Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #1,636 of 4,373
Wow, every time I think i have it narrowed down to just a few I always get recomended some more amazing sounding heaadphones.

I guess now I am between: hp50, sony 7520, and the m100.

one the m100 site it says, "
Ultra Wide Clarity & Vivid Midrange​
… crystal clear vocals and instruments, crisp percussion.  Sound as it was meant to sound..."​
 Cyrstal clear sound is always what I like to hear, my Senheisers HD 25-1 iis get a bit grainy on some synths and there isn't much instrument separation. I feel like I need something crisper and with more isolation.

From what you said, the 7520 has more bass than the hp50 (that's good), but is their anything the hp50 does better? I might still get the hp50 cause the bigger sound stage, but if the 7520 or m100 sound a lot more immersive I might go with those. Anyone have input? I'll keep trying to find and read as many reviews as I can. Also I should mention, I don't care about comfort/design/portability at all, only sound.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,637 of 4,373
  Wow, every time I think i have it narrowed down to just a few I always get recomended some more amazing sounding heaadphones.

… crystal clear vocals and instruments, crisp percussion.  Sound as it was meant to sound..."​
 Cyrstal clear sound is always what I like to hear, my Senheisers HD 25-1 iis get a bit grainy on some synths and there isn't much instrument separation. I feel like I need something crisper and with more isolation.

From what you said, the 7520 has more bass than the hp50 (that's good), but is their anything the hp50 does better? I might still get the hp50 cause the bigger sound stage, but if the 7520 or m100 sound a lot more immersive I might go with those. Anyone have input? I'll keep trying to find and read as many reviews as I can. Also I should mention, I don't care about comfort/design/portability at all, only sound.

Everytime I consider selling my M100, I end up keeping it.  It's just that every so often I just think there is simply too much bass.  I like my bass...no doubt, but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming.  It definitely is one of the widest closed headphones around...and most reviews agree with that.  The beauty of the M100 is the 60 day test drive policy...buy it from them (Amazon seems to be sketchy lately) and use it and see if you like it.

Quite a few people need the XL pads as well because it makes them a bit wider and deeper...so if you've got medium or large ears, you'll likely need the same.  The 7520s are simply the most comfy headphones I've ever tried...the pads are nice and wide, and fit easily around my medium sized ears...which is a huge plus in it's column.

Admittedly, I didn't spend much time with the HP50 as I borrowed it from a friend and couldn't stand the way it looked so I was probably soured on the sound because of it.  So don't take anything I say about it, as gospel.  Others have used and loved it more than I.

I've got both the 7520 and the M100 in my house right now, hooked up to a C5D amp out of my Macbook as we speak and I simply cannot decide between the two headphones.  I suppose if I could only have one, it would still be the 7520 because I never wish for anything different in the sound...it always sounds good.  The only real spot it falls short of the M100 is in portability and size.  Its slightly bigger and doesn't fold into the tiny little package the M100 does.  Oh, and the stock cable sucks.  Way too big for portable use.  Luckily you can use virtually any cable with it as the port isn't recessed.

So yeah...you're in for a treat with either headphone, or really any on this list, but I'd just continue to look up the 7520, M100 and the HP50 if you like the bass.  The P7 is supposed to be good on the low end as well, but they fit me terribly so they didn't last long in my testing either.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,639 of 4,373

Haha I love how the dude said he didn't care about design and comfort but we're all counting it as a factor (comfort especially, for me, should be big factor... And those hp50's really do look atrocious). Anyway I'd just like to weigh in by unhelpfully adding the P7 to that list. While I found one of the P7's biggest (and only) shortcoming-in-sound to be the boomy bass, you might actually like that; it has a nice soundstage for closed-back, and is quite detailed too (and is really sexy). As for my current favorite headphone, the H6... you definitely won't like that. It has the perfect design and comfort that you don't want, and a not-emphasized bass that you also don't want (though the deep bass actually hits quite uh deeply).

I also recommend you try these headphones, as only you can tell what you're looking for. And seeing how portability, comfort, and design isn't for you, closed-portables aren't your only option.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,640 of 4,373
The sony 7520 IMO looks like a big piece of crap on and off the head. It definitely gives the HP50 a run for its uglyness.
Yea but I think there's something more saddening seeing a more modern-looking hideous device -- that even attempts to be a "fashion forward" -- on someone's head. The Sony doesn't look too great but at least it's old and looks old so it's fitting, and classic-ish looking (to be fair both of them sound fantastic).

