Compliment IEMs to SM3 and DBA-02
Nov 10, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Yo head-fi'ers,

So I am looking for a pair of IEMs that will compliment my DBA-02 and SM3. I was thinking the SE535 might be good or maybe even the SE425. So what do you guys think? have other suggestions?

Or maybe it's time for me to go the customs route?

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
If you want to stay with universals, trying a moving armature based IEM might be an interesting experience.

Oh yea, never thought about that. Can you recommend me a pair? How would you describe the sound sig. compared to SM3 and DBA-02?
Thanks for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 23
In short their sound sig is extremely transparent across the whole frequency range, with clear highs and good bass texture. Somehow like a crossbreed between DD and BA.

Here's a comparison of the MAs I've heard:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/review-moving-armature-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss#post_7026657

And here's another comparison including the e-Q7 and SM3, so you can get a rough idea:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503801/review-impressions-of-the-final-audio-design-fi-ba-ss-versus-the-sm3-fx700-and-e-q7

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 23
You have two armature IEMs, why not go with a dynamic? Regardless of what sound signature you choose, by virtue of it being a dynamic you'll get a different style of presentation.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
You have two armature IEMs, why not go with a dynamic? Regardless of what sound signature you choose, by virtue of it being a dynamic you'll get a different style of presentation.

Thanks for suggestion, I have had the Eterna v1 which are dynamic phones and yes they are very different and sound really good in the lower department and have an overall pretty unique sound sig.

Quote:
In short their sound sig is extremely transparent across the whole frequency range, with clear highs and good bass texture. Somehow like a crossbreed between DD and BA.

Here's a comparison of the MAs I've heard:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520503/review-moving-armature-shootout-the-ortofon-e-q7-versus-3-new-final-audio-iems-fi-ba-a1-fi-ba-sb-fi-ba-ss#post_7026657

And here's another comparison including the e-Q7 and SM3, so you can get a rough idea:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503801/review-impressions-of-the-final-audio-design-fi-ba-ss-versus-the-sm3-fx700-and-e-q7

They do sound interesting, very nice reviews btw. I like how you spit your review up into music genres and gave impressions on how each IEM did in that spesific music genre.
None of them look all that appealing to me though :p
Buut i might get an moving armature anyway
biggrin.gif

Or maybe customs?

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 23
Looking at the price of the se535, jh5 customs don't seem to be out of your reach. I can't give you any imput on the sound signature because I dont own them but don't forget the search engine is your friend. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Looking at the price of the se535, jh5 customs don't seem to be out of your reach. I can't give you any imput on the sound signature because I dont own them but don't forget the search engine is your friend. 

Yep i know, I read at lot about IEMs every day. But there isn't too much information available about the SE535 and especially not the SE425.
And yea, i know that at this price level customs aren't out of reach, which is why I'm considering those 
normal_smile .gif

Anyway, thanks for replies and suggestions guys
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 23
It depends on if you want a complement to what you have or an upgrade. I don't think there really be any upgrades at that level although james does say his FAD BA-SS is an upgrade but at those prices.. :p If you consider customs you really need to think about it. There are possible refits, multiple impressions if fit doesn't turn out well and resale value is out the window. I had doubts about mine when I first got it but I think it may be worth it at the end.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
It depends on if you want a complement to what you have or an upgrade. I don't think there really be any upgrades at that level although james does say his FAD BA-SS is an upgrade but at those prices.. :p If you consider customs you really need to think about it. There are possible refits, multiple impressions if fit doesn't turn out well and resale value is out the window. I had doubts about mine when I first got it but I think it may be worth it at the end.

1+

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Heres a review from engadget on the 535s
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/25/shure-se535-review/
Heres a first impression thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread

And heres a comparison of the 420s and 425s..very detailed
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517256/shure-se-420-vs-se-425-long

I hope this helps and GL 

Thanks for the links, I have actually read the comparison before
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Yea i know. First getting the Customs can be a bit troublesome and even afterwards if you find that customs aren't really for you the resell value is pretty terrible - and another problem with customs is that you can't really try before you buy either. So it's a tough one.
Maybe I should the get custom tips for the SM3 before buying real customs to get a rough idea of how customs are?? I still have to go through the hassle of getting ear impressions though.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Yea i know. First getting the Customs can be a bit troublesome and even afterwards if you find that customs aren't really for you the resell value is pretty terrible - and another problem with customs is that you can't really try before you buy either. So it's a tough one.
Maybe I should the get custom tips for the SM3 before buying real customs to get a rough idea of how customs are?? I still have to go through the hassle of getting ear impressions though.

If you go to some headphone meets like CANJAM or some local ones that have sponsors..they do have custom demos that give you kind of a taste of whats to be expected. And I agree with many others, many people have said after buying $300+ iems it more consists of sound signature rather than just sq for universals at least. Just from what I've heard/read though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back