Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,607 of 4,373
Hello,

Go for the 1R for more mids centric, smooth and detailed. 1R also offer wider soundstage, imaging, tighter bass. However, Momentum wins in deep sub bass and powerful. Momentum also offer more balanced and natural sound than the slightly colored sound of 1R. The Momentum will sound warmer and darker.

In terms of comfort, I find the 1R way more comfortable than the on-ear like feeling of Momentum as I have slightly bigger ears

If you want natural sound, go for Momentum. If you want wider soundstage, go for 1R.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

when it comes to shear sound quality momentum wins , right ? my ears are like 72mm , remember sho9560 , its an on ear for me and i got no problem with on ear phones at all and yes sound stage matters , but how bigger or wider it is ?
  Subjective much.

Sonically I found them to be different enough, especially the Momentum's superior sub bass extension. Also if you're lucky enough to have ears like mine (around 65mm tall), you'll find them to be no less comfortable than the Sonys. 

Is it worth $40 more? Personally speaking "yes." Others with big ears will say "no."

let me see if i can get that extra money .
  You're going to be happier with the 1R. The sonics aren't that far apart from the Momentum, but it's miles ahead in the comfort department, especially if you're someone with bigger ears. As far as imaging goes, I think that's something the 1R does better than the Momentum.

thanks guys , i like imaging and sound stage more then sonicality . im not a hard core purist , yes some times i take a walk in the er-4p lane but most of the time i listen to xba-3 ( recessed mids )or h1 ( not so good highs , fun and really enjoyable ) or she9850 ( mid centric more analytical type ) .

thanks again for your feed back guys . thank you .

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #1,609 of 4,373
MacedonianHero,I've found you just change the comfort of P7 from 5 to 3.5, is that mean it is not so comfortable? Any details?

While I'm not the OP, I have demoed both headphones and found that while the P7's are more comfortable than most headphones on here (esp. the almost-on-ear Sennheiser Momentum for me), the leather was a bit too firm, the clamping was a bit to strong, and the heavy headband became a big problem quite quickly. Thus, subjectively, when faced against the unbelievably comfortable B&O H6 it shouldn't be rated a 5.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,611 of 4,373
MacedonianHero,I've found you just change the comfort of P7 from 5 to 3.5, is that mean it is not so comfortable? Any details?

I had to readjust them after I got the H6s and HP50s. All scores are bound to change as new data comes in. 
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,613 of 4,373
Thanks OP. Finally got the H6's. The comfort and openness is pretty amazing. Definitely would recommend over the Momentum and P7.

Let me ask you this though. Since we're talking portability, what did you think of how the SQ maintained among the 3 you mentioned (P7, H6, Momentum) during commutes - be it train, bus, or air travel?

I really enjoyed demoing the H6 as well, but because of its bass characteristic (some say lack of bass), I felt it did not fare too well in the hustle and bustle of commuting. At home, in a quiet space, sure I can see it doing really well against the other two. For me, the P7s win out for commuting.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,614 of 4,373
Let me ask you this though. Since we're talking portability, what did you think of how the SQ maintained among the 3 you mentioned (P7, H6, Momentum) during commutes - be it train, bus, or air travel?

I really enjoyed demoing the H6 as well, but because of its bass characteristic (some say lack of bass), I felt it did not fare too well in the hustle and bustle of commuting. At home, in a quiet space, sure I can see it doing really well against the other two. For me, the P7s win out for commuting.

I've thought about this too. While I loved the look and luxury of the Momentums I found them pretty impractical for portable use. With that said they were okay on the move but the sound signature wasn't for me. The P7's is a good compromise (I liked that the soundstage was larger), and the harsher boomier (not sure if that makes sense... maybe more emphasized?) bass would probably make for a more immediate mobile experience. Despite that, I actually found the bass -- especially the deep bass -- to be pretty satisfying on the H6's. It was a bit jarring at first (esp. when demoing) when some tracks felt like they lacked the proper "punch" but after a few hours I realized that the bass is actually quite detailed, it's just not as emphasized as every other portable on the market. So I find that they actually work pretty well on the move. They noise -isolate just fine and are still more satisfying to me soundwise than the P7 (to my tastes)... I didn't lose much on the commute.

Also, the P7's are a lot bulkier and stand out a lot more in public (they really protrude out of my ears)... if that matters to you.

Hopefully I made some sense I'm new here haha.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,615 of 4,373

I haven't heard them yet (in a state of delivery), but some feel that burn-in effects them in a very positive way. And then there's the talk of alternate cables.. and as trunks mentioned: amping.

I know there are many people curious about burn in, the argumentation in some board such as avsforum will like the war
biggrin.gif

I order my Mikros 90 on Black Friday. Last month my friend asked me that he want a portable phones to use with his Galaxy Note 2, so I recommended Mikros 90 to him and ordered one for him.

Last week his Mikros arrived, he picked it up at my home. So, I ask him to try his new phones.

My friend is not interest in this hobby and absolutely not audiophile. I let him listen single track repeat it for three times to make sure that he can remember some sound signature.

