Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,816 of 4,373
  I'd go with the Martin Logan Mikros 90.  I prefer them to the m500 and m80 (haven't heard the M100 in a while) and they isolate much better.

hm.. i posted in the kef m500 thread and waynes world said the same thing, coincidence?? lol you guys aren't the same person are you? haha i kidd but actually isolate well for once (for on ears anyway) and they sound like the gr07be? really hm... some research is needed.

the design isnt really my thing but they aren't ugly thats for sure i'm not sure i'm suave enough to pull it off like the bowers and wilkins p5 look as well

but wonder why its so cheap now lol is there a manufacturing defect? i actually haven't really heard of them before (they were like 300$ msrp the last time i checked)

do you have any personal experience with the mikros?

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,817 of 4,373
  hm.. i posted in the kef m500 thread and waynes world said the same thing, coincidence?? lol you guys aren't the same person are you? haha i kidd but actually isolate well for once (for on ears anyway) and they sound like the gr07be? really hm... some research is needed.

the design isnt really my thing but they aren't ugly thats for sure i'm not sure i'm suave enough to pull it off like the bowers and wilkins p5 look as well

but wonder why its so cheap now lol is there a manufacturing defect? i actually haven't really heard of them before (they were like 300$ msrp the last time i checked)

do you have any personal experience with the mikros?

Believe Trunks.

They are so cheap because Martin Logan discontinued the model.    They isolate well and they sound exactly like the GR07 MKII. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,818 of 4,373

Believe Trunks.

They are so cheap because Martin Logan discontinued the model.    They isolate well and they sound exactly like the GR07 MKII. 

oh my... i was debating a while back if i should get the mkII (loved the sound but wondered how a bit less bass compared to my gr07 be would sound like)  because the newer version discontinued the bio cellulose drivers and they sound different (putting a lot of people off) 

and now theres a on ear version of that magnificent iem?

much researching now indeed. i see them on sonic electronix for 99$ compare to the 274 i was about to drop for the kef m500 (same website) or the vmoda xs probably 230-250 on vmoda.com thats coming out in a few weeks...

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,819 of 4,373
  oh my... i was debating a while back if i should get the mkII (loved the sound but wondered how a bit less bass compared to my gr07 be would sound like)  because the newer version discontinued the bio cellulose drivers and they sound different (putting a lot of people off) 

much researching now indeed. i see them on sonic electronix for 99$ compare to the 274 i was about to drop for the kef m500 (same website) or the vmoda xs probably 230-250 on vmoda.com thats coming out in a few weeks...

A few bassheads in the Mikros 90 thread have mentioned that the 90s have enough bass to satisfy their needs, so I believe you will happy with the bass.  The isolation is superb, the price is ridiculous and the build quality is excellent (a lot of metal and leather).   What more does a growing boy need?

I forgot...Martin Logan's customer service is out of these world.  A couple of owners (myself included) asked about buying replacement pads and ML sent them to us free.  Today a guy who screwed up his Mikros when he tried to mod it reported that ML is going to replace it for free (he informed them of his failed modding attempt). 

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,820 of 4,373
Hi im a fellow torontoian as well! Im interested in the kef m500s from ur review but u said it doesnt isolate enough, do u mean for airplane use?

Im a university student travelling on the ttc bus and subway. Is it enough to block out the external noise, without killing your ears??

They're not the greatest at isolation on the TTC. But that can be an advantage as I find total isolation when walking around a bit scary. I like to be able to hear things like the subway or bus coming. On a plane, the M500s are definitely a no-go IMO.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,821 of 4,373

A few bassheads in the Mikros 90 thread have mentioned that the 90s have enough bass to satisfy their needs, so I believe you will happy with the bass.  The isolation is superb, the price is ridiculous and the build quality is excellent (a lot of metal and leather).   What more does a growing boy need?

