[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #811 of 5,692
The Story of FiiO M17-From @JamesFiiO

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 1 Why does FiiO make a portable desktop-class player like M17?

Three years ago, many users felt very satisfied after they tried the THX (AM3D) on X7/X7II. In Japan, due to the limited quantity of the THX module for Q5/X7/X7II, the second-hand price even ramped up to 3 times the original price. We can see the popularity of the THX.

Therefore, after the FiiO M11 went on the market, many users hoped that we could also make a M11 with THX amplifier. Since the M11 did not adopt a modular design, we thus launched an M11 Pro equipped with THX amp.

Not surprisingly, it was also a success after its launch, and was loved and praised by numerous audiophiles. The combination of the normal version and the Pro version did meet various needs of users. Of course, this is also the same strategy of many digital products manufactures used. For example, almost all mobile phones now have different versions such as pro/ max.

Therefore, after the release of M15, many users hoped that we could launch the M15 Pro version equipped with THX amp on the basis of M15 too.

However, due to the high output power of the M15, it has far exceeded the THX78 used by the M11 Pro. To stand out, it is necessary to choose a THX module with a higher output. Otherwise, it becomes a M15 downgraded version.

In light of these, we’d best to break all the restrictions and just use the THX788, the desktop-class one in THX series. Then the output is high enough to widen the gap with M11 pro. However, the small package of the M15 would fail to meet our need in this case. Since the high output calls for demanding requirements on heat dissipation and the battery capacity. Under this circumstance, we have no other choice but to increase the size and weight. So we redesign the ID, and we finally choose the tough style that more people love because we don’t need to consider the hand feel.

However, the model has become M17 instead of M15 Pro. This is because we generally keep the original name and add a suffix only when the appearance of two devices are similar.

Besides, with the emergence of some large volume players, it can be said that a market segment has been created out of nothing, which I name "mobile players". This type of products, on the plus side, the sound quality is better than the portable players and is more convenient than the desktop one. On the downside, its sound quality is worse than that of a desktop player, and it is too heavy to be portable.

Therefore, considering the commercial value of our medium- and low-end music players and the large amount of money we invested in the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660, it is meaningful to make a high-end music player although there are many uncertainties. Of course, we still hope to keep the size and weight of this player within the limit of a portable player. Therefore, in terms of volume and weight, M17 is estimated to be the ceiling of our M series.

Finally, M17 is actually part of FiiO’s strategy of brand building. In the past few years, the most successful brand in China should be Huawei. It has grown from unknown to a high-end brand that keeps pace with Samsung and Apple, and is widely recognized by consumers all over the world. It is not easy at all. Though Xiaomi/OPPO/VIVO are trying hard to copy the success of Huawei, they failed. I think one thing is obvious, that is, through the continuous evolution of Huawei's Mate series with the price risen slightly for each model, and after the few years, it has become a high-end serious of Huawei.

For FiiO, we have been following this strategy too. X7 can be seen as considered a success, breaking the ceiling of 600USD. M15 is another breakthrough, which we succeeded in entering the level of 1300USD. However, as a pioneer among the Chinese HIFI brands, FiiO does need a 1500USD-class device to further enhance the brand.

Therefore, we can say that it is user needs, market competition, and company's development that have prompted us to invest lots of manpower and resources to develop the M17.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 10, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #812 of 5,692

Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-of-fiio-m17-from-fiio-james.960565/

Chapter 1 Why does FiiO make a portable desktop-class player like M17?

...M15 is another breakthrough, which we succeeded in entering the level of 1300USD. However, as a pioneer among the Chinese HIFI brands, FiiO does need a 1500USD-class device to further enhance the brand.

Therefore, we can say that it is user needs, market competition, and company's development that have prompted us to invest lots of manpower and resources to develop the M17.
@FiiO - that was a very informative post, and I appreciate the background information translated for us here in the English speaking world, it is much clearer to understand than trying to use Google Translate on your posts on Chinese websites. It would be great if @FiiO can continue to translate your posts here in English, Thank you! :)
Also, I am hopeful that improving conditions allow FiiO to continue bring the M17 pricing closer to that $1500USD level. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #813 of 5,692
1636615869393.png

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #814 of 5,692
https://www.loxpo.com/article-7716-1.html

(DeepL translation.)

In less than a year, the company has been releasing new products almost non-stop, including the K9 PRO, the FDX/FD7 and the UTWS5, which have quickly gained a reputation among users. In terms of portable players, the M11 Plus LTD has only just been released for a short time, and here comes the M17.

The M17 is said to have originally been a THX version of the M15 and deserved to be given the same M15 PRO name as the M11 PRO. But since the THX AAA-78 solution used in the M11 PRO had a lower output power than the M15's own headphone module, replacing the AAA-78 with the M15 was afraid that it would only be called the M15s. The battery and heat dissipation had to be changed to match the M15.

After a series of "magic changes" to the M15, the M17 has dual ES9038PRO, dual THX AAA788+, dual battery and DC power supply modules, dual USB-C ports, 9200mAh battery and other features that are unbelievable for a portable player, along with a rapid increase in weight and size. The M17 is already barely big enough to be held with one hand and weighs over a pound, making it a little hard to squeeze without a holster. This is why the M17 is no longer a portable player, but a portable desktop player.

When you think about it, both the portable desktop and the portable player are in fact similar in terms of usage. Even the M11 PRO, which has a good one-handed grip, is almost exclusively used at home, in the office or on long journeys. The M17 is about 1/3 the weight of a laptop or the weight of a micro-single camera, so it doesn't add too much weight to your backpack, and in return you can enjoy the sound quality of a Hi-Fi desktop at your destination.

Exterior design

The back of the M17 features the same diamond-like cut texture as the M11 Plus LTD, with different areas having different reflection angles, creating a strong three-dimensional look when the light hits them.

The sides of the camera also follow the sixth generation of the FiiO honeycomb shape.

Both sides are equipped with physical buttons and a new RGB ambient light. The ambient light can be configured within the system in terms of colour, brightness and flashing mode (constant or breathing). However, it is recommended that future models are designed with a more comfortable grip area in the upper part of the body to avoid unnecessary mis-touching.

Due to the thicker body, more ports and larger knobs can be arranged at the top and bottom. In addition to the usual 2.5/3.5/4.4mm connector, there is also a 6.35mm connector. To avoid dust ingress, a dust plug is also pre-set at the factory.

There are two USB-C ports on the bottom, one of which is USB 3.0 for charging and high-speed data transfer, and the other USB 2.0 port, which supports USB Host output for an external decoder or mobile hard drive. Hidden under the dust plug is the DC power connector and the standard RCA coaxial connector.

There is also an RGB ambient light at the bottom of the volume knob, again configurable within the system.

Configurations & Features

The M17 uses the dual THX AAA-788+ solution developed jointly with THX, with an output power of up to 3000mW per channel, which can easily drive most headphones on the market. This is the most "desktop" aspect of the M17.

The M17 is also the first model to switch DACs after the AKM chip went out of supply. The new model uses two ES9038PROs, the top of the range in the ESS, which have superior resolution and reproduction. In fact, the ESS DAC was used in the previous flagship model, the X7, and performed quite well.

The M17 offers four gain modes in the conventional battery-powered mode, with an additional loudspeaker mode in addition to the traditional low, medium and high gain.

When DC power is connected, a hidden "Super Loud Ear Mode" is triggered and an egg reminder pops up on the screen.

At this point the gain selection screen allows you to select the Super Loud mode, which brings out the full power of the M17. But it also brings with it a greater amount of heat.

FiiO has gone to great lengths to dissipate the heat well in such a small size. First of all the body is hollowed out from a single piece of aluminium, contributing 151 grams to the weight of the M17 alone. The metal has excellent thermal conductivity, so that the heat generated inside the unit can be transferred to the outside very quickly. A special air vent has been reserved for the ambient light on the side. The leather case that comes with the case has a metal cut-out on the back and is kept at a distance from the back cover.

For optimal cooling, an air-cooled cooling bracket is also included with the case. The parts that are based on the body are covered with silicone pads, which protect the body well. It is also heavy and can be tiring to hold and operate for a long time, so there is no need to pick up the unit to operate it. There are two wind speeds that can be adjusted and an external USB power supply is required.

