Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,786 of 4,373

I really wish ML would come out with an over the ear version of the Mikros (something more comfortable that would not shift around).

I wonder how they would compare to the P7 and the HP50.  

Just a sneak peak, while I like the ML's I still think the P7 and HP50s are the better headphones.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,787 of 4,373
  Just a sneak peak, while I like the ML's I still think the P7 and HP50s are the better headphones.

Based on the whole enchilada (looks, comfort, sq), or strictly on sound alone?

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,789 of 4,373
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,790 of 4,373
Macedonian hero, great write-ups of the latest headphones so far!

Have you heard of the harman kardon cl or soho? Will you be able to add the harman kardon CL later on If you didn't hear them? It is going near mikros 90 price and may sound pretty good from what I read so far!

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,791 of 4,373
Macedonian hero, great write-ups of the latest headphones so far!

Will you be able to add the harman kardon CL later on? It is going near mikros 90 price and may sound pretty good from what I read so far!

I think I'm kinda done buying new ones...but if anyone wants to send me some to audition, I'm game.
smile.gif
 I am however very intrigued by the Focal Classics. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,796 of 4,373
  I think I'm kinda done buying new ones...but if anyone wants to send me some to audition, I'm game.
smile.gif
 I am however very intrigued by the Focal Classics. 

I am also intrigued by the Focal Classics.  Unfortunately I have not been able to audition them yet.  The nearest authorized reseller is almost 100 miles from where I live.  I would make the trip but I am still waiting for them to be in stock.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,797 of 4,373
I picked up a pair of Meelec Atlas headphone, a pail blue pair with butterflies for my wife which she just loves. Sonically I was surprised how good they sounded. They are V shaped but not at the expense of the midrange. Strong powerful bass with nice articulate treble. She was grinning from ear to ear all night. They have more traditional color schemes but the blue ones I bought or very pretty and feminine. Sound wise they have a larger open sound stage with very nice detail but are not isolating which probably attributes to their open sound. I found them reasonably comfortable and she really enjoyed them comfort wise because she does not wear glasses.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,799 of 4,373
Just recently ordered the focal classics, then the Pro was on stock for 220 USD, so I went for it instead. Good sound, but slightly bright. Soundstaging isn't that great but i'm comparing to HD650... Great clarity but they sound a bit like Ety's - flat and wide...

I do find that I put them on an an hour later my ears are kinda sore, no issue with the sound signature. The brightness makes me turn the volume down, which IMO is a good thing.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,800 of 4,373

I did not detect any harshness with the H6. More so with the P7, which was borderline strident for me, but still somewhat acceptable. This from several audtions at the Apple Store with the X3. So not conclusive at all.

I tried P7 twice with various tracks and types of music and I also found that these headphones have problematic treble. When the volume is cranked up loud the upper register of the women's vocals turns shrill to such a degree that I'll say that on loud volume these headphones are plain unbearable to listen to. I tried them in the Future Shop and I enquired about the sound source and about the amplification. I was told that sound + amplification was set up personally by the Bowers & Wilkins technical personnel. If that is the best B&W can make then these headphones are a failure. I know that practically nobody listens to music on loud volume all the times but once in a while one wants to turn it up on some tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back