I forgot...Martin Logan's customer service is out of these world.  A couple of owners (myself included) asked about buying replacement pads and ML sent them to us free.  Today a guy who screwed up his Mikros when he tried to mod it reported that ML is going to replace it for free (he informed them of his failed modding attempt). 

hm..  i would like to buy a spare earpad in advance, because you never know if they just break down one day i actually need it and they don't have any left soo that would suck (cause their already discontinuing it) 

hm... i'll give the company an email right now see if we can arrange something. it would be a shame if something this nice premium feeling were to get thrown away. 

personally i don't listen to music loud so if i throw away a pair of headphones its because of the build (i take care of my stuff too or try as much as i can)

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,822 of 4,373

hm..  i would like to buy a spare earpad in advance, because you never know if they just break down one day i actually need it and they don't have any left soo that would suck (cause their already discontinuing it) 

hm... i'll give the company an email right now see if we can arrange something. it would be a shame if something this nice premium feeling were to get thrown away. 

personally i don't listen to music loud so if i throw away a pair of headphones its because of the build (i take care of my stuff too or try as much as i can)

There are many 3rd party pads you can buy.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,823 of 4,373
  There are many 3rd party pads you can buy.

really? i've been researching these since i saw your message, (your a powerful man) i haven't seen anything of that sort

of anyone selling these earpads, i ended up msging martin logan i'll have to see tmr or the day after the reply

3rd party? alter the sound? these earpads look sooo soo cushy! 

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,824 of 4,373
   really? i've been researching these since i saw your message, (your a powerful man) i haven't seen anything of that sort

of anyone selling these earpads, i ended up msging martin logan i'll have to see tmr or the day after the reply

3rd party? alter the sound? these earpads look sooo soo cushy! 

They are cushy and comfy...that is why I haven't bothered with trying other pads.  Some owners have successfully changed the pads. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,825 of 4,373

Yup! They have awesome bass. And pair them up with something like the C&C BH amp, and they really sound magical. If you want even more bass (to brain crushing levels), mods are available. But not required at all.

As you know, I have both the M500`s and the 90`s. To me, they are equally awesome. Some others think the 90`s are better. So yeah, you can save yourself a bunch of dough for equal SQ if you want to. Also you will get better isolation and a firmer fit on the head, at the expense of some comfort. Having said that, I wear my 90`s for hours (happily).

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,826 of 4,373

Not failed, it was performed correctly. The headphone just didn't respond the same way it did for other people for some reason.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,827 of 4,373
Yup! They have awesome bass. And pair them up with something like the C&C BH amp, and they really sound magical. If you want even more bass (to brain crushing levels), mods are available. But not required at all.

As you know, I have both the M500`s and the 90`s. To me, they are equally awesome. Some others think the 90`s are better. So yeah, you can save yourself a bunch of dough for equal SQ if you want to. Also you will get better isolation and a firmer fit on the head, at the expense of some comfort. Having said that, I wear my 90`s for hours (happily).

Im not really gonna be listening them longer than 1-2hrs anyway so comfort isnt a huge factor (obviously it would be nice).

Im still try to really like looks(still not completely sold on the design), i can appreciate its design but not to the point of actually dropping the cash on it.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,828 of 4,373
Hello,

I've been looking at getting a pair of headphones that is the kind described here. I want them to be my all-around pair, and since that includes using them on public transit, they should most definitely be closed and at least somewhat portable. I think this also means that they should be around-ear, but I'm willing to consider on-ear too if it satisfies everything.

Here are my priorities:

1. Isolation. I do not want these to leak noise if I use them in public, in either a very noisy bus or a very quiet library.

2. Comfort. I want to be able to wear these for a long period of time and not get sore or feel squished or anything. I bought a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs and they were so stupidly uncomfortable I had to return them. My ears aren't huge but I just couldn't stand them.

3. Sound. I listen to rock, metal, and electronic music, so bass and mids are important.I have low standards since I've never owned a decent pair of headphones, but I'd just like to be "wowed". I want the sound to be distinct but powerful yet clear, you know? No more of that muddy mushy garbage. I am not planning on using an amp but would consider it if it's cheap and portable and a good value for what it adds.

4. Build. I treat my headphones very well. They will not get abused. However, I will be walking with them outside in cold Michigan winters, so if some light snow or sub-10° temperatures would destroy them, that's not good. But if this is a deciding factor, let me know, because I can accommodate at least the snow part by wearing a hood or hat. Not sure what I can do about the cold, but then again I'm not sure what the effects of cold are on headphones.

5. Looks. Honestly, I just don't want to look ridiculous wearing these in public. That's my only requirement here.

6. Price. Not really an issue. I'll pay as long as I'm getting what I pay for.

I've researched and considered the B&W P7s, the Sony MDR 1RS, the NAD HP50s, Focal Spirit Classic/Professional, PSB M4U 1/2, and more others than any sane person should have to consider. Pleeease tell me what I want.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #1,829 of 4,373
^ I've heard MANY great things about the Focal's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back