The SOC is the same Qualcomm Snapdragon SDM660/4G/64G as the M11 Plus LTD; 5.9" incell Full HD 18:9 display; 9200mAh battery capacity, supports QC/PD fast charging protocol, 80% charge in 2 hours, full in 4.5 hours; Bluetooth is the flagship QCC5124 core, Bluetooth 5.0 It supports the latest protocols such as LDAC and aptX-Adaptive.

Listening experience

The M17, known as a portable desktop, shows its distinctive strength right from the opening sound. With the powerful drive, the soundstage was pushed wide open and all kinds of previously unnoticed sound details were well represented. Thanks to the THX, the sound is more balanced, the background is darker and the music is more finally original.

The replacement of the AKM by the ESS also brings some subtle changes in sound style. The M17 with the ES9038PRO is a little more subtle and warm compared to models such as the M15 and M11PRO. For example, the overtones of strings and drums, which are not clearly reproduced on the M15, can be easily reproduced on the M17. In addition, the M17 has a very precise soundstage positioning and outstanding dynamics, making it suitable for listening to symphonies of all sizes, where the position, intensity and information of each group of instruments can be accurately expressed. The powerful dynamic range allows orchestral music to be played in unison in a way that will get the listener's blood pumping. Conventional sonic balance and other performance is never a concern with the THX certification.

Thanks to its powerful thrust and neutral sound, the M17 is not fussy when it comes to pairing. All kinds of headphones and earbuds can show their unique charm under the M17's drive. When paired with dynamic earbuds of strong all-round quality like the FD7, the mid-gain allows the FD7 to fire on all cylinders. The low frequencies have plenty of volume, dive deep enough, transients are excellent and not mushy, the dynamic range is powerful and the resolution is superb. During piano solos, you can hear the keys touching the keyboard frame, which is very immersive. The performance is very good for pop vocals, ACG and symphonic. The newest dynamic iron earbuds, the FA7S, are easier to drive, delivering brighter high frequencies and a slightly weaker sound density.

Listening supplement, from Vertigo Reflections

Compared to the average portable player, the M17 has an absolute knockout punch in terms of thrust and dynamics, and is not the "loud and powerful" type, driving both low-resistance, high-sensitivity and high-resistance headphones quite well.

The M17 can drive flagship dynamic headphones such as the FDX, FD7, PK1 and IE900 with fantastic results, because the thrust is greater, the sound field of these headphones will be better reproduced, the distance is more open, the distance between the instrumental music will be more open, but does not sacrifice the sense of density, and large dynamics, in the big scene reproduction, the momentum is better, the sense of presence is stronger, can restore the contrast between the strength and weakness of the large compilation of classical music, the contrast between motion and static higher.

For FA7s such as low impedance and high sensitivity moving iron plugs, M17 only need to turn on the low or medium gain can be handled, the bottom noise is basically inaudible, the sense of sound density is moderate, the extension of the two ends is also good, the very low frequency dive deep, abundant volume, strong sense of envelopment, while the very high frequency is not hairy, smooth and transparent, the tone to ensure a good sense of transparency at the same time, but also to "smooth out The sound is "smoothed out" while maintaining a good sense of transparency, making it more listenable overall.

In terms of big headphones, FiiO officially says that "if you don't consider the sound match, the M17 desktop model is sufficient to drive the HD800", although I do have HD800s, but lent them to lomo fat paper, so about the "truth" of this statement, just See his review.

I took out the DT880 600 Euros, one of the three ancient gods of fantasy, and the result is a bit of a struggle, the dynamics and extension at both ends are fine, but compared to a real desktop machine, it is still a bit less powerful and imposing, but of course with these headphones is obviously difficult for the M17, after all, this pair of headphones need desktop amplifiers are several times the price of its own. (I actually have a K1000 that I use exclusively for "jacking up", heh heh heh)

The M17 actually drives the new generation of big ears like the Z1R and HD660s very well, with a soundstage, extension at both ends, dynamics and momentum that are as good as those of real desktop machines, and with THX certification that brings out their own sonic characteristics.

For those who have bought M17s and want to buy M17s, I suggest you consider acquiring one or two classic big headphones to go with them, including K701s and HD600s, which are vintage flagships that can also be considered. The sound of headphones and earbuds is completely different in terms of sense of scale, and the price of these headphones is not so inflated, and the sound-to-price ratio is even higher when used together with M17s.

Summing up

The M17 should be the perfect summary of the FiiO portable player series in recent years. Whether it is the drive, dynamics, sound quality and timbre, it has a significant downgrade compared to its own or friendly products. Fi advanced equipment is more practical.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #815 of 5,692
https://tiebac.baidu.com/p/7607355737?pn=1

(DeepL translation.)

In life, I am always working hard on my own towards my own expectations, I can achieve my own goals, even if I am not late for work today, I will have a slight sense of achievement, and so will most of the people around me. As a consumer in the information age, there are so many needs that you can't accomplish on your own, such as listening to sound. My expectations for a portable player are actually quite retro, that is, I want a product that can achieve the sound performance of the portable desk machine originally envisioned by NBR 10 years ago, and the operation can keep up with the streaming media era. With the recent release of the M17, I was able to fulfill my dream.

The M17 has a smooth operating system, a clock management system with femtosecond crystals, good support for network playback (including DLNA, airplay, etc.), good Bluetooth support, and a shielded thermal power supply system. I'll start sharing my experience with it slowly below. The text that follows will be long and I will share it by module, just read the parts that interest you.

Appearance Operation

The M17 is user friendly in that there is no holster text, which is good news for those who are too lazy to write reviews. It comes with a DC adapter, leather holster, and fan dock, so once you open the box you have everything you need to get the full experience of the M17.

The overall shape of the M17 looks more like a computer case to me, although it is officially advertised as a mech style, the ambient lighting on the side and the thickness always gives me a feeling of an ITX case. In fact the M17 is ok in size, it is mainly the thickness of the body that affects the impression, I personally don't find it large and I have no problem holding and operating it with one hand. So if you say you classify it as a portable device, this thickness doesn't look like it, but the size of the M17 doesn't qualify it as a mobile device either, and this classification depends on the size size that the user accepts for themselves.

The ambient lights on the bezel and volume knob are a great feature of the M17, with 12 RGB lights giving the M17 a sci-fi inspired atmosphere. The light mode can be set by yourself as the default colour or to follow the code rate change, and the colour will also change at different operating modes, and can be turned off in the settings if you don't like the change. The M17 has a larger and more recognisable light area, so I keep it on all the time, and when the screen is rested and stopped, the light is turned off, so it doesn't waste power. Without the screen on, it's very intuitive to see what's going on with the player, which I find both aesthetically pleasing and practical, and if there's one thing I'd like, it would be more personalised if I could adjust the RGB colour scheme myself, like the dazzling colours on my PC.

On the front is a 5.99" 1080p display and on the top are the four headphone jacks (6.35/4.4/3.5/2.5) and the volume knob (potentiometer, which cannot be turned 360 degrees). On the left are up and down tunes, play pause and customise, on the right is the switch and volume up and down. Above the ambient light is a switch on the left and right, on the left is HOLD lock (lock range can be set in settings) and on the right is a battery/DC toggle switch. At the bottom are two USB ports, one for charging +3.0 and one for HOST (which can output 5V2A) for external hard drives, not impossible to use as a rechargeable battery; on the left is the DC port and on the right is the coaxial port. In order to prevent dust from getting into the ports that are not often used and to keep the whole machine simple, Fei Ao has three aluminium dust plugs for the 6.35, DC power and coaxial ports.

The M17 does not have as many volume adjustments as the M11PLUS, but it is more retro. The knob on the top (with the same ADC control as the M15) and the buttons on the right can be adjusted in one of two ways (both offer 120 levels of volume adjustment). If the system volume doesn't match the knob, it's easier to turn the volume knob to the minimum and adjust it again.

The leather case, which is a standard accessory, does not fit snugly on the M17, but has a clear space on the side.

Android is a traditional strength of Fei Ao, and its smoothness is very well optimised. The operation of the phone varies from person to person, but it will definitely not be as good as the original M15/M11PLUS. Since the keys are more on the upper side and there is no obvious difference between the keys and the leather case (the bare play button has a recognition point), it is possible to operate it in the left area by mistake.

