Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,666 of 4,373
  I've heard the HP50s. Don't like it. I have the On1 now which I do like. This is coming from a current SigPro user.

The On1 is comfortable and light with a SQ I prefer. 

Do the On1's have more bass quantity than the HP50s? And have you heard Sennheiser HD25-1 iis? If yes, do the HP50 and On1 have more bass quantity than those?

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,667 of 4,373

Eric, how would you compare the Onkyo's and the ThinkSounds? Are the TS worth 100 dollars more than the Onkyos? 

I loved the Onkyos sound signature but the comfort wasn't great and they could have used a little bigger soundstage

Yes, the On1 has better clarity, imaging, and more natural sounding bass than the Onkyos. TS is just overall a better natural sounding headphone. 

As to which one is better between the On1 and the Hp50, that's not easy to answer. This is where - to me - it comes down to sound signature preference. I probably enjoy both equally, and there's no similarities I can really think of. On1 has the more natural sounding but boosted bass. The HP50 is, however, is more comfortable to me (being an over the ear vs. on the ear headphone).

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,668 of 4,373
You guys shouldn't overlook the HD25 Alu. A fun sounding hp with realistic timbre.
And it looks good on my head. 

I listened to almost every phone on the list and would rank it over B&W P7(sounds unnatural due to the treble), 
MDR-1( metallic sound and the ankled drivers touched my ears, itching ears), momentum(bass kinda all over the place and rolled off treble), DT1350(telefonic mids).
The only bad thing would be the soundstage. If you like the HD25, you should definitely give the Alu a Chance :) I just love the sound signature.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,669 of 4,373
You guys shouldn't overlook the HD25 Alu. A fun sounding hp with realistic timbre.
And it looks good on my head. 

I listened to almost every phone on the list and would rank it over B&W P7(sounds unnatural due to the treble), 
MDR-1( metallic sound and the ankled drivers touched my ears, itching ears), momentum(bass kinda all over the place and rolled off treble), DT1350(telefonic mids).
The only bad thing would be the soundstage. If you like the HD25, you should definitely give the Alu a Chance :) I just love the sound signature.

My opinion, the HD25 was sibilant and uncomfortable to wear. The P7s are heads and shoulders above it.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,672 of 4,373
But I still think the HP50 has good bass.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,673 of 4,373
Perfect closed/portables:

P7s/ES10s with the comfort of the Bose AE2/QC15
P5s with the sound of the P7s
HP50s with a better headband design
H6s 
tongue.gif

edit: H6s with less pressure and more extended bass.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,675 of 4,373
  Well I've been listening to the Martin Logan Mikros 90s (thanks again to Dave: Beagle) for sending them down the 401! Getting the fit is a bit finicky on them, but once you figure out how to get them settled on your head, they're pretty good comfort wise.

Right off the bat, wow...such a big sound from such a small pair of headphones! More to come....

I'm not sure if you are interested, but @Maxx134 appears to have come up with a very simple yet potentially very good mod for the Mikros 90's for those who would like more bass out of them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/1515#post_10272835

I don't have my 90's yet, but those mods looks simple enough that even I could handle it them. Here's some impressions from  @YEYimeh after doing the mods:
Update on my initial impression of my (now modded) Mikros 90 vs HP 50 (for those who’re interested).

Mikros now give an overall fuller sound, due to increase in amount of bass, and an overall more enjoyable sonic signature imo. Bass quantity on both headphones is now comparable but the bass on HP 50 doesn’t reach quite as deep as on Mikors.

Midrange on both headphones is very good. Initially, I thought that the midrange presentation on Mikros is slightly more forward than on HP 50s; however after doing the mod, midrange on Mikros does recess a little bit putting the midrange presentation on both headphones to about the same level. Both do give a very clear and open midrange however, is a slight difference, probably due to treble quality/presentation, that gives me the feeling that Mikros have a more “musical” tonality while HP 50s have a more “neutral” tonality.  

Treble is where Mikros really shine. To me, highs on Mikros have a better resolution, extension and a more airy feel. Treble on HP 50 is ultimately lacking those airy feel that Mikros have, thus making it, for me, sound slightly less refined.

While both are very good headphones and are very well worth their asking price, I feel that, price and sound quality wise, Mikors is a better headphone, for general music listening, for me. Currently, I listen to most of my music on Mikros while I sometime switch to HP50s for a more “neutral” feel.

Ps. I found that by removing the entire adhesive tape that covered the back of the driver gave me too much bass. Instead I use a small needle to create a hole on the tape then put a small cotton pad into the cup, which gave me a right amount of bass. Those who are already satisfied with the amount of bass on mikros do not need to do the mod as it won’t change anything else except the quantity of bass.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,677 of 4,373

Thanks. How about comfort wise. Which do you find more comfortable for extended use?

The On1 (when I don't have my glasses on). I think the On1 overall. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,678 of 4,373
^^ I love how well the on1's transitions from pop/rock to classical and especially acoustic guitars and other wooden instruments.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,679 of 4,373
This thread (I think I mentioned it in my first post) was for closed/portable headphones for on-the-go only. So for now I suppose, I'd like to keep it on that topic. :xf_eek:

Full sized and portables don't really mix IMO. Do you have any in mind?

Macedonia, I just find that every headphone is differ from size although they're the over-ear. And I just find V-moda had been selling an XL-ear pad to compensate the original size of its headphone. So what do you think is the proper size of a over-ear portable headphone ?

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,680 of 4,373
^^ I love how well the on1's transitions from pop/rock to classical and especially acoustic guitars and other wooden instruments.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back