Comparison Review - Earsonics SM3 vs. Earsonics EM3 Pro vs. Earpower EP-10 Plus vs. Audeze LCD-2 vs. Beyerdynamic Tesla T1
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 63
Boy, the LCD-2's look like they're simply gigantic in person, especially when shown side by side with the Beyer T1's. Any shots of them being worn?

I guess it wouldn't be a good work can, because of the size, and also being open backed. Shame.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #32 of 63
Yea, the LCD-2 wouldn't be a good work headphone if you work with other people!  That is where the EP-10 Plus comes into play :)  Sure, it looks like a UFO landed in your ears, but the sound is fantastic!  

And I decided not to post my head with the LCD-2 on, but you couldn't see my head.  But seriously, there isn't much to see, other than it covers a much bigger area of my head and sits with the center of the ear cup further back on my head.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #33 of 63
This is a great read, Joe! Much thanks. (I have to spend yet more time with it.)

The EP-10 are fascinating. i keep thinking that they will have a FOTM quality to their appeal that will wear off but you seem to really love them...

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #34 of 63
Yes, the EP-10s are pretty interesting.  Spectacular bass for an IEM, but the tradeoff is that for me, I need to EQ them and even then the mids and treble aren't on par with the other 3 in the same price range.  But you give and take. And my big warning is you will probably need to EQ the EP-10 Plus, like I do.

I don't think the EP-10 Plus would be any more FOTM as anything else on here (if others decide to buy it).  For example, when I first started posting about the SM3 many considered it a FOTM and if I didn't have the LCD-2, EP-10 Plus, EM3 Pro, and T1, I would still be listening to the SM3 regularly.  It is not a FOTM for me, but I did find better headphones with a higher price tag.  

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #35 of 63
By FOTM, I meant exotic of sound signature and ultimately you might return to something a bit more traditional. But I accept your view. It is intriguing.

Your review of the LCD-2 is what has me most intrigued. (What I want now is a comparison of it and the Ultrasone Edition 8/9/10 as possibly my next full-size cans.)

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #36 of 63
Great review(s) Joe. Lots of info here. I'll be coming back for a reread.
BTW I find your impression of the LCD-2 and SM3 pretty much the same as mine. 
What I like most about the LCD-2 is that to me it does not change it's character at higher listening volumes. They sound fantastic played soft or loud.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #37 of 63

Quote:

What I like most about the LCD-2 is that to me it does not change it's character at higher listening volumes. They sound fantastic played soft or loud.

That sounds very appealing.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 63
Hi Joe, It's great review (comparison) and any future planning to buy JH13Pro/JH16Pro, ES5?.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #40 of 63
wow, i was just looking for such a thread - specifically comparing customs IEM to LCD-2.  

Given the seemingly eternal wait time on the JH3A i was starting to get a bit nervous about having sold my $1800 thunderpants ortho rig about 6 months ago.. wondering if there was any way that IEM's could hope to reproduce those sweet sweet ortho + tube hybrid mids, and so on..

after reading your reviews, my hope for the JH3A has been revived.  I do belive its at least quite possible that the JH3A will meet or exceed my expectations and prior ortho experience.
thanks for the great info.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #41 of 63
Much as I'm glad to read about good IEMs coming from my country, the EP-10 build quality seems (from photographs) to leave a lot to be desired.

It's one thing to claim "ESSEPI uses Sennheiser microwoofers" as the guys claim on their website (making it look like it is something officially sanctioned by the German company).

Another thing is to glue a commercially available earbud on a custom fit and sell it for hundreds of Euros. Inventive? Yes. But not something I would spend my money on. No matter the sound quality, honestly.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #44 of 63
Great Review Joe!

I like your Headphone Path right now since i am accustomed to the SQ of SM3. And I'm going to setup a LCD-Stepdance but I'm not sure for the IMOD setup since I don't know how to do it...any reference for this? I only have my Iphone 3GS right now 
frown.gif
. any DAP recommendation for SM3, EM3Pro and LCD?
ksc75smile.gif

Also getting the JH Customs (JH16 Pro) and the EM3Pro.

Sorry for my wallet. Oh well, Thanks!

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #45 of 63

Quote:
wow, i was just looking for such a thread - specifically comparing customs IEM to LCD-2.  

Given the seemingly eternal wait time on the JH3A i was starting to get a bit nervous about having sold my $1800 thunderpants ortho rig about 6 months ago.. wondering if there was any way that IEM's could hope to reproduce those sweet sweet ortho + tube hybrid mids, and so on..

after reading your reviews, my hope for the JH3A has been revived.  I do belive its at least quite possible that the JH3A will meet or exceed my expectations and prior ortho experience.
thanks for the great info.

Ah, the JH3A, hopefully some day for me!  And yes, I think customs can come close to the best headphones I have heard and could imagine the JH3A might equal them.  I have figured out that I am into convenience and IEMs give me so much more; my full sized headphones don't get much use!
Quote:
Much as I'm glad to read about good IEMs coming from my country, the EP-10 build quality seems (from photographs) to leave a lot to be desired.

It's one thing to claim "ESSEPI uses Sennheiser microwoofers" as the guys claim on their website (making it look like it is something officially sanctioned by the German company).

Another thing is to glue a commercially available earbud on a custom fit and sell it for hundreds of Euros. Inventive? Yes. But not something I would spend my money on. No matter the sound quality, honestly.

That was my initial reaction, but the beautiful music they reproduce makes me forget about the components that are used.  Part of any system is the design/assembly, and while the parts might be commonly available for little money, the result is really what matters to me.  The ear bud does seem like it is very securely attached.  I do rarely recommend the EP-10 Plus even though I enjoy them immensely due to the current sound signature.  Sergio (the designer) has told me he is working on tuning to my request and once he has it done, he will let me know.  

Quote:
Excellent review, keep it up! Really makes me want to get customs now.

Thanks, customs are awesome IMO and well worth it!

Quote:
Great Review Joe!

I like your Headphone Path right now since i am accustomed to the SQ of SM3. And I'm going to setup a LCD-Stepdance but I'm not sure for the IMOD setup since I don't know how to do it...any reference for this? I only have my Iphone 3GS right now 
frown.gif
. any DAP recommendation for SM3, EM3Pro and LCD?
ksc75smile.gif

Also getting the JH Customs (JH16 Pro) and the EM3Pro.

Sorry for my wallet. Oh well, Thanks!

Thanks!  I too, at some point hopefully this year, will get the JH16.  There are so many customs out there and like universals, I want to try them all :wink:  Of course, I am going to post my thoughts about each on head-fi!

As far as DAPs go, the iPhone isn't bad for on the go and actually, another custom I am currently writing the review for, the Fabs-fabulous earphones I think sounds best straight from my iPhone 3G.  IMO, if you go lossless (if you haven't already) you will reap a big benefit with customs.  Of course, the LCD-2 does need an amp, and an iMod (or DIY modded iPod) works well with the LCD-2.  I haven't paired my 601 with the LCD-2 yet, so I can't comment on that.  The HUD-MX1 -> Stepdance is a good combo depending on the op amp, and I have the opa1611 in mine (same as the Stepdance) which I like.  I do want to try a music streamer+ for my desktop setup, but as stated above, the LCD-2 is in its box most of the time.  I guess to finish my long winded response, my DIY iPod sounds best when critically listening, and the 601 headphone out sounds amazing with the EM3, but I do have an issue with the 601 that I am discussing with Fang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back