Circuit design

The M17's circuit board is highly modular, which I personally think is a great example of player refinement these days. The digital and audio boards are independent, somewhat like a motherboard with a good frame, and the individual modules are then mounted on the motherboard with a high degree of functional differentiation and thermal and shielding considerations. This is coupled with a sunken gold circuit board process to ensure basic electrical performance, a white copper shield to prevent internal radiation interference and, for the first time in a player, a VC liquid cooling homogeniser to ensure heat dissipation, ensuring performance from all angles.

On the front of the system board is the core board (Snapdragon 660, 4G memory, 64G RAM and power supply chip) and the Bluetooth communication board (QCC5124). On the back is the XMOS (XUF208) interface and the DSP module consisting of the FPGA plus two femtosecond crystal oscillators. The system board integrates the parts for digital processing and the reading and receiving side of the data are also on the system board, unifying the clock management for the data sources, this integration is necessary from a shielding point of view.

The audio version is mainly a power supply circuit, with a super power supply capacitor on the front and an LDO on the back to provide a stable power supply, two DAC modules and two earphone modules (the same as the K9Pro), each shielded by a shield. The four headphone ports are positioned parallel to each other in order to round the centre of the two, with brackets added to the audio version. This is the largest and most complex on-the-go audio circuit ever designed by Feiyao, and there is a lot to be said for it.

With large-scale circuitry, large-scale heat dissipation has to be considered. This is why the design of the M17 is very clear. The VC liquid cooling plate is used to avoid concentrating the heat at one point, and the metal thermal conductor is used to isolate the battery and the circuit board to prevent thermal radiation, and then the heat is exported to the aluminum frame. This allows the air from the fan to be directed to the side and then exhausted for efficient heat dissipation.

After looking at the entire M17 board, I was personally reminded of what JEFF from Rivera said: "To achieve high performance, you must have a complex structure, don't believe in multiple incense burners and multiple ghosts, and don't believe in the fairy tale that simplicity reigns supreme, to achieve high performance, you must achieve enough complexity, that's how the world works, it must be costly enough to go further." This level of complexity as I understand it is either software complexity or hardware complexity, circuit complexity is not an end in itself, it is because the purpose of good sound makes the circuit complex, although complexity in both hardware and software is an ideal, the M17 has arguably no equal in the on-the-go realm of complexity.

System Module

The SOC of the M17 is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 plus 4G memory. The 660's balance of power consumption and performance is a generational benchmark, and although it is a flagship configuration from a few years ago, it is still smooth enough to put on a non-heavy use scenario like a player today, and this has been verified on numerous models including Feio's own M11PLUS. Of course, if it is to match the M17's $10,000 class, I personally think that a configuration of 6G RAM plus 128 storage would be more appropriate. But the tweet says that this didn't happen due to supply chain considerations, which I have to say is a shame. However, Fei Ao provides two USB TYPEC ports, the one on the right is a HOST port that can be connected to a hard drive, which greatly expands the storage on the body, and with DLNA reading support, there are more sources of data to read.

The system is Android 10, which I think is much better than Android 11 (11 doesn't allow access to system DATA files which is a real toss-up) and will be more compatible with new applications, such as APPLE MUSIC. the added gyroscope enables the screen to rotate at will and the selection of working modes is more intuitive and convenient, in Bluetooth reception, USB DAC, coaxial decoding, Ariplay and pure audio mode, and Android mode for quick switching, and the large screen allows for more display elements.

I personally chose the default skin for the FiiO MUSIC application and found in use that the large cover skin is more suitable for wide screens like 16:9 and not so good for narrow screens. I wonder if FiiO will optimise it for narrow 18:9 screens like the M17.

Power supply module

The M17 is probably the most complex device in the player in terms of power supply, involving two power supply methods and two supply voltages: in low/medium/high gain and in large ear mode, the power supply to the ear circuit is 8V; in super large ear mode, the power supply to the ear circuit is 11.5V, which is the voltage level of a desktop. Of course, reaching the voltage level of a desktop machine is nothing, but there is also a corresponding processing circuit, in which the key is how to maintain the power and stability between the various modules, which is also the purpose of the modular design. The dac module uses an advanced low dropout linear regulator (LDO) like the LT3045 in order to meet the high DC power requirements of the 9038. In the earphone section, AC power supply is required, and two different types of LDOs are used to secure the positive side of the SGM2211 and the negative side of the SGM2209. In terms of power supply it should be said that every effort is made to provide low noise power to all modules.

Sound module

The audio board of the M17 is the largest board in the machine, the digital signal is then transmitted to the audio board for digital to analogue conversion and amplification after being received by the digital version and processed by the DSP of the FPGA. 9038PRO decoding module (universal module, you should see this decoding module on the K9 soon, eight channels in parallel to process one channel) is decoded and then used to OPA927 (custom made by Fei Ao) After decoding, the I/V conversion is performed with the OPA927 (a chip on the module is left empty for the K9 because it is not used on the go), to the OPA2211 for LPF, and finally to the THX AAA 788+ headphone module for amplification and output.

If there is one thing that makes the M17 a dream come true, it is the fact that it uses the same decoder module and ear amplifier module as the K9 Pro, especially the ear amplifier module, which is the same model as the K9 Pro. The THX AAA amplifier circuit is optimised by the manufacturer himself. 5 % precision resistors and 5 % precision capacitors as well as opa1602 and TPA6120 make up this feed-forward amplifier module. This is a high power output circuit with very low distortion. The output power of the 788+ is twice as high as in the original circuit, and on the M17 it can produce 500mw even with a 300 ohm impedance. This circuit is very popular abroad and is most used in China. The use of an amplifier module must also give sufficient support. In addition to the power supply support, the audio version has 12 aluminium capacitors (looking like the same model as the K9Pro) on the back for filtering and energy storage, providing even better dynamics for the ear amplifier. If taken on its own, the Audio Edition of the M17 is a scaled-down desktop decoder all-in-one built with precision original components.

In navigating the circuitry, my personal feeling is that the sound is not about how one or two complementary originals can be, it is a combination of algorithms, clocks, power supply, chips, resistors and capacitors, each of which is handled well before the whole can be good. It is also in the joint action of the power supply and the module that the maximum 3000mw power output of the whole machine is achieved.

Here a word about gain, this is to say the signal amplification, for example, medium gain 0DB is no amplification, low gain -6DB is amplification 0.5 times, and super loudspeaker +16DB is amplification 6.3 times, this decibel (DB) and amplification is logarithmic relationship. 16DB gain in the table machine is not big say small say not small, from the actual sense of listening, super loudspeaker mode is not I don't think it's a good idea to set the gain at a later date.

Subjective listening experience

The most impressive thing about the M17 during listening is the ease with which it can be listened to. This ease comes from the huge power reserves and the wealth of information available. Based on the good power supply, the background of the M17 is very, very clean and there is no bottom noise at very low volumes. The large soundstage created by the ample drive has a quiet sound background that forms the basic sound framework of the M17. In terms of sound the M17 focuses on sound reproduction, is relatively neutral and has a very good sound density. The low frequencies have a very good reproduction, the dive, spread, positioning and decay of the low frequencies are all very well reproduced, the volume is moderate and there is no excessive low frequency to steal the show more restrained. There is a good density in the midrange, with vocals and instrumental conjunctions centred in the middle, with a good sense of layering and resolution, the presentation of detail in the restoration without making people feel uncomfortably over-informed, with noticeable dentition on some pairings and songs, and a slight warm staining in the midrange to some extent. The high frequency response is very good, with an airiness rarely found on the go, and the extended decay and contrast between light and dark in the high frequencies are well presented, especially the decay, which is very natural in its excess, although if one is used to listening to a type of midrange with concentrated energy, one might find the M17 a little energetic and strongly linear in the mid and high frequencies.

In Super Loud Ear mode, because the power reserve is further enhanced, when the switch is toggled to DC and the screen shows a prompt to point down to yes, there will be a very obvious feeling of the sound field expanding sound pressure becoming stronger, at this time the sound will have a sense of scale expansion while the basic frame remains unchanged, and it is easy to go back after listening to this mode.