Then I let him listen to my Mykros (200+ hours) on the same track. After listen just only 20-30 seconds, he said wow, a lot of different, he can hear more details, more bass, and sound is more wider.

Some in Mikros thread report that, bass will be better after 200 hours. But I can't hear any improvement in sound after 120 hours of daily use.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,616 of 4,373
I've thought about this too. While I loved the look and luxury of the Momentums I found them pretty impractical for portable use. With that said they were okay on the move but the sound signature wasn't for me. The P7's is a good compromise (I liked that the soundstage was larger), and the harsher boomier (not sure if that makes sense... maybe more emphasized?) bass would probably make for a more immediate mobile experience. Despite that, I actually found the bass -- especially the deep bass -- to be pretty satisfying on the H6's. It was a bit jarring at first (esp. when demoing) when some tracks felt like they lacked the proper "punch" but after a few hours I realized that the bass is actually quite detailed, it's just not as emphasized as every other portable on the market. So I find that they actually work pretty well on the move. They noise -isolate just fine and are still more satisfying to me soundwise than the P7 (to my tastes)... I didn't lose much on the commute.

Also, the P7's are a lot bulkier and stand out a lot more in public (they really protrude out of my ears)... if that matters to you.

Yep, sure did. It's how we experience it that really determines what's right for us.

I was really losing the bass details on the H6 and would have to turn them quite loud to get them back in a noisy backdrop. With the P7s, it was more isolated for me and the extra heft below really dialed it in for me on the go. I do want to own both and will definitely be waiting on some sales on the H6 because I really did like them quite a bit as well. But as mentioned, more for at home listening or perhaps quieter coffee shops.

Btw, which color did you get?

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,617 of 4,373
Yep, sure did. It's how we experience it that really determines what's right for us.

I was really losing the bass details on the H6 and would have to turn them quite loud to get them back in a noisy backdrop. With the P7s, it was more isolated for me and the extra heft below really dialed it in for me on the go. I do want to own both and will definitely be waiting on some sales on the H6 because I really did like them quite a bit as well. But as mentioned, more for at home listening or perhaps quieter coffee shops.

Btw, which color did you get?

Yep I think I'm definitely in the minority in that I'm totally fine with a slightly recessed bass on the move if the other aspects of the headphones totally makes up for it (though really the bass is there). Also I should add that demoing it any other store than B&O itself really doesn't do it justice. For some reason the Apple Store demo just didn't sound right for me compared to actually putting it on (even outside). And yea I agree about the P7 I think my personal tastes are suited to something just plain neutral with little harshness and airy open soundstage, which is why the H6 is like a godsend (I mainly use these at home/coffee shops). Also I would check around the B&O stores because the salesman there often provide discounts (like 10% off) if you purchase instore.

And funny that you ask about the color. For a while I was certain about the tan and the OP even told me he's able to keep it clean and new. But I really grew to like the black version and thought it looked much better with my head (black hair, tan). And now I don't have to worry about getting it too dirty. The tan one is the best looking headphone on the market in my opinion though. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,618 of 4,373
Yep I think I'm definitely in the minority in that I'm totally fine with a slightly recessed bass on the move if the other aspects of the headphones totally makes up for it (though really the bass is there). Also I should add that demoing it any other store than B&O itself really doesn't do it justice. For some reason the Apple Store demo just didn't sound right for me compared to actually putting it on (even outside). And yea I agree about the P7 I think my personal tastes are suited to something just plain neutral with little harshness and airy open soundstage, which is why the H6 is like a godsend (I mainly use these at home/coffee shops). Also I would check around the B&O stores because the salesman there often provide discounts (like 10% off) if you purchase instore.

And funny that you ask about the color. For a while I was certain about the tan and the OP even told me he's able to keep it clean and new. But I really grew to like the black version and thought it looked much better with my head (black hair, tan). And now I don't have to worry about getting it too dirty. The tan one is the best looking headphone on the market in my opinion though. 

I prefer the black one as well. I love how the green inside the cups looks.

At the Apple store, I was able to plug the H6 directly into my DAP and another time into my GS4/Dragonfly set up. So, I was able to compare apples to apples with what I'm used to. Well, enjoy it - they're great and I get to wait a little longer. Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying my latest one - the on1s. :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,619 of 4,373
I prefer the black one as well. I love how the green inside the cups looks.

At the Apple store, I was able to plug the H6 directly into my DAP and another time into my GS4/Dragonfly set up. So, I was able to compare apples to apples with what I'm used to. Well, enjoy it - they're great and I get to wait a little longer. Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying my latest one - the on1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea it depends which one I'm looking at but I the modern/trendy/kinda retro look the black/green gives. And that's smart I didn't even realize you can unplug things at the Apple Store. 

Thanks though I'm definitely loving these and assuming comfort and style are also important I think these are definitely worth the price (as are the P7's). And those on1's look sick 

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #1,620 of 4,373

Pretty much agree with all of this. In terms of overall package, H6s seem to be the pick for me (though I am yet to try the M500s). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back