Compilation of portable amps
Jan 30, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #32 of 169
A Canadian small company is listing their Xenos 3HA amp in eBay listings, and seems to also sell directly. I am new to amps, but this seems to be a nice one, priced at US$130.

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

I bought a Electric Avenues model, and am looking forward to receiving it soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #33 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitze
A Canadian small company is listing their Xenos 3HA amp in eBay listings, and seems to also sell directly. I am new to amps, but this seems to be a nice one, priced at US$130.

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

I bought a Electric Avenues model, and am looking forward to receiving it soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, it's a great time to be new to headphone amps with all of the options in my budget. What kind of headphones will you be powering w/ the Electric Ave amp? Will you be using it w/ a PC? Let me know what you think of it because I'm very close to getting one of my own.

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 169
Fred
HI: How ae you? I am using the PocketAmp 2 version 2 with my portable radio and senn. 590 with replacement cable 39" from headphile. I gave the amp a 100 hour burn in and the amp sounds great. Also I bought 2 AA recharble batt at ratshack and they charge in the amp when you listen to it with the wal-wart. Read the web site on batt.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #35 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
Fred
HI: How ae you? I am using the PocketAmp 2 version 2 with my portable radio and senn. 590 with replacement cable 39" from headphile. I gave the amp a 100 hour burn in and the amp sounds great. Also I bought 2 AA recharble batt at ratshack and they charge in the amp when you listen to it with the wal-wart. Read the web site on batt.

I'm doing great. Thanks for the feedback on the Elec Ave. Charging while you use the amp AC is a great design feature.

Have you tried any other amps before deciding on the Elec Ave? I'm currently emailing other manufacturers in the under $300 price range inquiring about return policies so I can test a few amps side-by-side before keeping one.

I'd like to buy w/ my ears instead of only my eyes but my eyes are sure liking what they see in the features of the $70 amp you picked up. I can't wait to try that baby out!

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #36 of 169
Fred
HI: If you buy from the web site. E-Mail the builder the amp is only 60.00 + 4.00 air shipping from him.

I have owned the Total airhead, supreme, cmoy, meta42, pimeta, PPA, Super mini V3 up to V62D and a few that I forget about. LOL.

I like the small and inexpensive PocketAmp 2 version 2 at this time for its great price and cool features. I am using a portable radio and the pocketAmp 2 V2 is all that I need for that rig.

I have spent much more money on amps and find that they were not nessary for me and my sony 500 watt stereo receiver headphone jack is all I really need with its great power and great sound.

I only needed a portable amp that was not too much money and presto the PocketAmp2 V2 came into play. I would like to say that XIN has priced his amps out of my price range no matter how good they are. I mean how much does one spend for a portable radio to amp? Also the PocketAmp2 V2 poweres my 590 with power to spare.

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 169
LTUCCI1924,

I'm looking to power my notoriously hard to drive k501's but don't want to go over board. Just need something to give a little kick to my work PC. Yes I'm lucky enough to be able to wear open, full sized cans at work
tongue.gif
The xin Supermacro's are kinda pricy to me too even though I've read they do wonders for the k501's.

Maxi Moy is another I'll be trying as the builder tells me it suits high imp phones, like my AKG's, well and he has a friendly return policy.

How do you think the Elec Ave compares to the Total airhaed and Cmoy you've owned?

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #38 of 169
Fred
HI: The total airhead was an old one and not very good at that. The cmoy I sold real fast. The PocketAmp2 V2 is the first inexpensive amp that I really like. Just my opinion. The 501 might need a little better power though. My senn. 590 are only 120 ohms. The BASIC amp with more power would be a Pimeta if the P/A2 is not enough power or a used meta42. But they are not as small or have the features of the pocketAmp2 V2 has.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #39 of 169
FRED
HI: This is from the web site.
In the tradition of high-end audio systems, critical components are joined with thick, point to point traces for maximum conductivity. The amp can also be used to power speakers, not only headphones. You really will be surprised at how much power it can output for such a small device. This amplifier works great with all types of headphones including those made by Grado, Sennheiser, Koss, Sony, Etymotic, Shure, AKG, and many more. Please do this amp justice and use it with a nice pair of headphones.

Most portable devices have an output power between 5 to 10 milliwatts which is too weak to power a decent pair of headphones. This amplifier has a true output power of over 200 milliwatts RMS (almost 1/4 watt!), making the music louder by a factor of 610%. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is 100 dB. Actually, with the volume turned on maximum, and no music playing, there is no static sound or hiss, which is something desirable. Building an extremely quiet, low distortion amplifier was a high priority.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #40 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
Wow, it's a great time to be new to headphone amps with all of the options in my budget. What kind of headphones will you be powering w/ the Electric Ave amp? Will you be using it w/ a PC? Let me know what you think of it because I'm very close to getting one of my own.

I have two pairs of Sennheisers currently, an old HD425, and a lighter HD495 I got for portable use. The 425 is 600 Ohms impedance, and a hard to drive phone. I am hoping the PocketAmp will be able to work with these two.
wink.gif

Nice to see LTUCCI1924 is already using it - mine is in the mail, but didn't come in this weekend, bummer. Monday probably. I was quite impressed by the specs and detailed website, and the seller was very good, attentive and quick. He's a young Electrical Engineer.

Fred, I noticed above that you have a pair of AKG K501s - this is on my wish list for a loong time, and I now found suppliers in my area I can buy them from. How do you like them? I heard good comments on them, but there seems to be some people not interested in them.

My favourite music includes Classical, Jazz, vocals, and folk, not much into loud or rock at this time.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you think the K501s would work for me?

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #41 of 169
blitze,
I'll try to keep this short as this is an amp post.

Being new to the headphone hi-fi thing and only having a pair of koss cans from the 80's before the 501's, I don't have a lot to base my opinion on, but...

They are favoured by classical lovers (which can be a hard to please if not "picky" crowd). My home system as well as a couple of boom boxes I have can bring the volume up as loud as I want but they are lacking in bass and what I'd call over all "pop". They are supposed to take up to 300 hours of burn-in though but they feel so comfortable that I'm being patient with them.

I think they haven't come close to the potential that burn-in time and the right amp will give them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'll let you know as time goes by and I sample different amps.

If your thinking of headphones as a way of not bothering anyone else with your music, think about a more closed set as anyone in the same room (or if the door is open, the next room!) will know what song your listening to.

Oh yeah, forget about powering them w/ a PC or portable alone. They crave power and will need an amp.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #42 of 169
I'm confused.
confused.gif
What amp are you suggesting be added to the list?

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #43 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I'm confused.
confused.gif
What amp are you suggesting be added to the list?

If you mean fred, I don't he's recommendiing any amp. It appears he's talking about his koss phones from way back when, and recom. them.

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #44 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
If you mean fred, I don't he's recommendiing any amp. It appears he's talking about his koss phones from way back when, and recom. them.

Sorry about that. Blitze was asking me what I thought about my K501's (which I'm trying to get an amp for) and I kind of babbled an answer back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back