In terms of adaptation to music, the advantages of a strong resolution and large soundstage restoration style front end comes through, which can play back various types of music very well. Without opening the playback gain (default setting, which can be opened), the initial playback loudness of various types of tracks can be felt very clearly, such as recent Internet hits and ACG music, which all have a very high loudness, and suddenly switch to old RTHK or classical music, you will find that the sound is much lower. The M17's sensitivity to playback loudness is partly a reflection of the M17's fidelity to playback, and its grasp of microdynamics and vocal detail allows for excellent reproduction of both acoustic and classical sounds, while the density of the midrange also allows for good overall reproduction of popular sounds, without the sound being fragmented due to high separation. The gaps between the various recordings can be clearly heard in the layers between vocals and harmonies and the differences in the position of the recorded vocals. This faithful reproduction leaves plenty of room for the headphones at the back end to shine, and it's up to the headphones to decide whether they want to reproduce or colour.

Since it is claimed to be a desktop machine, it is inevitable that a comparison with a desktop machine is needed to say the least. If compared to the K9Pro, the M17 in line power mode will seem to have less dive in the low end and a slightly smaller soundstage, but the midrange density will be better and the high frequencies more extended. JAMES replied on Weibo that there was 90% strength, and I personally don't think it's unwarranted.

Use with share

The first collocation is the first line power, if you have the need to drive large ears or seek better results, please use the linear power supply to replace the DC adapter that comes with it. Even after the M17's internal processing, there is still high-frequency noise, which is reflected in the lack of quiet background and noisy high frequencies. I personally think it's worth it to invest in an extra linear power supply to get a better experience.

I've paired it with a few headphones myself to try out the performance under different headphones, the rest is rather long, just pick what interests you.

FH5S

The FH5S is driven by the M17 and focuses on the low and midrange, with vocals slightly behind and the background more muddled, but with a better overall sound, fast low frequency and shallow dive. Under the powerful resolution bombardment of the M17, the lack of quality of the FH5S comes to the fore, this is to try, the average person is not expected to match so.

FA9

With the FA9 I only turned on switch 1 (anti-group switch), the dynamic iron resolution and low frequency dive depth of the advantages of the full play, high density of the midrange, high density of vocals at the same time the sound field is also a large circle, performance is very good, high frequency switch is not turned on, the performance of the decay is very fast, the overall is suitable for the popular style.

FD5

The M17 is on fire, and even though I have added a large triad, I feel that the price/performance ratio is high, and the overall performance is as high as a high quality dynamic coil should be. The soundstage is slightly small and the sound is slightly cramped. The slightly brighter high frequencies are well resolved, but some people may find them too bright. Overall, there is no downside to listening to pop.

FDX

With the high power reserve of the M17, this is the level at which the FDX performs at full power, instead of using the loudspeaker mode to push it, it is better to use the low and medium gain to match, so that the sound will be less impactful and more listenable. The high frequencies are better controlled, but the low frequencies are still slightly underdeveloped. Personally, I don't think it's designed to be portable enough, so I'll have to hear it for myself to judge.

ToneTeam evo

Special note, this headset frequency response only to 16k, with the M17 can be said to show its qualities completely, EVO positioning is very good, the sound field is open, the low frequency is relatively weak, the midrange is extremely dense, can be said to be the human voice of the original are the slightest to show you, due to frequency limitations of high frequency dry, lack of vividness. It is also possible that I did not wear it properly, and that the tooth sound was slightly heavy.

EM5

The EM5 is the most commonly used flathead plug for me, I use it when I work, and the EM5 is driven by the M17 to improve the resolution of high frequencies while maintaining the advantages of low frequencies.

Khan

Khan is a slow, slightly irritating headphone with high frequencies and a midrange that is far more suited to acoustic sounds. On the M17 the drive is adequate and the characteristics of the headphones are reflected very well, especially the acoustic performance is particularly suitable for showing the kind of big scene tracks. Rather unexpectedly in super-ear mode, Khan's midrange is driven very full, there is a kind of HD800S drive fully midrange is filled, but all need to be wired electricity, I think this is a little unreliable, only to show that this plug has a lot of drive potential.

Polaris

Polaris is also considered high-end headphones, high-frequency performance is relatively poor, the midrange performance is particularly good, high resolution while listening to not tired, low-frequency reverb is very heavy, but also more difficult to push. In the M17 on the sound is pulled apart, the midrange density is still good, the low frequency cohesion some, is a special character of the headset.

VE8

VE8 slow, focused midrange energy, low frequency in the moving iron texture is good, the M17 is the VE8 midrange rhythm played very well, with a very recognizable sound experience, in listening to the vocals have their own unique performance, but I midrange a little muddled, the M17 driver to this quality of the original play out, giving the VE8 a good quality support.

VX

The soundstage with the M17 is not large (compared to other front ends), but the resolution is extremely well placed, the low-frequency dive and high-frequency extension are excellent, the overall sound is full, the density is extremely high, the sound has excellent reproduction, there is a kind of pure beauty without staining, in terms of sound performance I think it is considered the benchmark of moving iron.

IE800S

Now it's supposed to be Mrs Bull because of the IE900 (laughs), which is actually still one of my favourite moving coil headphones. With the M17, the soundstage has a great improvement, the natural strength of the low end is brought into play, there is a good ambient presentation of acoustic and symphonic sounds, the high frequencies still decay quickly, but the midrange is complemented by the M17 and overall becomes a bit more well-rounded.

The Sage's Stone

This headset low frequency dive is very good not spread, the overall sound of thin, sound field scale is good nearly round type, basically considered balanced, the midrange is a little bit of paste, the junction image forward, listening to the pop will obviously feel the female voice sweet, male thin, personal feeling is a very characteristic headset, good or not depends on personal judgment.

M5

With the M17's I think they can all be described as flawless across the board, a good illustration of what flagship level is. It can also render well for original sound like Star Trek which requires both large and micro dynamics at the same time, and the overall performance is good for big ears. In this pairing, the front end takes full advantage of the headphones and the headphones show the support of the front end, which I think is a very good pairing. the M5 potential in DC-powered Super Loud Ear mode can go one level further, the soundstage is further expanded, the sound is fuller, the details are more three-dimensional, and the performance is very strong, that is, the sense of line is stronger, it depends on personal preference.

I don't have the desire to turn on the big headphones, and since there is a much better Super Loud mode, I listen to them all in Super Loud mode, and I think the sound performance in this mode basically depends on the performance level of each person's own console. So I'm just saying what I feel for reference only, and by the way, the M17 is also the only player I've had so far that uses two MSB decoders as shock absorbers (laughs).

HD600

To be fair, the M17 has driven the HD600 to a more than adequate level, the sound is full of detail and has the level of a desktop driver. The low frequencies are powerful, the high frequencies are not irritating, and the midrange is not empty. The sound and flavour of the HD600 is very well balanced and slightly muddled, which is a rare thing. However, the overall sound is a bit small compared to the shock-absorbing version of the set underneath.

HD598

I should say that the M17 saved my 598, which was eating dust. The 598 was driven by the M17, and I personally think that it was fully driven, with a full and powerful sound, and the sound was not as mushy and soft as a computer pushing it directly. In my personal opinion, the HD598 is a low resistance ear of this level, and with the M17's driving power there is still plenty of room for it.

This is a very complete sound, the midrange performance is very good, the low frequency is also more powerful, the sound is thicker than the 600, playing the advantages of the 701's own midrange, the junction is clear, the singer's mouth can be very clearly rendered, the drive is more adequate, the overall sense is very good

HD700

I personally think that the drive very good headphones, if there is no other high-end system to compare, I think the M17 to drive the HD700 very fully, the HD700 strengths and weaknesses are shown. Yes, a good front end should be able to showcase the strengths of the headphones while also having room to bring out the weaknesses. In the performance of the HD700, the larger soundstage, the magnificent and detailed rendering of the high frequencies, the layering and positioning of the low frequencies, the fullness and emotion of the midrange all have a very good degree of reproduction, of course, the characteristics of the HD700's susceptibility to droning are also shown, giving me the personal feeling that there is a very high degree of completion of the pairing.