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,641 of 4,373
  They're about as borderline as I'd like to go with regards to size. I'd hate to start including headphones like the D7000s and TH900s in this thread.

That would be my ultimate dream for this thread (although I have got more than enough satisfaction out of it in its currents state). I wish you had defined portable more technically, in terms of its easiness to drive. From my point of view, whether I'm listening to a TH900 or an on-ear momentum I'm not putting it in my pocket when I'm done - it's either going around the neck or in a bag.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,642 of 4,373

Everything you've said in this thread makes me think you'd love the P7s. I would expect you to hate the H6s and, frankly, I don't dig their sound signature for the price either. I thought their soundstaging was exceptional and the detail excellent, but I found them thin and shrill and uninvolving, lacking bass in most areas and hurting my ears with the treble in some others. Admittedly, I've listened to them in a loud environment all 4/5 times I've tested them, but to me the P7s on are a clear winner on 8/10 tracks despite their infuriating bass hump (not infuriating because it's insanely bad, but infuriating because without it they'd be a near  flawless portable in my eyes. I could see the H6s if I were solely listening to classical or acoustic tracks, that's about it really. Maybe tracks where having a forward vocalist is key, like in Floyd's 'Great Gig in the Sky'. These are the areas that the P7s fall down in for me. For everything else, they sound much richer, more involving, appropriately sparkled up top and always more present.

I'm dying to try the HP50s but I cannot find anywhere in Sydney. Everything I've read about them makes me think I'd like them at least as much as the P7s, though on the other hand if I only went off what I read here I wouldn't hesitate to order a pair of H6s when in reality I would never pay the $500 that are asked for them here.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,643 of 4,373
I keep reading how unattractive the HP50 is. I must not know how to judge the physical beauty of headphones, because they look fine to me. Then again, my main concerns are comfort and sound. Next to the X1, the HP50 is the comfortable headphone I own. And the sound is fantastic!

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,644 of 4,373
I keep reading how unattractive the HP50 is. I must not know how to judge the physical beauty of headphones, because they look fine to me. Then again, my main concerns are comfort and sound. Next to the X1, the HP50 is the comfortable headphone I own. And the sound is fantastic!

There are very few front on pics of people wearing the HP50s. Would you be willing to contribute one?

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,645 of 4,373

in short: A good monitor/mixing/listening headphone with the clearest highs, mids, trebble, big soundstage, but also the most bass quantity.

I've heard all 3 of those and none compare , to me, to the Thinksound On1. Best bass of the bunch and it doesn't hide or hurt the mids and highs. Definitely should be on your list if you value bass and want to keep the accuracy and tonality of your music and the voices.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,646 of 4,373

In person, the HP50 is a fairly fancy looking headphone. Nothing special (plastic and pleather aren't exactly inviting to the touch), but not without taste either. 

But the look of the headband on your head... why? Why design a headband like that? 
blink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,648 of 4,373

Well I know some headphones are described as bass-light, others say they have a bit of bass boost but it doesn't disturb the mids. I've been searching these forums for probably an accumulative total of 10-15 hours or so this week trying to find a good pair to buy in the 300-400$ range. I narrowed it  down to:

out of the Viso Hp 50, B&O H6, Sennheiser 595, HD8 DJ and any similar headphone, and I guess I want to know which of these keeps great sound quality without being bass-light. If theres some rumble with the bass than I can really enjoy EDM and dub step, but I still want to be able to hear rock and folk without the bass drowning it out..From what I read the HP 50 can do this, but I'd like to hear about the 595 or HD8 DJ. Or any other similar headphone that fits these needs.

in short: A good monitor/mixing/listening headphone with the clearest highs, mids, trebble, big soundstage, but also the most bass quantity.

You mention monitoring and mixing.  I assume you are creating music for other people to listen to ......right?  Then asking for a headphone with "the most bass quantity"  and mentioning Beats as a reference is counterintuitive to your desire to produce music people will actually listen to.  Well maybe they will listen to it, but it will not be close to being "right".

Think for a moment if you are creating tracks with a headphone that is bassy.  You adjust your eq and recording to have it sound good through your headphones.  Only they are way bassy and when you finalize your mastering and get it down to a format that you can share with friends or a recording company and they listen they will may say something like  "Nice but where is the bass?"  Amongst other things, you want a headphone to be as neutral as possible if you are going to use it to mix or monitor recording of tracks.

In your price range there are two that stand out and can do a decent job (I am a firm believer that you cannot solely mix on headphones, you have to use speakers as well if you want it "right".

they are the aforementioned Sony 7520 and the Focal Spirit Professional.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back