Comprehensive Progress! FiiO Portable Desktop-Class Player M17 Is Officially Released!
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #61 of 75
With it being Android, you are effectively limiting it's OS's upgradability in the future. Also, non-Android DAP's having lower EMI typically, so a cleaner sound. Software aside, this thing... like 95% of all of the other DAP's, are huge bricks. Portability.... hah, maybe in a backpack. I do like the sheer number of outputs and inputs, but again... huge. Also curious to see how hot it runs mobile if it comes with that huge fan dock.

True. With those two options, you are forced with Android unfortunately. I prefer my DAP without both.
Huh? Most DAPs with custom OS never see any update at all. The last update of the WM1Z was 2018 and it will most likely never see any again. A custom OS actually lowers the chance for updates.

Also, non-Android DAP's having lower EMI typically
Almost all Sony Walkman run with Android (X1000, Z1000, ZX1, ZX2, ZX507 and the WM1 successor) and FiiO DAPs also since a long time.

And they don't have issues with EMI, but there are Custom OS DAPs who have that. So I think that can't be generalized

Portability.... hah, maybe in a backpack. I do like the sheer number of outputs and inputs, but again... huge. Also curious to see how hot it runs mobile if it comes with that huge fan dock.
It's as portable as an notebook. Of course an smartphone does have higher portability, but a desktop has less. Like a notebook sits between smartphone and desktop, the M17 sits between the K9 Pro and the M11 Plus.

"You don't order a steak and complain it's not an salad" - Crinacle

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #62 of 75
No aptx Lossless with this firmware obviously as the codec hasn't been released to market yet but will this be a feature upgrade with future firmware revisions?

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #63 of 75
Huh? Most DAPs with custom OS never see any update at all. The last update of the WM1Z was 2018 and it will most likely never see any again. A custom OS actually lowers the chance for updates.
Yes, I see you have every Sony DAP out there. There are other manufacturer's out there. Lotoo puts out firmware updates, they just had one over the summer for their LPGT and also put out firmware updates for their other offerings every once in awhile, definitely not release and forget about it IMO. L&P put out firmware updates as well for theirs.

I had the ZX507 briefly, and even with an older Android OS, it ran slow and noticeably jittery with some applications. So, 10 years from now... good luck running a current 3rd party software on it even if the hardware and software should allow it from an engineering and software design standpoint. This is what I am trying to get across. Sorry.

It's as portable as an notebook. Of course an smartphone does have higher portability, but a desktop has less. Like a notebook sits between smartphone and desktop, the M17 sits between the K9 Pro and the M11 Plus.
So, you are saying the M17 is not a standalone electronic, you need a M11 or similar? Is that true? This does not seem right.

Nice quote.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #64 of 75
No aptx Lossless with this firmware obviously as the codec hasn't been released to market yet but will this be a feature upgrade with future firmware revisions?
I think nobody can say that for sure. But LDAC can transmit Audio CD Quality lossless, you can just use that.

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #65 of 75
@qua2k
Yes, I see you have every Sony DAP out there.
Actually not, i just sold the ZX300 yesturday and the ZX507 today. The WM1A belongs to my girlfriend, i just have access to it, but it doesn't technically belong to me. Im going to update my sig later.

So i only own the WM1Z and the M11 Plus LTD

I had the ZX507 briefly, and even with an older Android OS, it ran slow and noticeably jittery with some applications. So, 15 years from now... good luck running a current 3rd party software on it even if the hardware and software should allow it from an engineering and software design standpoint. This is what I am trying to get across. Sorry.
So your complain is that the 3rd Party Software that does not run on custom OS, does not run fluent enough on a Android DAP and that is why you don't want Android DAP because then... the 3rd Party Software doesn't work at all? I don't get it tbh.

I only used 3rd party software to download music on the ZX507 and it worked flawless.

So, you are saying the M17 is not a standalone electronic, you need a M11 or similar? Is that true? This does not seem right.
That totally depends on your personal needs. The M17 is what it is. You don't buy a Ferrari and complain it can't carry heavy loads. You don't buy a Truck and complain it can't compete on a racetrack.
If you need to win the Formula 1, get a Formula 1 Car. If you need to carry heavy loads, get a truck.

I don't see the issue here. You complain that a Truck doesn't win you a race, i get it, but why care about a truck then if you don't need one?

If you don't need an 3000mW Portable Desktop Amp, don't buy an 3000mW Portable Desktop Amp. Buy a normal DAP like, for example, the M11 Plus LTD.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #72 of 75
It looks goergous, I just don't know if I'll convince myself to buy another FiiO product as my Q5S won't stop cutting in and out with micro-usb to usb-c to my laptop :frowning2:
Dear friend,

Please try to use another cable and reset the Q5s by poking the reset pole to see whether it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #74 of 75
Better late than never...this week's last article on Headfonia is about the Fiio M17. For us this is the very best Fiio DAP so far, and we're giving it our Recommended Buy Award!

Full article here: https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-m17-review/

chrome_2022-11-10_08-35-20.png

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #75 of 75

Almost all Sony Walkman run with Android (X1000, Z1000, ZX1, ZX2, ZX507 and the WM1 successor) and FiiO DAPs also since a long time.

And they don't have issues with EMI, but there are Custom OS DAPs who have that. So I think that can't be generalized

I will say that Questyle, with all their shenanigans over the years, have provided updates for their rudimentary OS from the QP1R, QP2R and QP Master series..so this is not always the case with all manufacturers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back