HD800S

This time with the recent batch of HD800S 75th Anniversary Edition, this headset and the recent batch of HD800S is the same, the sound compared to the early HD800S, the sound field is slightly smaller but the midrange image is also relatively close to the front, overall I think it is more finished HD800S. to the flagship big headset, M17 driver still has highlights, first of all, the sound is not false, there is enough sound pressure level, followed by enough density, the overall sound is not empty, low frequency has a sense of power, high frequency by energy. But relative to their own desktop system, the soundstage and resolution is still a gap, but this gap to take into account the huge difference in price, I personally feel very satisfied.

Golden Crow

I purposely tried the Golden Crow under single-ended, the high frequencies were unsurprisingly out of control, but in balance the Golden Crow was still driven in a decent way. The sound was still on the thin side though, with the midrange showing a little more pronounced. The high frequencies were well controlled overall, and personally I think it was a good performance to have them under control. For the same reasons as above, I am personally satisfied with the result of this driver, but the shortcomings also show that the M17 is still not as good for driving headphones with high current requirements.

HEK V2

Another headphone that eats current and with a large diaphragm, the HEK V2's low end didn't push out, there was no dive and the soundstage was rather cramped, giving the impression that it wasn't driven adequately. This is to be expected, used to listening to the sound of desktop systems, suddenly switched to a small desktop machine will not adapt to, not to mention the M17, so I said at the beginning, the degree of drive is to be judged by their own listening experience.

It gives the earbuds a high-level driving environment and a quality base, and also performs well in DC mode for driving large ears, which is an advantage of the THX 788+'s low output resistance, wide resistance adaptation and high power output.

A portable size with a sound performance that is as good as a desktop player, good adaptability to different resistance headphones and ease of use is what I like. The sound is the essence of a player, and the quality provided by the desk-level decoder module and the output provided by the headphone module create a good sound, and this is where my dream comes true.

Usage scenario sharing

The biggest advantage of the M17 is its mobility. It is especially suitable for people who demand sound and cannot sit down and enjoy it quietly. For example, I'm always travelling and I have to watch the kids at home, so it's hard to find time to sit in the study and listen to a desktop system. The M17 has an external cooling and power supply component, so you can take it with you when you're out and about, use the LO to listen to the car when you're stuck in traffic, connect it to the switchable power supply to listen to the HD598 on your lunch break at work, or plug the cable into the living room or bedroom to listen to the HD700 on the cooling dock when you get home, which is still very comfortable. After all, the M17 is much more mobile than desktop systems, which can cost several kilograms.

In addition to driving the headphones, the M17 has several other modes of operation and uses. In addition to the Android mode can use other software, pure sound mode can focus on music accidentally, USB DAC can NAIVE support to DSD512, Airplay and Bluetooth reception mode can receive audio transmitted by mobile phones, coaxial decoding mode can be connected to CD and or digital playback to expand the operation. Because of the existence of the RCA standard coaxial port at the bottom, the M17 says goodbye to coaxial adapter cables, the standard interface has a more stable connection with a very strong practicality.

The M17, like the M11PLUS, has both single-ended and balanced dual LOs. The single-ended output voltage of 1.9V provides excellent low frequency and detail for use in the car, and is superior to the car's own audio source across the board. The balanced LO output voltage is 3.9V, which is basically the balanced output voltage of a standard desktop machine. When I connected the headphones, I could get very high loudness and sound pressure with low gain (I was left in tears with only 1.97V desktop decoding), and the phrase voltage is quality on a normal desktop machine is clearly reflected in the M17, which is no less informative and clear than the output of the K9Pro. It's well worth saying that the addition of line power (plugging in line power to dial on and off to DC) improves the quality of the LO output considerably, with more cohesive and powerful low frequencies, clearer and cleaner high frequencies, more tranquil backgrounds and a better sense of midrange layering, an all-round improvement.

From the headphone driver to the coaxial output to the LO output, from my personal experience, in the mode of wiring electricity, I can approximate that the M17 is a digital broadcast decoding ear amplifier all-in-one machine.

In these use scenarios, I usually use more is Bluetooth reception, because the newly added Atpx adaptive protocol support, making the sound basically and the native playback difference is not much, play the music in the phone is also very convenient, also lazy WIFI transfer songs. I personally highly recommend the coaxial decoding mode. With the CD player playing M17 decoding (the coaxial cable is too thick to put in the stand), the sound of the Golden Woo has a thickness and the background stability has been further improved, which is a very worthwhile experience.

I personally prefer to decode the M17 coaxially and listen to it remotely using the FiiO link, as the M17's coaxial output level is not inferior to that of a professional digital player, and it is also more convenient to use.

At $12,000, the M17 is the first player to break the $10,000 barrier and comes with a front and rear protective film, leather case, cooling dock and DC switching power supply as standard to support its portable desktop positioning as an add-on module. With a price tag of at least €2,500 on the Internet, and a price tag of €13,000 for me, it's clear that Fei Ao has managed to be more affordable than it could have been. Unfortunately, it is after all a flagship product and a new model and usage scenario that will inevitably not belong to most people.

Despite having a 9200mA battery, the actual usage life is relatively short, roughly less than 8 hours on balance. Personally, I tend to favour it for audiophile users with low requirements for size of use and the pursuit of sound quality, after all, this size and range is unacceptable for some people. For those who are hesitant about the above two issues, please make sure to experience it for yourself and see if it meets your needs, after all, what suits you is the best.

But for me, the M17 fits almost everything I need in a portable device: high quality digital output, high quality Bluetooth reception, strong native playback quality and an almost desktop-like DC mode with an external expansion module. I've thought of a few other titles while writing this share, but I'm sticking with this one for now because the M17 is a dream come true for me personally.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #816 of 5,692
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #817 of 5,692
Thanks for the article - sounds like they may not be able to add that feature in the near future if at all. 😓
It's funny, more often than not I still use the power button to wake the screen of Android devices, long after "double-tap" came into use, even today I have to spend extra thinking cycles to skip the button and double-tap, so for me, it isn't a great loss to not have a screen always waiting for input.

I'm heartened to hear FiiO is optimizing for power savings for a mobile device, that is the focus I think they should have, especially for minor UI features that are easily avoided by other means.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #818 of 5,692
A Questionnaire About Linear Power Supply

Distinguished FiiO users,
Since the M17 and K9 Pro have entered the market, we have constantly received feedback from our users, suggesting that we produce linear power supply ourselves. To better know your needs, we made a questionnaire and would like to invite you to fill it in. Thank you so much for your support. :tulip: :tulip: :tulip:

Link:
https://forms.gle/BWzZpe1WZzt5bhkG8

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #819 of 5,692

Since the M17 and K9 Pro have entered the market, we have constantly received feedback from our users, suggesting that we produce linear power supply ourselves. To better know your needs, we made a questionnaire and would like to invite you to fill it in. Thank you so much for your support. :tulip: :tulip: :tulip:

Link:
I have already asked it multiple times with no answer. What is the range for 12V DC input? You said at 16V it is turned off but what is the lower limit?

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #820 of 5,692

Link:
I would greatly value the option to buy a FiiO built, high quality, linear power supply to match with the M17.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #821 of 5,692
Your daily DeepL translated review :) :

https://post.smzdm.com/p/a0dm6kv8/

I. Preface - portable desktop

As a portable gamer, I used to be scorned by people - what kind of HiFi is a portable?

When this happened, I was usually speechless.

When I look at desktop systems and even players who play audio, those are like TV shows with stacked rows of desktop machines and walls full of records, the dim light of electronic tubes saying "the bass is heavy" praise, different materials but uniformly thick all kinds of cables, subtle foot pegs, a variety of ports, elaborate power supply... ...all of which irritate the sensitive nerves of on-the-go gamers.

When they were cheap, they were called "low-end"; when the price point of portable earbuds went up, they were called "big-headed".

In short, portable burners are at the lower end of the despicable chain.

In fact, for many burners, it's not that they don't want to get a desktop system, but because the pace of life is so fast these days, caught between work and life, it's hard to find the time and mood to sit quietly at home and listen carefully to big headphones and speakers. For the most part, our musical world is actually appealing to the cracks of existence. The desktop, for young audiophiles nowadays, is more like something that can be looked up to and touched at any time, but is even more out of reach.

Previously, we have seen some "portable desktops". The essence of these "portable desktops" is to add a built-in power supply to the desktop, making it "unplugged" and mobile, but their real state of use is not substantially different from that of ordinary desktops, and they are not truly portable at all. It is not truly portable, let alone portable. The concept of "portability" is still more about form than content.

