[Comparison] ATH-CK10 vs UE TF10 (Lots of pics...56k Warning!)
Jan 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #31 of 100
In my experience the CK 10 is far more clear, detailed, sweet, and musical than the TF 10. I find the treble with the TF 10 slightly grainy, but extremely smooth with the CK 10 and much more natural and unveiled. And to the question about the SA 6, the SA 6 is a nice phone, but nowhere near as detailed, clear and uncolored as the CK 10.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #33 of 100
I would be very surprised if you didn't like them. What will your source be?

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #34 of 100
On my laptop I use a Nuforce uDAC and for my portable I got a 3rd gen Ipod Nano with LOD to an ibasso T3. I'll be comparing it to my PFEs mostly

I expect they should sound quite similar, no? I'll probably keep one and ditch the other.

edit: Hrmm the order has been canceled for some reason... must have been out of stock.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #35 of 100
Soundstage - I've come to really appreciate the spacious soundstages of the IE8 and the TF10. I don't expect the CK10 to approach these IEMs in that regard, but how does its soundstage compare to the TF10 and the SE530? I found the soundstage of the UM3X to be too closed-in for my taste, hopefully the presentation of the CK10 sounds more expansive?

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #37 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks vorlon1, I appreciate your comments. I am tempted to try the CK10's. However, I've just read the OP's updated comparative comments and they're not compelling. The CK10 doesn't appear to be doing all that much better than the TF10, apart from vocals (which, I don't listen to much of) and build quality. I note that the OP reserves his most enthusiastic descriptions for the TF10's sound signature, which appears to be more engaging.

Now if the CK10 does have superior instrument separation, details and transparency than the TF10, then I'm interested. If it really is a BA alternative to the REO with a similar neutral presentation and is easier to drive unamped, then I'm very interested.

The TF10 sounds more engaging for pop, mainstream, dance, house, or bass-oriented songs in my opinion. As for vocals, instrumental, rock, or vocal trance songs, it is more of a hit and miss on the TF10 due to slightly recessed mids. It all depends on the song/genre.

The TF10 does have a better soundstage than the CK10. The TF10 reminds me a lot of a dynamic driver IEM. Open and airy. The CK10 is also good, just not as wide as the TF10 and doesn't have that open/airiness feel.

Guitars and cymbals sounds much cleaner on the CK10. Bass and drums are tighter and quicker. Post-rock or music with multiple layers are phenomenal on the CK10 because of its separation and transparency. Highs are crisp and smooth. They do not come across harsh nor sibilant to me.

As others have mentioned, the CK10 is very transparent and have amazing separation compared to the TF10. I have owned/listened to the Klipsch X5, SCL4, ER4P, and RE0 in the past. When it comes down to it, I like neutrality, separation, and transparency. Sound is all preference. What I hear and what someone else hears might be completely different.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #38 of 100
How would you describe the soundstage of the CK10? Do you find it more expansive than the REO from your memory? I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is a "closed-in", "up-front" sounding phone, or if it does have a nice sense of space and depth. As I mentioned in my preceding post, I found the "closed-in" presentation of the UM3X quite bothersome. I'm interested in the CK10 but I'd like to avoid making the same mistake again if possible.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #39 of 100
Chiming in -The REO is much more closed in sounding than the CK 10, at least to my ears. The CK 10 has more space and depth, plus all the other positive attributes that have been mentioned, like clarity, musicality, very natural tone, great transparency etc.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

How would you describe the soundstage of the CK10? Do you find it more expansive than the REO from your memory? I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is a "closed-in", "up-front" sounding phone, or if it does have a nice sense of space and depth. As I mentioned in my preceding post, I found the "closed-in" presentation of the UM3X quite bothersome. I'm interested in the CK10 but I'd like to avoid making the same mistake again if possible.

As for the soundstage, it is closely behind the TF10 in terms of sense of space and depth. My ears aren't as experienced as other members here on the forum, so it is very difficult to put what I hear in words.

If you can wait until this weekend, I will get my hands on the RE0 to compare to the TF10 and CK10.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

^ Oh, I can wait. I look forward to seeing your impressions.

Got a good listen to the CK10s. Bass and mids are more neutral and refined than the RE0s (which has relatively sloppy bass and recessed mids). Highs are at least equal to the RE0s, but I have a hard time determining which is better. Bass impact is just adequate, whereas the RE0 is slightly lacking and the TF10 is overbearing. I didn't switch tips, so I couldn't get a great deep seal, which may have affected soundstage. The soundstage seems a little small or in your head. The RE0 can throw applause and ambiance across the room, but the CK10s shortens the distance a bit. Separation, however, is definitely the best I've ever heard, making these very airy in their congested space. To better clarify: RE0s can distinguish far/close slightly better, but the CK10s are considerably more transparent between instruments. Because of the delta in transparency, I really couldn't tell if the CK10s actually have better highs than the RE0 or just sound better separated, because they both sound the same.

CK10s showcase detail effortlessly, while the RE0s require you to give a little attention to hear nuances.

If I were looking for neutral IEMs in this price range, it'd definitely be the CK10s. Very musical and analytical without sounding cold and calculating (my main problem with the RE0s).

Also the cable is the best I've seen. Wouldn't worry about them catching on clothes or cracking in cold weather. AT definitely spent some time on picking the right material and thickness. Seriously can't think of any weaknesses in this regard.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #44 of 100
I generally agree with Hung 0702, with an exception or two. I find the CK 10 is very sensitive to the tips used. With the Sony hybrids instead of the included tips the soundstage is much more open, and I would not call it constricted at all. It is not gigantic, but it sounds open and is good. I find the CK 10 is much sweeter and more musical sounding than the RE0, which can sound kind of etched, with not enough air or decay. As to the W3, I really liked them when I first had them, but the CK 10 is far better in clarity, definition, clarity of the highs, beauty of the midrange etc. The W3 has the bigger bass of course, but with the proper seal I find the bass of the CK 10s quite adequate and proportional to the overall sound it produces. Also the CK 10 does not need an amp, as it is quite efficient, but of course it sounds better with an amp, as I find it is very sensitive to sources and very much reflects the quality of the source.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #45 of 100
Decided to sell my TF10 after much debate and looking into portable or full-sized headphones.
atsmile.gif

Both the RE0 and CK10 are pretty good. I didn't get to listen to the RE0 this weekend, but Hung0702 had a chance to try my CK10. Thanks for your impressions. The tips probably did affect the sound since you couldn't get a deep seal. I also have some Sony Hybrid tips on the way this week. Maybe some other time I can do an A/B comparison between the two since they are more similar than the TF10 in terms of sound signature.

Both the RE0 and CK10 are great phones. Here is a quote from jant71 found in this thread that best sums up the RE0 and CK10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound-wise with certain tips they can sound as close as two different phones can. Tip rolling to both sound their best, the CK10 is smoother, has a larger soundstage and rolls off more slowly on the bass side of the spectrum. The CK10 has huge build, fit, isolation, size and looks advantages. The RE0 price has dropped $90 since I had the RE0 and the value factor has increased on them. The CK10 are the better phone, the RE0 are the better buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back