Compilation of portable amps
Jan 31, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #48 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
That is a sweet list. Thanks for doing it, it's been a big help for me.

Glad to here it.With all the help this forum has given me, I wanted to give something back. Although with all the money this forum cost me, I should sue for mental distress
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #49 of 169
Feb 1, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #50 of 169
Another possible supplier for amps - I just came accross Twinstarr on eBay, he's in Canada (good for those living here and unsure about duties and international shopping woes). Sells two models currently, a nicely made Cmoy, for US$90, and a Apheared47 Cmoy enhanced variant with two dual output opamps, priced at US$110. Add shipping to all prices, and he's working on a lower priced version, the Red model that will sell for around 70 US.

The Cmoy model is at http://www.twinstarr.com/twinstarr_blue_cmoy.htm

Apheared model (shown below) is at http://www.twinstarr.com/twinstarr_black_apheared.htm

black_iso_large.jpg

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #51 of 169
blitze
HI: That amp look good. I mean it uses a 9 volt batt. Have you heard it and if so wich one. There seem to be 3 of them.

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #52 of 169
This is a great thread. I'd like to nominate for a sticky.

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #53 of 169
I'll also nominate for sticky, but I would like to see the amps divided into portable and transportable status. Some of these amps being mentioned aren't exactly easy to lug around.

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #54 of 169
Sorry I haven't posted sooner.
I would like to recommend the "Super Mini Mint Amp" sold by Western Impressions on Ebay.
It is sold as both a kit and assembled.
I am not sure if it is a true "MINT" amp or an updated/upgraded Cmoy. However, it sounds better than the basic Cmoy amp that I also own. Slightly better resolution overall and tighter bass. It uses a Burr Brown OP2227P opamp.
To my ears this amp does what it should-not only amplifies but enhances the sound coming out of a portable cd player that I mainly use it with. It adds no annoying or electronic colorations. And it nots even really broken in.
I think it sounds as good or better than some other more expensive amps that I have tried that shall remain nameless.

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #55 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
blitze
HI: That amp look good. I mean it uses a 9 volt batt. Have you heard it and if so wich one. There seem to be 3 of them.

hi, Ltucci,

Sorry, I haven't heard or seen in person any of those, I found the seller in eBay and thought it would be good to have it on this list. His work seems to be above the average hobby builder selling in eBay, but that's entirely based on looking up his webpages.
wink.gif

The best is the Black model, $110 US. Interesting to see that he's coming up with a lower cost version (Red model) based on the same chip used in the Electric Avenues PocketAmp V2 - he's noticed that Gary is selling a lot of PA2V2s I think.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I have one of them, just started the burning in as per your suggestion in another thread)

I support the suggestion to make this thread a sticky - it's very useful for people starting to shop around indeed...

EDIT:

Just found on the listings on eBay that Xenos has a new amp model, selling in the same price range (US$ 55 Buy it Now price in eBay) as the PocketAmpV2 from Eletric Avenues. It even looks like it externally, but they have their own design circuits inside.

X0-main-v-med.jpg

And the inside view - two circuit boards, final output stage by individual transistors, not Opamp:

PCB-view-V1-med.jpg

Pretty neat. Another one to add to the list, maybe?
580smile.gif

Full specs at http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ata-sheet.html

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #56 of 169
Added all three of the Twinstarr models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitze
Another possible supplier for amps - I just came accross Twinstarr on eBay, he's in Canada (good for those living here and unsure about duties and international shopping woes). Sells two models currently, a nicely made Cmoy, for US$90, and a Apheared47 Cmoy enhanced variant with two dual output opamps, priced at US$110. Add shipping to all prices, and he's working on a lower priced version, the Red model that will sell for around 70 US.

The Cmoy model is at http://www.twinstarr.com/twinstarr_blue_cmoy.htm

Apheared model (shown below) is at http://www.twinstarr.com/twinstarr_black_apheared.htm

black_iso_large.jpg

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #57 of 169
Can you provide a link to a website? I would rather not list eBay auctions as the source if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfo
Sorry I haven't posted sooner.
I would like to recommend the "Super Mini Mint Amp" sold by Western Impressions on Ebay.
It is sold as both a kit and assembled.
I am not sure if it is a true "MINT" amp or an updated/upgraded Cmoy. However, it sounds better than the basic Cmoy amp that I also own. Slightly better resolution overall and tighter bass. It uses a Burr Brown OP2227P opamp.
To my ears this amp does what it should-not only amplifies but enhances the sound coming out of a portable cd player that I mainly use it with. It adds no annoying or electronic colorations. And it nots even really broken in.
I think it sounds as good or better than some other more expensive amps that I have tried that shall remain nameless.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #58 of 169
Added

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitze

Just found on the listings on eBay that Xenos has a new amp model, selling in the same price range (US$ 55 Buy it Now price in eBay) as the PocketAmpV2 from Eletric Avenues. It even looks like it externally, but they have their own design circuits inside.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #59 of 169
Does anyone know how to get this turned into a sticky? I emailed the administrators last week about it with no response.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 169
Another helpful column to add to the list would show which manufacturers allow a demo of their amps. It's so hard to choose an amp by web site hype and people's opinions. I need to buy audio w/ my ears. Examples: Electric Avenues and Shellbrook Labs allow returns after trying. Xenos and jmt audio don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back