In my opinion, the only way to make this "portable" player more portable is to bring it into our school bags, satchels or even our pockets.

From the first X series to the M series, the company has been exploring the boundaries of what is possible in terms of features, workmanship and sound. Previously it was difficult to imagine how Feio would break away from such an excellent product as the M15, but when I actually saw the M17, I realised that Feio's expansion of the M series was not limited to the concept of a portable, but was going to break away even more from the established model and become a whole new category - " portable desktop".

So, today we're going to take a look at the M17 and discuss what we think about the "portable desktop".

Objective

1. In terms of size, the M17 measures 15 x 9 x 3cm and weighs 610g (about 1.2 pounds). This size and weight is undoubtedly quite large and heavy if for a Walkman. The NOMAD JUKEBOX generation of CREATIVE, the largest digital Walkman I can remember, was about that size.

If you think of it as a 'desktop' device, the M17 is so portable that we can carry it around in our backpacks and take it out whenever and wherever we want. If you're fit enough and your pockets are big enough, you can even carry it in your pocket for street use.

2. The Fei Ao M17 features dual ES9038PRO decoder chips, THX AAA-788+ upgraded headphone amplifiers and a built-in battery/linear power supply dual power supply mode. The M17 is a portable desktop player that is different from previous portable players.

3. The M17 is equipped with almost all types of ports and functional expansions. A particularly noteworthy feature is the return of the traditional 6.35 single-ended headphone port, which is commonly used in desktop players, while another equally "retro" design comes from the use of RCAs for the coaxial in/out ports, a port type that is closer to the standard of desktop systems on the market and has a higher rate of accessory sharing. The M17 even comes with two TYPE-C ports, separating the charging and storage functions from the data output functions for better results.

With a 6" HD screen and an open Android system, the M17 gives us easy access to internet music sources and the ability to install and use the applications we need just like a mobile phone.

4. The M17 is also equipped with a DC power input, which can be powered by an external DC power supply, and is set to work in three modes: battery powered, DC power powered and hybrid power. We can clearly feel that the M17 has better sound performance in the external DC power supply mode. The importance of a separate external power supply for a sound system cannot be overstated, something that enthusiasts have experienced first-hand with the NOMAD JUKEBOX III more than ten years ago.

Moreover, the external DC power supply can also be used to recharge the M17's internal battery.

5. The M17 has a total of 12 RGB lights next to the volume knob and on both sides of the body. These lights show the various real-time states of the player in different combinations, colours, brightness and flashing, so that we can know the specifics of the player without having to open the screen.

However, because their combinations are so numerous and complex, it may take some time for the user to become familiar with the linguistic meaning of this breathing light.

6. A cooling dock comes as standard with the original machine, probably because the M17 will generate more heat when it is in operation. However, during normal use, I did not find the M17 in a high-temperature state. In general, the M17 can be used normally when placed on a desktop.

Other accessories include the DC power adapter, various connection cables, the original leather case and the aluminium dust plug. Basically, all the usual accessories needed for the M17 are packed in the machine, so there is no need to buy them separately in general.

7. For other specifications, parameters and other hardware information, readers can check in the product description, which is not listed in this article.

III. Sound section
Before the sound section, let's briefly discuss some of the differences between the sound of the M17 and a Walkman in the same price range.

Firstly, the sound of a desktop is more complete in terms of the overall framework and the overall sound is better.

Secondly, the sound of a desktop tends to be more balanced and stable than that of a Walkman, while a Walkman is more personal and expressive.

Thirdly, the desktop has a greater drive capability.

Let's take a look at the sound performance of the M17 with these questions in mind.

1. Quality part

The M17 is excellent when it comes to the contentedness of the sound. It is able to sort out the complex sound content in an orderly manner, and can make a corresponding and reasonable representation of each part of the sound according to its own primary and secondary relationship. It is not only able to express the content of the sound completely and accurately, but also to express the form, line, sense of colour, temperature, and even hardness and density of the sound in different forms and ways, so that the sound expressed by the M17 is not only realistic and accurate, but also more layered and differentiated. This is something that is difficult to achieve in the Walkman world.

The M17 also has a high level and scale in terms of soundstage and dynamics. The soundstage space is of a very high scale, both for large headphones and earbuds, and the individual instruments can be arranged and positioned with ease within this sound space. At the same time, dynamics are the M17's forte, and its strength and momentum are capable of fulfilling the ambient demands of the music at a very high level. The soundstage and dynamics are particularly impressive when powered by DC power.

We can consider the M17 to be basically at the average basic level of a desktop machine in its class, in terms of both content and field sense.

In terms of sound quality and purity, the M17 also has a good level of quality. The density of the sound, the flexibility of the lines and the transparency of the space are all good, and are at a basic level for a medium-sized desk. However, the M17 has a slightly dryer, more restless sound than other desk units in the same price range, especially split systems, and there is a gap between the M17 and traditional desk units in terms of the need for more detail. At the same time, compared to some discrete earphones in the $10,000 range, the M17 has a fair amount of spatial transparency, but the background is not as "dark". But I don't think this is a huge difference, and in most cases it's not very noticeable.

Listening to the 1812 Overture (choral version) (with headphones from the Uyon PK1 high resistance flat headphones), I clearly felt that in the opening chorus, the M17's vocal flavour was moist and resilient, while the later fiddle showed enough hardness to make the difference directly between the peaceful and silent wilderness scenery and the fleeting war horns create a wonderfully contrasting image in the listener's mind. In the middle of the piece there is an interplay of instrumental music, with the main melody alternating with the variation of the Marseillaise as a sub-melody, complemented by a diatonic fiddle and reeds in the background, which together create a grand war scene. The final part of the artillery is needless to say, not only does it show enough momentum and intensity, but it also manages to complete a very large sounding conjuncture, which is rare.

2. Tuning

The tuning of the M17 is more complex than that of Feio's previous players.

If we look at the overall trend, the sound of the M17 is slightly cooler than the M15, but much warmer than the previous X series. So we can assume that the sound style of the M17 is on the neutral and balanced side, while the M17 is more extended than the M15 on both sides of the frequency spectrum, i.e. the high frequencies are more translucent and the lows are more solid, while in the midrange it is slightly more restrained than the M15, not as dense as the M15.

If we say that the M17 is tuned to accentuate the quality of its performance, we cannot be wrong; but if we say that the M17 is simply a sound that expresses quality, then we are very wrong, and this is what I said earlier about the complexity of the M17's tuning.

On the one hand, the M17 has to highlight its qualities in order to achieve the level of performance required for its positioning as a desktop machine, and to be able to have enough qualities to match other desktop equipment so that it has a wider range of adaptability and sound expansion.

On the other hand, the M17's own tuning flavour is distinctive in that it has sufficient sound temperature, colour and three-dimensional lines to support its musical performance, especially in the midrange temperature and high frequency brightness, which is fully compatible, so that we are not torn between the two, while its low-frequency volume is not small, in the case of musical content required It also has enough rendering power to set a sense of ambience.

Therefore, I think it may not be realistic to expect the M17's musical flavour to perfectly fit the warm, dark vocals, because after all, as a desktop device, it needs to cover and be compatible with a lot of directions, and has to take into account the needs of a wider range of audiophiles.

The song is not complicated, it is basically a combination of piano and vocals, but the simpler it is, the more difficult it is to perform, as the slightest detail is constantly magnified by the senses.

The M17's performance of Ye Qianwen is airy and natural, and sounds comfortable to listen to. Although the M17 is a relatively hard-line front-end, it still possesses enough looseness and softness in the vocal performance. The singer's extremely controlled vocal line is held with great accuracy in the M17's performance, and it is able to possess enough gentleness and looseness to draw out the light smile at the corners of Fat's mouth to the tenderness and helplessness hidden beneath Liao Fan's cold face in a vivid and subtle way.

3、Style

In terms of style, the M17 itself is balanced in its overall style. We can assume that with the right equipment, headphones and cables, the M17 can cover almost all music styles, even some of the more niche ones such as metal rock and ACG type music.

If I were to make a further selection among all the genres, I would say that the M17 is the best at classical music and regular pop music, and that other genres also work well with the M17.

