be.

To my experience (and yes, i know, oversimplification), they will always tell that the more expensive gear is the better gear. "It does have more power but sounds the same" would be not acceptable to them.

There are sometimes even conflicts where they start arguing with the people who developed and made the device because they don't accept whatever they think they are able to hear.

I remember some interviews from the Sony Team (sadly i no longer remember the country, i think it was singapore) where people in the audience started arguing with the leader of the Walkman team about things they think they are able to hear and the leader from the Walkman team just said "We are sorry to tell you, that these differences don't exist. There are differences in other sectors, but not in the ones you mentioned". I think it was about changing the region code on the WM1Z but i'm not totally sure anymore. I just found it funny that people in the audience argue with the Developer of the device, as if he didn't knew what he made and needs to be told.

And still there are people who insist and are 100% sure that every country gets its own sound signature and depending on the region code you set the device to, the sound is different.

I know that THX Certified devices do need to have the specific THX Sound, that is why THX sells the Amp as a Module and not a single Chip and you have to implement it exactly the way THX tells you too.

So they will always sound the same, that is the whole reason behind the certification system. That you know "I will always get the best sound when an device says THX Certified, no matter which brand or product type".

I am pretty sure that FiiO is legally not allowed to have a different sound on the M17 and they don't want to. THX AAA Amps provide the highest sound quality that exists right now, why should they even think about changing them just because it is not to the personal taste of some people?

FiiO does never at any place advertise the M17 as having the better sound. Their advertisement is totally focused on how much power it outputs and that it is able to replace an Desktop Amp.

And i think this is exactly the reason to buy an M17 and the difference to the M11 Plus LTD. 3000mW vs. 588mW.

You need 3000mW? You need M17. You don't need 3000mW? You don't need M17.

The M17 will have perfect sound quality, exactly like the M11 Plus LTD already does have perfect sound quality. Buy the M15 or other brands if you want something that is different.

And on https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...200mah-battery-2-volume-control-modes.954441/:
As is also being discussed on the ”sister“ M17 thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/com...ass-player-m17-is-officially-released.960795/, the most important question is ”how does it sound?“.

I believe that in a DAP or DAC/AMP combo, the ordering of influencing factors is:
1. The AMP design and implementation
2. The DAC implementation
3. The pure characteristics of the DAC itself
(in decreasing order)

Thus, I should like to ask:
a. How does a THX module typically sound?
b. How close to that is the M17 sounding?

I should like to mention here that in the a.m. sister thread several comrades voiced their reservations against the THX house sound. They state it is very neutral and transparent, but has a tendency towards being boring. In one word, they say it is ”just not musical“. On the other hand, it seems like at least some of them if not all haven‘t heard an M17 yet; they go by analogy to THX in general - even more, they say the ”THX certification“ requires a THX implementation being exactly that way.

So, I am asking what you can say wrt my question a, and eventually also b.
While @Vamp898 was writing his post here, I asked my question on the other thread. Just to let you know. Cross-posting being created by FiiO themselves.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #35 of 75
This could be the only new DAP that's "direct" competition to iBasso's DX300 MAX. Both are portable desktop-grade DAPs, but they have their differences.

Btw, iBasso's DX300 MAX has a total of 9800 mAh (6200 mAh for the digital section, 900 mAh for the analog section)

I must say, Fiio's M17 looks pretty neat. It has a bit of that Astell & Kern aesthetic :wink: I like it!

I'm eager to hear how people rate its sound performance
And the shangling m30

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #36 of 75
And the shangling m30
I'd say Shanling's M30 is fair competition, but in no way or form is that thing portable. Maybe, just maybe, it could be considered "portable" since it has a book-like form, but not overly confident about that.

Otherwise, it is a pretty neat!

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #37 of 75
I'd say Shanling's M30 is fair competition, but in no way or form is that thing portable. Maybe, just maybe, it could be considered "portable" since it has a book-like form, but not overly confident about that.

Otherwise, it is a pretty neat!
It is as portable as the DMP-Z1 is portable^^

The only disadvantage are the stares from the others.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #38 of 75
It is as portable as the DMP-Z1 is portable^^

The only disadvantage are the stares from the others.
I genuinely think you could rock the DMP-Z1 as a chain. You'd be the coolest-looking dude in the city, and would look like you came back from the future!

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #42 of 75
It can drive the same Headphones as an Desktop Amp can drive.

It's an 3000mW Desktop Amp
But 3000mW is limited really. The Cayin C9 is 4100mW and I wouldn't pair it with anything beyond 300ohms. The BX2 Plus is even higher at 5900mW but that couldn't really handle a 600ohm pair of Beyerdynamics.

I'm interested in the M17 myself, but it would seem suited only to a certain range of headphones.

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #44 of 75
But 3000mW is limited really. The Cayin C9 is 4100mW and I wouldn't pair it with anything beyond 300ohms. The BX2 Plus is even higher at 5900mW but that couldn't really handle a 600ohm pair of Beyerdynamics.

I'm interested in the M17 myself, but it would seem suited only to a certain range of headphones.
My 250mW @16Ω WM1Z could handle the 300Ω Sennheiser HD820 without any issues, even on low gain (which is like 60mW?!?)

My TA-ZH1ES (1200mW @32Ω) was loud enough to make me deaf with them.

I don't understand why some Headphones need so much power, really. Im starting to think that they just built gigantic resistors inside them because people then think they will sound better.

My MDR-Z1R does have 64Ω and can be driven by a smartphone with its gigantic 70mm Drivers and the worlds biggest magnet(!)

What is wrong with the overear headphone world?

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #45 of 75
much more portable and has AKM chip... haven't tried it... i'm satisfied with my Cayin N6ii with R2R motherboard
They are two different devices. It is not just about the size and not everybody values the portability as the prime aspect. Other than the size and the power:

- M17 has dual USB ports and an external disk (flash disk or a harddisk) can be used while charging the device.
- Can act as a DAC from the coax _input_ (which no other DAP has).
- Shanling has horrible software and support (had the M30, gave up after two months of a basic issue not being fixed)
- The amplifier can be powered by an external power source.
- It is not the DAC, it is the implementation.

Maybe some others I forgot. I am a full sized HP user mostly listening while at my desk, so for my use case M17 is much more suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back