[Comparison] ATH-CK10 vs UE TF10 (Lots of pics...56k Warning!)
Jan 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #62 of 100
Haha
wink.gif

Looking forward for your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #63 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some say the CK10s are bass lite, but I guess I have to hear it for myself. This would make a nice collection: Custom TF10s, W2s, CK10s and PR1 Pros. Perfect quartet, no?

Nice collection indeed. The bass can seem light especially if you are coming from TF10 or other bass prominent phones due to different sound signatures. I would rate the bass impact from most to least in this order from what I have heard:

1. Denon C751
2. UE TF10
3. Crossroads Bijou 3

-----Noticeable difference below this line compared to above-----

4. ATH-CK10
5. Klipsch X5
6. Shure SCL4 and Head-Direct RE0
7. Etymotic ER4P

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #64 of 100
Thanks, not so bad. I also use the Sony X EQ to very good benefit, as it is almost like a bass boost with a decent amp. So glad to see it's at least ranked higher in your view than the RE0, X5 and 4P.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #65 of 100
Just added the Sony Hybrid Tips for the CK10. I was A/B'ing them with the stock tips the past couple of days. Let me tell you, it was very hard to tell them apart. Looks like I found a new favorite.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #67 of 100
@AwakenedBeing ... If it was hard to tell them apart, why do the Sonys get the nod? I was going to use hybrids as well, but what's the advantage? I know another CK10
owner said the hybrids were great with these phones.

Of course, maybe not.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #68 of 100
I tried the Sony Hybrids but found that I couldn't get a good fit with them for some reason. So now I'm using a biflange that I found around the house (I believe from a MEElectronic phone). The hybrids had a slightly larger soundstage, and perhaps more bass, but it wasn't too noticeable.

What is noticeable is that the greater the seal, the better the bass is on these phones. So an excellent seal is very important.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #69 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@AwakenedBeing ... If it was hard to tell them apart, why do the Sonys get the nod? I was going to use hybrids as well, but what's the advantage? I know another CK10
owner said the hybrids were great with these phones.

Of course, maybe not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Sony Hybrids but found that I couldn't get a good fit with them for some reason. So now I'm using a biflange that I found around the house (I believe from a MEElectronic phone). The hybrids had a slightly larger soundstage, and perhaps more bass, but it wasn't too noticeable.

What is noticeable is that the greater the seal, the better the bass is on these phones. So an excellent seal is very important.

The seal is what I like about them. With the stock tips, I would spend about 4 seconds or so to get the right seal and insertion. With the Sony, I just stick them in, and I am good to go. Very tight seal. Like Thrashingshrimp said, the bass isn't noticeable, but there is slightly more while retaining the same mids and highs.

If your ears are sensitive to harder silicone tips, then the Sony can be an excellent choice since they are much softer than the stock. It is even softer than the TF10 tips. It all depends on the person/ear comfort-wise. For me, I can wear both just as comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear the Sony tips works well for you. It was the total opposite for me.

Just goes to show just how subjective this hobby is.

Agreed. I read your impresssions and started to A/B for the past couple of days to see if I can duplicate what you were hearing but I couldn't.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #70 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I read your impresssions and started to A/B for the past couple of days to see if I can duplicate what you were hearing but I couldn't.

The only thing I can think is that the shorter Sony buds goes too deep into my ear opening or the angle for me just doesn't work right, causing the sound to be boomy and bass-heavy and almost muting the higher frequencies.

So...

Have you started wondering how the CK100's sound yet?

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #71 of 100
Thanks all re Sony hybrids. My experience with the hybrids is the larges (blue tube) deliver a perfect seal. The only phones they didn't work with for me was the ThinkSound Rain, which I ended up selling. Looking forward to the CK10s arrival on Thursday.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #72 of 100
@ Tstarn - how do the CK10s compare to the W2? The W2 seemed to be my next purchase coming from HF5, but these caught my eye also.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #73 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Tstarn - how do the CK10s compare to the W2? The W2 seemed to be my next purchase coming from HF5, but these caught my eye also.

Sorry, just caught your last post! CK10 v W2 thread
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #74 of 100
I will let you know, but I expect to keep both, since I do have the Um56 sleeves for the W2s, which, by the way, are also a fantastic IEM at the $200 price point (bought mine used). I like them more than the UM3X and even the W3 (though the latter might have been due to a fit issue, and I didn't have the custom sleeves at the time I owned the W3).

My guess is both the CK10s and the W2s are excellent, since I already believe the latter are. But different, which is why I will keep both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back