If I had to choose the least suitable genre of music, I would choose jazz and blues, the M17's vocal sense is slightly more hard-edged, and for these genres, which require particularly soft lines and large knots, the ambience is a little lacking, and it is not as warm or dark.

4. Power

In normal terms, the M17 is capable of driving all earbuds and almost all large headphones on the market today. For the hardest headphones I've tried in my hands, the M17 is able to drive them to a level that I think is normal for headphones. So, I don't think there is much to worry about when it comes to actual headphone pairing, at least not too much about the M17's pushing power.

Especially with a DC power supply on board, the M17's driving ability is particularly good.

Of course, if I were to ask for a higher standard, I used the M17 to compare with my desktop amplifier, and I think that the overall sound framework driven by the M17 is basically on par with that of a gallophone; in terms of the control of some details, it feels a bit stereotypical, not so easy and comfortable, and there is not much rendering, but this may also be the nature of the gallophone itself, not necessarily the problem of the M17. The M17 is not necessarily a problem.

In summary, the M17 has a more obvious desktop character in terms of sound quality, style and even driving situation. Although we can still see some traditional Walkman flavours and concepts in the M17, the overall framework of its sound is still more oriented towards desktop devices.

IV. Overall assessment of the sound

I think the M17 is a portable desktop unit that basically has the same level of sound as desktop all-in-one units in its price range.

It should be noted that the M17 has been developed from the beginning with the desktop as the overall design framework and sound standard. Compared to a non-portable all-in-one in the 10,000 RMB range, the M17 does not produce a significant difference in the hard quality of sound.

The M17 has an overall advantage over other Walkmans in the same price range. But as a player designed with the desktop in mind, the M17 has to be comprehensive and accurate in terms of the sound content it needs to cover, so there is not much bias presented in terms of sound characteristics.

While the M17 itself has enough musicality and flavour from a music appreciation point of view, its personalised content seems slightly less.

In other words, if you want to listen to music on the M17, it has enough musicianship; if you want to listen to so-called "analogue" or "MSG" flavours on the M17, it is not so obvious.

In terms of pricing, I think the sound level of the M17 is reasonable by desktop standards.

The M17 has the sound framework of a desktop and the size and usability of a Walkman, combining the best of both worlds. For many burners who cannot set up a desktop system, the M17 is an ideal crossover device, while for some burners who already have a desktop system, the M17 is a good addition and match with portable capabilities.

V. Comparative situation

In fact, we can describe or summarise part of the sound of the M17, but I think that for such a brand new concept of "portable desktop", we should briefly talk about the differences between the M17, desktop and portable, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

The main function of the M17 is to act as a "backpacker", allowing us to access the sound of an otherwise immovable desktop in a relatively fixed environment; the other is to use it as a digital player or decoder. The other is to participate in the desktop system as a digital player or decoder, so that the desktop system has a good way of communicating with the portable device.

Therefore, the M17, as a portable desktop unit, is different from a desktop unit and a Walkman, and we should not confuse these concepts.

2. As a portable desktop, the M17 is basically capable of sounding at the overall level of a desktop in the $10,000 range. It even tends to be slightly better in terms of the way it handles sound detail and its ability to control the junction, which is, after all, the strength of the traditional Walkman segment. The main difference between the M17 and the desktop is in the vibrancy and purity of the sound, which I can feel is that the M17's sound is a bit "harder" than that of a $10,000 desktop. The sound of the M17 is a little less vibrant.

3. Compared to traditional Walkmans, the M17 has a clear advantage in terms of hard quality, as well as a significant increase in drive capability. Throughout the history of digital Walkmans, there have only been one or two limited editions of machines that have been able to compete with the M17 in terms of driving power.

The M17 also has enough comprehensiveness in terms of sound integrity. Such tuning is on the one hand for more compatibility with headphones, especially with larger headphones, which has been significantly improved, and on the other hand for adaptability with other desktop devices and cables.

4. Based on the M17's own characteristics, we should still look at this machine more objectively. If we simply use the M17 as a Walkman, I think we can achieve good results, but that is not the full strength and meaning of the M17.

5. I think the M17 is more of a bridge from portable and portable to desktop systems. For many enthusiasts who are "inwardly curled" in the on-the-go world and have no idea what to do with a desktop system, the M17 is a more versatile device that allows us to keep our on-the-go applications while leaving open the possibility of moving on to a desktop system.

The M17's expansiveness on the desktop side is by no means only derived from the quality of its sound, the diversity of its ports and its huge thrust, but more from the designer's different understanding of the sound of desktop systems and on-the-go devices when tuning them, and blending them with each other to make the M17's sound a style and attribute that has the combined expansiveness of both.

VI. Starting point

The M17 is part of the M series, and we can say that the M17 follows in the footsteps of many of the M series' predecessors, with a certain heritage and continuity in design and sound.

The M17 has been labelled as a "portable desktop", which means that for Fei Ao, it also wants to satisfy the growing demand for quality listening and to create a boulevard of HiFi for its fans.

In fact, there is no clear distinction between a Walkman and a desktop. The reason why Fei Ao defines the M17 as a "desktop" is that on the one hand, it shows that the M17 has the level and capability of a desktop; on the other hand, it is a combination of a Walkman and a desktop, so that we can pursue a higher level of HiFi with a portable desktop like the M17.

Perhaps the M17 is the end of the line for many people's portable devices, but I think the M17 should be more of a starting point for on-the-go players to be able to seek the concept and meaning of big headphones and desktop systems on a portable desktop like the M17, and based on the M17 itself, to move further into the broader field of desktop to seek a higher quality HiFi experience.

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #822 of 5,692
I have already asked it multiple times with no answer. What is the range for 12V DC input? You said at 16V it is turned off but what is the lower limit?
It is recommended to buy 12V3A DC charger. The lower limit is 11V. The plug specification could be DC5521 or DC5525, inside positive and outside negative.

Best regards

Last edited:

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #823 of 5,692
Dream come true! Review sharing by chen_racon2021 (originally posted at: https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?...qmRVGAEc2V_KQe0h8Do0mFN6t-pSIRemjhss7KW6vo8Tk)

Part 1

「M17 for me personally, is the dream come true.」
In my life, I am always working hard towards my expectations, to achieve my goals. Even if I am not late for work today, I will feel a little sense of accomplishment. As a consumer in the information age, there are too many demands that can not be completed by oneself. For example, finding the right sound for yourself, after all, there are only a few people who can manually weld bile machines. Most people still need to achieve the desired sound and experience through their own matching. My expectation of portable player is actually quite retro. I hope to have a portable player with sound performance that can reach the original desktop-class player 10 years ago, and the operation can keep up with the products of the streaming music era. The M17 from FiiO helped me to realize my dream.
In the past, I counted more than 10 functions of desktop digital audio streamers with friends. Now looking at M17, it basically has all those functions: there is a smooth operating system, a clock management system composed of femtosecond crystal oscillators, a relatively perfect network playback support (including DLNA, airplay, etc.), a perfect Bluetooth support, and a perfect shielding heat dissipation power supply system. Let me share my experience with you in the content below. The following text will be very long. I will share it according to modules and look at the parts that interest me.
Appearance&Operation
M17 comes with DC adapter, leather case and fan base which allows you to fully experience the M17.
Overall appearance, I think the M17 is more like a computer chassis, although the official propaganda calls it mecha style, but the side of the atmosphere light and thickness always give me a feeling of ITX chassis. In fact, the size of the M17 is ok, mainly the thickness of it affects the impression. I personally do not feel big, one-handed grip and operation are no problem. If you say it is classified as a portable device, it's thicker than a normal portable device and the size of the M17 is not considered a mobile device, this classification depends on the size of the user's own acceptance.
Ambient lights on the frame and volume knob are a major feature of the M17, and the 12 RGB lights create a sci-fi atmosphere for the M17. You could set the default color or set it to vary from different sampling rate. The color will also be changed in different working modes. If you don't want to change, you can also turn it off in the setting. FiiO players originally had a circle light design. I usually turn it off, but the light area of the M17 is larger and more recognizable, so I have been in the on state during use. When the screen is off and no music playback, the light will also be turned off to save some power. In the state of not opening the screen, you can intuitively understand the working state of the player. I think it is both beautiful and practical. If there is any expectation, it is if you can adjust the RGB color matching like the dazzling color of the computer host, it will be more personalized.
On the front is a 5.99-inch 1080p display, and on the top are four earphone ports (6.35/4.4/3.5/2.5) and volume knobs (potentiometer, which can not turn 360 degrees). On the left are previous and next track, play and pause and customization buttons, and on the right are power and volume buttons. There is a switch on the left and right above the ambient light. On the left is the HOLD button (can be set in the settings), and on the right is the battery/DC switch. At the bottom are two USB interfaces, a charging + 3.0, a HOST (can output 5V2A) can be connected to external hard disk; the left is the DC interface, the right is the coaxial interface. In order to prevent ash from entering the interface that is not commonly used, and to make the whole machine simple, FiiO is equipped with three aluminum alloy dust plugs at 6.35, DC power supply port and coaxial port. This dust plug also plays a certain protective role. I like it very much.
The volume adjustment method of M17 is not as much as that of M11PLUS, but it is more retro. The knob on the top (the same ADC control method of M15) and the button on the right(both provide 120-level volume adjustment). Use it the way you like to adjust, I personally like to use the knob, because the analog potentiometer feels really good, but using FiiO link adjustment requires modifying the volume adjustment method to the button. This operation is a bit complicated, so it is better to modify it to the way of M15 screen adjustment. If the system volume is inconsistent with the knob, it is simpler to turn the volume knob to the minimum and then adjust it to restore it.
As a standard accessory, the leather case is not tightly attached to the M17. There is obvious space on the side. When the fan base radiates heat, you can obviously feel the wind coming out of the side. I think this design is not only good for disassembly, but also reserved space for heat dissipation, this will be said later.
Android system is the traditional advantage of FiiO, and its fluency is optimized very well. The holding and operation varies from person to person, but it will definitely not be as easy to operate as the original M15/M11PLUS. Due to the fact that the buttons are on the high side, there is no obvious difference between the buttons with the case on (the bare metal playback key has a recognition point), the misoperation in the left area is possible by mistake. It is recommended to use the function of the lock key to lock the operation, so that it will not be touched by mistake.
255743434_4607580189299478_8883749232904560652_n.jpg

To be continued

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #824 of 5,692
It is recommended to buy 12V3A DC charger. The lower limit is 11V. The plug specification could be DC5521 or DC5525, inside positive and outside negative.

Best regards
Will FiiO be coming out soon with your own separate linear power supply to complement the M17?

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #825 of 5,692

Chapter 2 How to Evaluate the Combination of Player/AMP and Headphones
- Take M17 and HD800S as an Example

There is a common question that I am often asked when chatting with others. That is, how much effect can be achieved when using the XXX player to drive the XX headphones?
Frankly speaking, as a consumer, I hope someone can help me with this question too. However, being a manufacturer and an experienced engineer, this question is indeed difficult for me to give an answer. Because any answer requires a reference standard in nature, and this standard shall be recognized by everyone. But such a standard does not exist in the audio industry.
If there is only one answer, it must be calculated based on the curve of the maximum undistorted power of the player versus its output impedance, the impedance curve and the sensitivity of the headphones, to determine whether a certain player can drive a certain pair of headphones to achieve a maximum undistorted sound pressure that can fulfill the user requirement.
In professional audio designs, the maximum undistorted sound pressure is an essential indicator. Specifically, the THX certification for cinemas requires that the maximum undistorted sound pressure at all seats should reach the level of 105dB at 1kHz. And the sound pressure difference of the left, middle and right channels between each seat shall not exceed ± 3dB.
In China, the relevant industrial standards state as follow. The maximum sound pressure level of indoor sound reinforcement systems in various venues is, for sports: level one 105dB, level two 98dB, for music and opera performances: level one 109dB, level two 105dB, for modern music, rock music: level one 109dB, level two 106dB, for theatrical performances: level one 106dB, level two 103dB.
Of course, the requirements of these standards can only meet one of the most basic requirements. That is to say, at the very least, you can hear a sufficiently loud and clear sound when you go to watch ball games, musicals, or other performances.
Then what is the sound pressure level of the scenes in our daily life? According to Wikipedia, the heavy traffic (10 meters away) can be 80~90dB. The loud noises generated by rock drills used for road construction (1 meter away) reaches 100dB. For the aircraft engine, (100 meters away) it would be 110~140dB. The Vuvuzela horn (1 meter away) takes 120dB, and the shot of M1 rifle (1 meter away) is 168dB.
Therefore, theoretically, it would be demanding and difficult to completely restore these sounds. Some people may say that according to data, 120dB may cause hearing loss, and the ear pain threadhold value is 130dB. But one thing should be noted is, the 120dB here refers to a long sustained sound pressure. A short, quick one will not cause damage. Otherwise, those soldiers with M1 rifles will have bad ears. Or say, we shall see all soldiers participating in the war should wear 3M noise-canceling ear muffs.
In fact, I had written an article concerning the power and some combinations of HiFi products based on some researches and materials.
To talk about it in a more simple way, I personally don't think it is recommended to use a 10-point system to describe whether a certain device can drive a certain pair of headphones well. Instead, it can be roughly evaluated as follows:
Level one, it makes a sound.
There is basically no problem with it, haha. Even if you use a mobile phone that has a 3.5mm jack with HD800, it can make a sound at least.
Level two, it works.
The front-end (DAP/AMP/dongle) is able to drive the headphones to achieve an undistorted sound pressure of 90dB. It works when it plays some pop music, and the basic need of most of people can be met.
Level three, not too bad.
This refers to the front-end drives headphones that can achieve an undistorted sound pressure of 110dB. Most of the non-audiophiles should feel good and it can also satisfy the need for some beginners.
Level four, good.
It requires the front-end is able to drive the headphones to make an undistorted sound pressure of 120dB. It is more demanding than the requirements of THX and Chinese industry standard. It is also the aim of most audiophiles.
Level five, ideal.
The ideal level should not only be a matter of maximum sound pressure. For example, when playing the 1812 Overture, the sound of the gun shots should not only be loud and clear enough, but also involves various factors such as timbre matching, which is closely related to personal preferences. In general, it can be said that there is no absolutely ideal driver. However, if a DAP can drive the headphones to make the undistorted sound pressure far more than 120dB, it can be considered to be a relatively ideal choice.
These are my personal opinions, for reference only.
Finally, let's see what extent the M17 can drive the HD800 to.
Given:
1, The maximum undistorted power of the M17 is 3000mW at 32 ohms, and 500mW at 300 ohms.
2, For the HD800S, its impedance is 300 ohms, the sensitivity is 102dB/1Vrms, and the nominal continuous power is 500mW.
So we can do a simple calculation.
According to P = U²/R, supposed R=300 ohms, then the undistorted effective voltage of M17 should be: V=√(P x R)=√(0.5 x 300)=12.25Vrms. Obviously, the result is far more than 1Vrms.
Then what is the maximum undistorted sound pressure that can drive the HD800S when the voltage is 12.25Vrms? First we need to convert the Sensitivity to a value that can be calculated with Power value. The formula is: Sensitivity (db/mw) = Sensitivity (db spl/V) -10*(3 - log(headphones impedance)) = 102 - 10*(3 - log(300)) = 102 - 10*(3 - 2.477) = 102-5.23 =96.77dB/mW
To be honest, this sensitivity is not high enough and requires higher driving power. Let's see how much power is required to achieve an undistorted sound pressure of 120 dB.
Given the sensitivity ( A ), the sound pressure needs to be achieved ( B ), then the driving power should be: P = 10 ^ ((B-A)/10)
Put the data into the formula,
P = 10 ^ ((120-96.77) / 10) = 10 ^ 2.323 = 210 mW
Remember that this 210 mW is the power at 300 ohms load. It's nearly impossible for average dongles and mobile phones to achieve. In fact, the M17 can only output 250 mW at 300 ohms load under battery power supply, and can only reach 500 mW under DC power supply in Enhanced Over-ear Headphone Mode.
Therefore, back to the question at the beginning, the combination of the M17 and HD800S can achieve good results. If ignoring the factor of timbre matching, the M17 can be considered as an ideal choice to drive the HD800S under DC power supply in Enhanced Over-ear Headphone Mode.
247932357_4528327173941983_8362386171939976387_n.jpg

To be continued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back